Commotion on Comocean

25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
25 March 2020 | Ft. Pierce, FL
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
23 March 2020 | Chubb Cay, Bahamas
22 January 2020 | Grand Bahama Yacht Club
19 January 2020 | Ft. Pierce to West End, Baahamas
29 December 2019 | Coral Harbor, Naassau
27 December 2019 | Chubb Cay
29 August 2019 | Vero Beach, FL
17 March 2019
01 March 2019
06 February 2019
28 January 2019 | Hope Town Lodge
23 January 2019 | Hope Town Inn and Marina
21 January 2019 | Hope Town
18 January 2019 | Tillo Cay, Bahamas
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock
10 January 2019 | Green Turtle Cay. Lanyard Dock

Day 5: Beating to Bermuda

08 May 2012
Author: Toby Hynes

Since our last report out, we have entered an enormous pressure system. We moved as we entered it into serious clouds and squalls. Initial winds were 10-15 knots but shifted as we approached the system to 17-19. John and Norm decided a reef was important, so we threw in a first reef on the main. We decided to leave the genoa fully out. The boat began to race at close to eight knots as the genoa drove us, bow down, through some serious weather. From that moment on we have been hauling at a 25 degree tilt. As the winds picked up, the sea was confused, and water over the transom became normal. One wave, as Norm had just begun the :30 P.M. SSB call, found Norm at the helm table with about a half a gallon of fresh salt water, We have moved to now sailing with the hatch cover closed. Norm is also more sympathetic to Joel, who while sleeping the first day took one gallon into the salon couch (lee Bed).

If you have read earlier entries to Comocean's blog, you might remember a guest entry by John Hoffman (current crew member). These might be good reading now for Ed Roland and Bob Fields who will join Norm and me for the second leg to Cape Cod. The one most appropriate point he made about preparing for a trip on Comocean in the Caribbean 1500 was, "to stand in the shower, with one women's 6 inch high heel on, and have your wife throw a bucket of cold water at you".

Preparing dinner was a bit complex. While the team was willingly ready to go for a second round of turkey or baloney sandwiches, the skipper felt a heartier meal in order. However, it would be a nuclear event. We turned the engine on to get sufficient amps to use the inverter and microwave. Chicken Parmesan and String Beans were served. At that time it was DARK! We had heavy cloud cover and no moon working for us. It was the same feeling we had the first six hours of the 1500 every night.
With the size of the pressure system, a report from Brizo, an Oyster 55 about to enter Bermuda this morning, that they also have our 9-11 knot NNE winds right on our bow, and a little info last night from Seth, I believe we will make a landing early on the 9th... everyone could live with this given the no wind first three days.

We have done a little pick up around the boat this morning. Stowed trash picked up the food dropped last night, the coffee grounds just spilled, and the debris that went flying as we entered this tack. The Skipper has suggested a team shower on the fantail, which was met with lukewarm results. The skipper shall show leadership, however, and appear ready with towel and soap in the cockpit at noon. Joanne will confirm this is not a pretty sight. The skipper will not report out at a later date on whether there were any other takers. Comocean adheres to the famed what happens in Vegas adage.
Comments
Vessel Name: Comocean
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 426
Hailing Port: Osterville, Ma
Crew: JoAnne and Toby Hynes
About:
JoAnne and Toby are enjoying their early retirement years following in the footsteps of their children. Seth at 32 led the way when he and his new bride, Elizabeth, sailed their Lagoon 380 from Hampton, Va. to Sydney, Australia. [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/comoceanadventure/
Comocean's Photos - Main
Here are a few shots from the past of the Hynes family enjoying their boats.
22 Photos
Created 6 November 2011
Here are some of the first pictures of Toby and JoAnne on their new boat, Comocean. Seth, Elizabeth and Hale joined them!
7 Photos
Created 6 November 2011