Commotion on Comocean

25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
22 January 2020 | Grand Bahama Yacht Club
19 January 2020 | Ft. Pierce to West End, Baahamas
29 December 2019 | Coral Harbor, Naassau
27 December 2019 | Chubb Cay
29 August 2019 | Vero Beach, FL
17 March 2019
01 March 2019
06 February 2019
28 January 2019 | Hope Town Lodge
23 January 2019 | Hope Town Inn and Marina
21 January 2019 | Hope Town
18 January 2019 | Tillo Cay, Bahamas
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock

Day 10: Turning toward the barn

15 May 2012
Author: Toby

We are just entering our fourth day on the second crossing. Last evening, ahead of our expected entry point to the Gulf Stream, we saw a cargo ship adrift (similar to anchored), saw the water temperature jump to 80 degrees, and realized we were in the stream. With a south, south west wind, the chop was reasonable, the fishing lines were set and the sun was rising. This was spectacular.

Earlier, Bob and I had set the Genoa and then later the Main. I decided on a double reef as the wind speed was gusting close to 20. I failed to start with the first reef line as Bob had an issue to manage downstairs, and we got everything locked together. With the reefing lines at the rear of the sail fouled, Bob and I struggled to get the reefs straight. Bob fiddled with the first line, cleared it and we were double reefed for the day and in business. We were also sailing along at 7 plus knots, turning further north toward our target and using the Gulf Stream to add a few extra knots.

A call to Seth in the morning gave us another weather update and more importantly a number showing we had activated our float plan. A call later today to officer Enos, will helpfully allow us to continue our course to Osterville, hopefully ahead of some predicted 20-25 knot weather. Fortunately we will be on a run, which should reduce the effect of those winds.

Today was momentous. We moved the spare 5 gallon water cans out of the shower stall. We brought out the towels, and had our first showers (most of us that is, but I won't tell who didn't). Now, with fresh clothes, we are on a run to the finish line. Although pitching back and forth from the waves, we are generally flat. We feel a bit like the proverbial nag, headed back to the barn.

Arrival estimate, depending on Officer Enos, noon tomorrow!
Comments
Vessel Name: Comocean
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 426
Hailing Port: Osterville, Ma
Crew: JoAnne and Toby Hynes
About:
JoAnne and Toby are enjoying their early retirement years following in the footsteps of their children. Seth at 32 led the way when he and his new bride, Elizabeth, sailed their Lagoon 380 from Hampton, Va. to Sydney, Australia. [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/comoceanadventure/
Comocean's Photos - Main
Here are a few shots from the past of the Hynes family enjoying their boats.
22 Photos
Created 6 November 2011
Here are some of the first pictures of Toby and JoAnne on their new boat, Comocean. Seth, Elizabeth and Hale joined them!
7 Photos
Created 6 November 2011