Commotion on Comocean

25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
22 January 2020 | Grand Bahama Yacht Club
19 January 2020 | Ft. Pierce to West End, Baahamas
29 December 2019 | Coral Harbor, Naassau
27 December 2019 | Chubb Cay
29 August 2019 | Vero Beach, FL
17 March 2019
01 March 2019
06 February 2019
28 January 2019 | Hope Town Lodge
23 January 2019 | Hope Town Inn and Marina
21 January 2019 | Hope Town
18 January 2019 | Tillo Cay, Bahamas
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock

Day 6: Arrival!

09 May 2012
Picture: Comocean's current location as reported via SPOT transceiver.

Author: Toby

Comocean was truly moving quickly. While some boats were able to motor by us with either larger engines or less fear of running out of diesel, we seem really fast in certain points of sail. These Sabre yachts handle beautifully. The balance is great and the helm minimal. Also exciting is the way John Hoffman can trim a set of sails. He gets that extra ten per cent out of the rig. Norm is really catching on and played the gusts in the NNE winds to pull us up above the lay line. This has become really important. The full team seems into it as we now sail in the plus sevens on every different wind pattern. Winds at 11 knots are getting us near seven knots of speed.

As we screamed through the night, the winds slowly moved to the west, making the last hours of this first leg smoother and more comfortable for everyone. This was needed as we are tiring of the 25 degree tilt and bucking of the waves. Dinner proved a challenge. Everyone opted for sandwiches....but no bread. I cooked Joel's previously prepared and frozen noodles, threw in some shrimp and added pasta from Ragu, and everyone seemed to get it down. God bless Parmesan Cheese...and lots of it!

Now, the report out on showering from the fantail. First, never unclip at sea...unless 100 per cent of the canvas enclosure is up. Then, position yourself on the very low corner of the boat, with salt water soap, then add the rear fresh water shower fixture and spray and lather away. It works. Somehow it also seems to clear the rear cockpit of all crew except the helmsman. Sorry Norm!

Getting close to land causes great excitement. John Hoffman stayed up well into the night saying that "this is what he came for". At 2:00, the beginning of my shift, I heard John calling Bermuda Radio informing them we were 25 miles out. When I got to the helm, I saw that we were closing in on Field Trip, a 44 Antares Catamaran owned by Mark and Sara Silverstein, blog buddies of Seth and Elizabeth (Honeymoon), our son and daughter-in-law. They are cruising with their seven year old daughter and four year old son. More excitement. Then lights from land, followed by Norm driving us to the close at Spit Buoy. Bermuda is surrounded by reefs...big reefs. Getting in went well, as we passed through a very tight wall that the entry to St. George's has been cut through. I would never try it in the dark the first time. Now, I think I could do it if there is some moon and light winds. Bermuda Radio sent us to the Customs Dock where Brian from the Dingy Club met us. When they arrived at eight am, it was a quick and professional entry into the country. Then over to the Dingy Club, where the Vice Commodore Chris met us and helped us into our dock. What a great bunch of people. They scrounged up extra electric lines and helped us to a breakfast inside the club. My compliments and thanks to them as well as the great FwCC team!

We were met dockside by Joanne and Sue. I really loved seeing them at the dock as we pulled in! Then future crew and his wife, Ed and Mary Roland joined us. Now we get ready for leg 2, and enjoy Bermuda together.
Comments
Vessel Name: Comocean
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 426
Hailing Port: Osterville, Ma
Crew: JoAnne and Toby Hynes
About:
JoAnne and Toby are enjoying their early retirement years following in the footsteps of their children. Seth at 32 led the way when he and his new bride, Elizabeth, sailed their Lagoon 380 from Hampton, Va. to Sydney, Australia. [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/comoceanadventure/
Comocean's Photos - Main
Here are a few shots from the past of the Hynes family enjoying their boats.
22 Photos
Created 6 November 2011
Here are some of the first pictures of Toby and JoAnne on their new boat, Comocean. Seth, Elizabeth and Hale joined them!
7 Photos
Created 6 November 2011