Commotion on Comocean

25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
22 January 2020 | Grand Bahama Yacht Club
19 January 2020 | Ft. Pierce to West End, Baahamas
29 December 2019 | Coral Harbor, Naassau
27 December 2019 | Chubb Cay
29 August 2019 | Vero Beach, FL
17 March 2019
01 March 2019
06 February 2019
28 January 2019 | Hope Town Lodge
23 January 2019 | Hope Town Inn and Marina
21 January 2019 | Hope Town
18 January 2019 | Tillo Cay, Bahamas
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock

Morning Has Rosen

05 November 2013 | Off Cheaspeake
Toby Hynes
Morning has Rosen
No big surprise, but, the sun rose today on schedule. We had a good first day with plenty of wind and 6-10 foot waves. Heading out to Hatteras was extremely rolly, and given the conditions the crew is in pretty good shape. We crossed the Hatteras light about 1:30 am and started to turn south. That puts the north east wind on our quarter and Comocean has started to flatten out. The northeast breeze over the Gulf Stream has two already in shorts and everyone starting to strip off clothes. The long johns are probably history…hurrah.
We had a beautiful night with clear skies after a sliver of sunset (photo). There seemed to be a reasonable amount of sleep among the crew given the rocking. Norm just finished the morning VHF call session which he is leading. The five boats close to us all reported in and continue to move south. We are gating our speed to both stay near these vessels but also not arrive at the Gulf Stream tomorrow too early. Too early is designated as we are waiting for the Northeast breeze to clock to the east, as a NE breeze over a north moving current ends up with a look similar to your top loader washing machine after you open it on wash. But, the ride feels like you climbed into the dryer at full cycle.
Seth relayed new GRIB (Weather, Wave, and barometric) data last night and we have the projected south winds filling in Thursday. We want to get south quickly to limit the slowed progress of a south wind in our south bound face.
John Hoffman has started the fishing with new lures Toby bought that guarantee Mahi-Mahi (Dolphin). Animal lovers, that’s Dolphin species…not porpoise. We do have a bet on the first porpoise siting. As we are still fairly enclosed in our full canvas enclosure, I do not expect that bet to be won for another day. Of course, that’s my bet.
We are headed toward Cape Fear (remember the movie) before turning south east to get across the Gulf Stream.
Comments
Vessel Name: Comocean
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 426
Hailing Port: Osterville, Ma
Crew: JoAnne and Toby Hynes
About:
JoAnne and Toby are enjoying their early retirement years following in the footsteps of their children. Seth at 32 led the way when he and his new bride, Elizabeth, sailed their Lagoon 380 from Hampton, Va. to Sydney, Australia. [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/comoceanadventure/
Comocean's Photos - Main
Here are a few shots from the past of the Hynes family enjoying their boats.
22 Photos
Created 6 November 2011
Here are some of the first pictures of Toby and JoAnne on their new boat, Comocean. Seth, Elizabeth and Hale joined them!
7 Photos
Created 6 November 2011