Commotion on Comocean

25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
22 January 2020 | Grand Bahama Yacht Club
19 January 2020 | Ft. Pierce to West End, Baahamas
29 December 2019 | Coral Harbor, Naassau
27 December 2019 | Chubb Cay
29 August 2019 | Vero Beach, FL
17 March 2019
01 March 2019
06 February 2019
28 January 2019 | Hope Town Lodge
23 January 2019 | Hope Town Inn and Marina
21 January 2019 | Hope Town
18 January 2019 | Tillo Cay, Bahamas
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock

Happy Easter

31 March 2013 | South of Puerto Rico
Toby Hynes
Happy Easter…comes in shifts on Comocean. I just awoke hearing John and Tom telling stories about some experiences with ministry both have experienced. One, about a priest, whose non-traditional Catholic looks, didn’t match his mesmerizing ability to communicate grace. Each of us has wished each other a Happy Easter...however we fall into our work assignments without blinking as we rely on each other to make this passage LESS eventful and safe. Why not spend Easter, off the coast of the Dominican Republic. Although not talking much politics, we have commented upon how the Sequester has killed the White House Easter Egg hunt.
Seth Hynes has very consistently kept us apprised of the weather that we would experience. Based on our mutual experiences, we took that knowledge, coupled with our feelings about the ships management of the swells, winds, and currents, and had opted for a jog to the south for the 100 mile crossing of Puerto Rico. What we found south, was totally different weather. There were winds well below 20, following seas and clear skies. John Hoffman threw together great chicken sandwiches for lunch. The bag of Pringles appears to be gone as part of the accompaniments.
Just as we entered the Mono Passage between Puerto Rico (PR) and the Dominican Republic, I prepared the Flank Steak, wild rice and vegetable dinner. The crossing, for me (Toby) was uneventful. Post dinner, and heated up from the Oven that warmed the Flank Steak as well as aware that I had the 2-6 AM shift (shared in part with Tom Trimmer and Norm Weill), headed to the lee berth for 6 hours of sporadic sleep. The team marched up the passage. Comocean got a much needed bath from the front that developed off Puerto Rico. While the currents, dark, and unknown kept it interesting, we passed Mono Island and, with the intense current entering the pass from the Atlantic, motored to make sure we did not have an uncalled for Dominican landing. Our course over ground was at times 30 degrees further west then our North bound boat heading.
Rounding the passage, we are now well out of the converging currents of the Strait. The ride, although influenced greatly by the Atlantic Ocean with North swells, is easily manageable by Comocean. With apparent winds out of the ENE at 18-20 we are proceeding on our course toward a position just to the south of the Turks and Caicos. Everyone has commented on the royal blueness of the Atlantic Ocean. We have managed by three Commercial ships without any concern. We should arrive at the Turks tomorrow morning. Holding 6-7.8 knots, we should be there ahead of schedule despite our jog to the South of PR.
This morning, Ron Theis and I untangled the fishing lines. Norm got into the action as a holder, Tom Trimmer arose to complete the untangling assignment, all have held to their assigned times at the helm. Although the roughness of the passage will make dinner preparation a decision to opt for a pre mixed pasta, I will chill one bottle of white wine for our Easter celebration. It probably will go unopened. The Comocean team ends with Happy Easter message to you all.
Comments
Vessel Name: Comocean
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 426
Hailing Port: Osterville, Ma
Crew: JoAnne and Toby Hynes
About:
JoAnne and Toby are enjoying their early retirement years following in the footsteps of their children. Seth at 32 led the way when he and his new bride, Elizabeth, sailed their Lagoon 380 from Hampton, Va. to Sydney, Australia. [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/comoceanadventure/
Comocean's Photos - Main
Here are a few shots from the past of the Hynes family enjoying their boats.
22 Photos
Created 6 November 2011
Here are some of the first pictures of Toby and JoAnne on their new boat, Comocean. Seth, Elizabeth and Hale joined them!
7 Photos
Created 6 November 2011