Sailors to seadogs

Jackie & Colins' adventures on the high seas.

09 April 2017
03 April 2017
03 April 2017
21 June 2016
13 March 2016
27 February 2016
27 February 2016
18 November 2015
12 November 2015
27 September 2015
15 September 2015 | Puerto Real Marina
07 September 2015
28 July 2015
26 July 2015 | Ile a Vache, Haiti
18 July 2015 | Ila a Vache Haiti

All's Well with the Windlass

19 January 2014 | Salinas Bay, Puerto Rico
Jackie
Another wonderful day with Williams on the water! Last night we decided we should have a day off after the bilge cleaning marathon. We really wanted to go for a sail but first we need to check that the windlass works (that's the winch that hauls up the chain and anchor). Janso described it as 'tired' but Col is convinced it wasn't working well because the battery was playing up. So, having dropped the anchor a couple of days ago we started the engine to get ready. Oh no, Col notices the batteries are very low, why? He wrestles with this for a while and eventually discovers a wire from the alternator regulator has come off - no, don't ask, I did and just got gobble-de-gook, something to do with a field!? At least we know the batteries are OK now so we can start again. First we agree on hand signals, Col will be at the bow giving hand signals whilst I am at the helm and using the remote windlass control. Should be OK, I'm a woman after all and we are supposed to be good at multi-tasking. By now we have decided that we should not attempt a sail but just get this windlass testing out of the way and that will be enough for one day on our plan to do baby-steps until we're confident.

Col and I agree on a method for taking off the snubbers (extra warps (ropes) on a hook to take the strain of the anchor chain off the windlass). Col completes this task as I make my way back to the helm. Moving slowly forward, I press the 'Up' button and up comes the chain. Col's hand signals are pretty clear, if a little balletic, and I try and keep the boat on course with one hand whilst operating the windlass with the other. Its a bit stop and start but eventually I get the two thumbs up and the anchor is clear. Then its out to sea for a short motor into deeper water so I can turn around. By now the wind has got up as we head out into open water and Picaroon rides the waves well as I turn her full circle to head back into Salinas Bay.

Its Sunday and tomorrow is yet another Puerto Rican holiday so there are lots of power boats, fishing boats, jetskis and other floating obstacles coming towards us as we enter the narrow channel. Nobody seems to bother about passing starboard to starboard so I just go with the flow and keep Picaroon out of the shallows. We decide on a spot to drop the anchor and approach slowly. Again I am required to multi-task at the helm but as the wind pushes us around I completely forget about steering and the boat is swinging all over the place as I let he anchor chain run moving slowly back rather erratically. Eventually the wind sorts us out and we are safely on anchor, checking transits (no not vans, just two static points on land) to make sure we are not moving.

Phew! well now we can relax. After about ten minutes, Colin says, we really should fix the dingy! So here we are at the Snack bar at the end of a long day. We ended up really filthy dragging the dingy ashore, fixing three punctures and cleaning off the marine life on the bottom. At least it wasn't the two inch coral reef we were welcomed with when first introduced to our dingy but it was bad enough. After we had finished, Col slipped badly on some mud, I split my trousers from knee to crutch and then sat on his little finger getting into the dingy. Still that's boating as Janso would say! And the Budweiser is cold and going down very well indeed. Time for another!
Comments
Vessel Name: Picaroon
Vessel Make/Model: Hardin Sea Wolf (Formosa 41)
Hailing Port: Luperon Dominican Republic
Crew: Jackie and Colin Williams
About: We had never sailed until September 09 when we went on a RYA Start yachting course in Largs in Scotland. We have this plan to learn how to sail a 36ft boat around the Caribbean, in about 2 years time. 2011/12 now updated to August 2013
Extra:
We moved out of the UK in September 2013 and bought ourselves a boat, she's a Hardin Sea Wolf and we have been fixing her in Salinas in Puerto Rico. In May we set sail for the Dominican Republic where well be for the summer of 14 then next November we set sail for new horizons. It's adventure [...]
Picaroon's Photos - Main
Luperon, Haiti, Cuba and Jamaica
No Photos
Created 18 May 2015
4 Photos
Created 29 March 2014
shakedown voyage
8 Photos
Created 26 March 2014
2 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
Picaroon
22 Photos
Created 15 October 2013