Commotion on Comocean

25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
22 January 2020 | Grand Bahama Yacht Club
19 January 2020 | Ft. Pierce to West End, Baahamas
29 December 2019 | Coral Harbor, Naassau
27 December 2019 | Chubb Cay
29 August 2019 | Vero Beach, FL
17 March 2019
01 March 2019
06 February 2019
28 January 2019 | Hope Town Lodge
23 January 2019 | Hope Town Inn and Marina
21 January 2019 | Hope Town
18 January 2019 | Tillo Cay, Bahamas
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock

Headed to the banks

08 April 2013
Toby Hynes
Once the front cleared, and there really was a front as predicted by Chris parker, we were off and running. The period before the front was boat basin as usual. Lots of old guys hanging around the “club house” (substitute any other word like, dock, yacht club, country club, Starbucks, etc.) talking about the weather. The truth is, Chris had stirred things up. And as Seth told me, there are truths and half-truths running rampant! Everyone has an opinion. Bill on Margareta (wife’s Margaret) who is a seven year Bahamian transplant knew the best answer was patience no matter what. He shared his Explorer Charts, gave me the way points we finally used to cross to Cat Cay (exit to the Gulf Stream), and his “special route” cross the Highbourne Cay to The Tongue. These worked and the best proof was the 200 foot freighter we crossed paths with in the night. While we might have gone the day before, around Nassau and the Highbourne Cut there were plenty of squalls the night before.
We were itching to go. We listened to weather at 6:30. We had coffee and breakfast by 7:00. We had the assignment on lines and electric cords done by 7:45…and the front finally hit. Wed sat in the vessel from 7:30 to 9:30 before the rain moved to mist, the back edge of the front blew through, and we took off. We started into a north sea for about 2 hours, and then things became glorious. A little sail with motor poked its head out of Comocean, then a sail only point and finally 14-16 knots of ENE moving to East winds reach.
We moved along fast enough to make the Dotham Cut into the Exuma Bank. We went through with high sun. It was exciting and beautiful. The waters were clear, turquoise and sparkling. We ended up with two on the foredeck. Tom Trimmer, assigned to signal directions through the channel, and John Hoffman, in excitement, unable to control himself. Norm was on the main, easing it out, to let the motor manage the crossing. Once in, we followed the Explorer routes all the way to our crossing to the Tongue route. (Note: I am intentionally not mentioning where the Tongue is, forcing you as a reader the job of joining us on this trip, by pulling out a map or chart, or “Googling” to find it). In the daylight, it’s exciting. At night, with no moon and 8 foot depth readings, it’s at times scary. I think John also used the word terrifying. As I have the 2:00 AM to 6:00 AM shift, I was downstairs, occasionally waking to look at the charts on my I-Pad, listening to the crews mumbles. By the end of my shift we finally crossed to the Tongue.
The crossing would not have been made without the great Explorer Chart routes. It would also not have worked except for the way points made by Norm. Easy task you think. Well, listening to our two most tech crew, Norm and Tom talking about the Raymarine software, they described their real feelings. To quote norm, the only way to make it work, is with the assistance of the “Operator User Interface Interposer”. I think that’s Geek talk for only the program writer really knows how to use it…even if he/she doesn't really know how it works.
As we finish up our probable last two days, we have perfect conditions. Fourteen knots out of the east, clear skies and starlit nights.
Comments
Vessel Name: Comocean
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 426
Hailing Port: Osterville, Ma
Crew: JoAnne and Toby Hynes
About:
JoAnne and Toby are enjoying their early retirement years following in the footsteps of their children. Seth at 32 led the way when he and his new bride, Elizabeth, sailed their Lagoon 380 from Hampton, Va. to Sydney, Australia. [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/comoceanadventure/
Comocean's Photos - Main
Here are a few shots from the past of the Hynes family enjoying their boats.
22 Photos
Created 6 November 2011
Here are some of the first pictures of Toby and JoAnne on their new boat, Comocean. Seth, Elizabeth and Hale joined them!
7 Photos
Created 6 November 2011