Commotion on Comocean

25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
22 January 2020 | Grand Bahama Yacht Club
19 January 2020 | Ft. Pierce to West End, Baahamas
29 December 2019 | Coral Harbor, Naassau
27 December 2019 | Chubb Cay
29 August 2019 | Vero Beach, FL
17 March 2019
01 March 2019
06 February 2019
28 January 2019 | Hope Town Lodge
23 January 2019 | Hope Town Inn and Marina
21 January 2019 | Hope Town
18 January 2019 | Tillo Cay, Bahamas
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock

C1500 Gulf Stream Briefings

06 December 2011 | Nanny Cay, Tortola, BVI
Picture: Another shot from a pre-departure briefing
Author: Toby

It's interesting how hyped up you can get in anticipation. I know that my excitement kept building as we proceeded through the pre-race work and briefings. And sailors "Talk." Everyone has a source and an opinion. Chris Parker, a paid weather router says, "Don't Go till Saturday." Other Captains said, "this is the minute we will get ahead of the front." There are more experts than the Weather Channel. And it all gets distorted as the information moves from boat to boat. I decided, let's go with the fleet.

During the Captain's Briefings, before what was presumed to be the race start, weather and general info was reviewed. This included the "most recent" Atlantic current files which emphasized the Gulf Stream. Info provided was clear. Here is the best entry point, mid point and exit point for the "Stream," which, I might add, they nailed!

Then there was a class on eddies. Eddies are circular currents that, if they are cold water eddies run one way. and if warm water run the other. We had plotted a path that would take us from the Gulf Stream to the quickest eddy south. WOW did we miss it. In fact, we missed them all. There was as much as 2.9 knots of current against us as we came through the first eddie. We were constantly faced with currents fighting us that were never on the original current chart. My guess, Tropical Storm Sean changed everything. We did have a very safe crossing of the Gulf Stream. For that I am thankful. Maximum, 1 knot taking us North. We got through fast. The dreaded waves caused by a strong current across a countering north east wind were negligible. And the fishing...It was great. Mahi-Mahi and one Tuna on (not in the boat). But we got better from the experience.

Thank you Andy Schell, Rick Palm and Steve Black for your hard work and candid information. You made crossing the dreaded Gulf Stream seem easy.
Comments
Vessel Name: Comocean
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 426
Hailing Port: Osterville, Ma
Crew: JoAnne and Toby Hynes
About:
JoAnne and Toby are enjoying their early retirement years following in the footsteps of their children. Seth at 32 led the way when he and his new bride, Elizabeth, sailed their Lagoon 380 from Hampton, Va. to Sydney, Australia. [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/comoceanadventure/
Comocean's Photos - Main
Here are a few shots from the past of the Hynes family enjoying their boats.
22 Photos
Created 6 November 2011
Here are some of the first pictures of Toby and JoAnne on their new boat, Comocean. Seth, Elizabeth and Hale joined them!
7 Photos
Created 6 November 2011