Commotion on Comocean

25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
22 January 2020 | Grand Bahama Yacht Club
19 January 2020 | Ft. Pierce to West End, Baahamas
29 December 2019 | Coral Harbor, Naassau
27 December 2019 | Chubb Cay
29 August 2019 | Vero Beach, FL
17 March 2019
01 March 2019
06 February 2019
28 January 2019 | Hope Town Lodge
23 January 2019 | Hope Town Inn and Marina
21 January 2019 | Hope Town
18 January 2019 | Tillo Cay, Bahamas
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock

Quick trip to Saba

28 February 2013 | Saba Island
Toby Hynes

Joanne and I had heard from our friends Shaun and Neill Sullivan that they had done a day trip to Saba and said it was great. Joanne and I thought we might give it a try and made flight reservations for a day/night trip over and back. Winair fly's Canadian DeHavlens into the shortest commercial runway in the world. FLIGHT you said! Yes! Saba is all mountain (Volcano). And the harbor, of sorts has been cut straight into the rocks. The anchorage is...well not. The few mooring balls are your only hope and you get to rock and roll all night long.

The twelve minute flight ends with the tips of the planes starboard side about 20 feet from the mountain. The runway was built by a flyer who did not accept the decision from the Dutch government that it could not be done. Everything in Saba cannot be done. The roads could not be built, the boats built at the turn of the century could not be carried down the mountain to be launched. These are very special people and Saba is the cleanest, neatest, kindliest island we have visited in the Caribbean. What a great surprise.

Donna, our cab driver met us at the airport. Straight to the hotel, which was a 100 step walk up to the office. She called, they were out of the office and we headed off to lunch and a tour of the island, by cab. The roads are unbelievable. All concrete, in perfect condition and constantly being maintained. They are built with stone walls on both sides. Obviously the stone cleared to make the road. The two roads are named, "The Road that Couldn't be built" and, "The Road That Shouldn't be Built". The towns were named, appropriately, Bottom and Waterside. The hills carried names, like Mt. Scenery. While the island is Dutch, the founders included a lot of folks from Ireland. It now all made sense. The island has three colors: White, Green and Red. It’s easy to buy paint. But what a cute and quaint place.
Comments
Vessel Name: Comocean
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 426
Hailing Port: Osterville, Ma
Crew: JoAnne and Toby Hynes
About:
JoAnne and Toby are enjoying their early retirement years following in the footsteps of their children. Seth at 32 led the way when he and his new bride, Elizabeth, sailed their Lagoon 380 from Hampton, Va. to Sydney, Australia. [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/comoceanadventure/
Comocean's Photos - Main
Here are a few shots from the past of the Hynes family enjoying their boats.
22 Photos
Created 6 November 2011
Here are some of the first pictures of Toby and JoAnne on their new boat, Comocean. Seth, Elizabeth and Hale joined them!
7 Photos
Created 6 November 2011