Commotion on Comocean

25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
22 January 2020 | Grand Bahama Yacht Club
19 January 2020 | Ft. Pierce to West End, Baahamas
29 December 2019 | Coral Harbor, Naassau
27 December 2019 | Chubb Cay
29 August 2019 | Vero Beach, FL
17 March 2019
01 March 2019
06 February 2019
28 January 2019 | Hope Town Lodge
23 January 2019 | Hope Town Inn and Marina
21 January 2019 | Hope Town
18 January 2019 | Tillo Cay, Bahamas
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock

Move Day

17 March 2012 | Marina Cay
Toby Hynes
Today was “move Day”. Joanne and I have pretty much left the forward berth to our guests. With Helen gone and a few days to experiment before our friends the Tripps arrive, it must have just felt like the moment to change for Joanne. Once she finds purpose, and she does think it through very thoroughly, it’s time to get out of the way.
You would think this is not such a big thing. There are pros and cons for both decisions. In the Sabre 426, most would think the forward berth was the “master” berth. More head room, a private door and a closer access with a second door to the head. We have updated both berths with new mattresses (a must for living aboard) so, the sleeping is basically equal. However, there are differences.
The forward berth has a very convenient hatch in the nightly squalls. It’s easy to reach. However, the skipper is always up, closing the other hatches, checking the mooring or anchor, or just being the skipper. At this age there is also the twice a night trip to the john! Back to why the forward berth is better? There appears to be more head room. Having now perfected the rear berth over these last few months my bruised elbows and head can vouch for more head room. The space appears to be about equal for storing things… although different. The forward berth has lots of drawers. The rear berth has counter space. Counter space for a small roller suitcase…that’s a big deal. Also, counter space for all of Toby’s s—t.
The rear berth also has some promise. More room (larger bedding area). There is more visible storage area .Also, a private sink for make up in the morning. It’s close to the helm table to check instruments at night. There is also a small hatch, screened and, more importantly, protected by the Bimini. It’s also the place with the least sound in the middle of the occasional neighborhood “drink, chug-a-lug” nights.
By 4:00 the Joanne whirlwind, and it is amazing, was complete. Everything is in a place…for now…and ready for the supreme test. Fortunately, a catamaran here in Marina Cay is up for our challenge. Clearly a party building and one particular woman with a laugh that travels well over water. All we need are a few rain squalls to test things out!
Comments
Vessel Name: Comocean
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 426
Hailing Port: Osterville, Ma
Crew: JoAnne and Toby Hynes
About:
JoAnne and Toby are enjoying their early retirement years following in the footsteps of their children. Seth at 32 led the way when he and his new bride, Elizabeth, sailed their Lagoon 380 from Hampton, Va. to Sydney, Australia. [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/comoceanadventure/
Comocean's Photos - Main
Here are a few shots from the past of the Hynes family enjoying their boats.
22 Photos
Created 6 November 2011
Here are some of the first pictures of Toby and JoAnne on their new boat, Comocean. Seth, Elizabeth and Hale joined them!
7 Photos
Created 6 November 2011