Travels with Complexity

16 September 2019 | Pangkor Marina, Malaysia
08 July 2017 | Dili, Timor-Leste
02 July 2017 | Ambon, Indonesia
08 June 2017 | Sorong, Indonesia, at anchor on South Side of Doom Island
06 May 2017 | Royal Belau Yacht Club mooring, Malakal Palau
05 May 2017 | Malakal, Palau
05 May 2017 | Malarial, Palau off Sam's Tours
13 April 2017 | Royal Belau Yacht Club, Malakal, Palau
12 April 2017 | Royal Belau Yacht Club, Malakal, Palau
15 March 2017 | Rock Islands, Palau
14 March 2017 | Coffin Anchorage, Rock Islands, Palau
13 March 2017 | Fish Net Anchorage, Rock Islands, Palau
04 February 2017 | Malakal, Palau
21 December 2016 | Malakal Port, Palau
20 December 2016
18 December 2016
17 December 2016
17 December 2016
15 December 2016
14 December 2016

Dinghy Lost and Found

04 February 2017 | Malakal, Palau
Barbara/calm and humid weather
Shortly after arriving in Palau from Palau New Guinea, I travelled home for a month for family time. Jim stayed with the boat as it was not in a good place to leave unattended. I arrived back at the airport in Koror, Palau after 30 hours of travel. could not take their assigned seats. My flight left Honolulu half an hour late and missed the connecting flight to Palau in Guam.

United rerouted me through Manila so I arrived much later at 2:20 am instead of 7:30 pm. United was going to call Jim with the changed schedule. Unfortunately he had run out of phone minutes so never got the message, did not meet my plane and I could not reach him by phone after arrival. Many kind people offered rides but I did not accept thinking Jim was just running late. I finally accepted a ride from the last United agent departing the airport. I had no way to get to the boat from the dock, so had stale coffee with the night watchman until Jim woke up around 5:30 am and found my text messages which got through.

Jim hurried out on deck to come get me only to find the dinghy missing. He paddled ashore in one of our kayaks in the dark and pouring tropical rain. After confirming I was there and a brief chat Jim paddled back to the boat for the second kayak and our big dry bags. We used our kayaks to transport luggage and me to the boat. Travel does not always go as planned. We just have to roll with the punches!

Friends from another boat lent their dinghy and outboard. Jim searched the vicinity thoroughly. We then called the local water rangers and police so that if it was found they would know that we had not fallen overboard. A search and rescue effort could be avoided. Also, if the dinghy was reported found they would have our phone numbers. Jim hiked into the newspaper office in pouring down rain to put an ad in the newspapers offering a reward for the dinghy.

We have company coming for a two-week visit in a few days. It would be a challenge managing four people without the dinghy. We started looking at options given that there are no dinghies for sale locally.

Crews from Sam's Tours dive boats offered to look for the dinghy while out conducting SCUBA, snorkeling and kayaking tours. Friends offered to lend us their dinghies for trips until we replaced ours.

We got a call first thing this morning from someone whose brother had found our missing dinghy. It had traveled out through the Pinchers to the Rock Islands by itself! Jim had searched as far as the Pinchers in a borrowed dinghy the morning the dinghy disappeared.

Someone had seen the newspaper ad Jim posted offering a reward. The paper was distributed this morning so it got results very fast. In less than an hour after the call the state water police in their Search and Rescue boat delivered our dinghy with the man who called right to our boat. We were very happy to hand him two crisp new $100 bills! I offered them a coffee but they had just gotten a Search and Rescue call and were off in a flash.

It would have cost at least $2000 to replace the dinghy itself not counting the very expensive shipping costs. It might not have been possible to get a new dinghy shipped to Palau. Jim has tried unsuccessfully for a month to get new solar panels shipped from the US to Palau. A new dinghy would have taken months to arrive by ship from the USA. We also would have had to replace the dinghy painter, lights, anchor, custom cable for locking the dingy ashore, seat cushion/locker and safety gear carried in the dingy. Yup, the finder was delighted to receive the $200 reward and we were very happy to pay it!

We are shopping for a replacement for our dingy. We are happy that we are not forced to do it right now! We are also very impressed with the kindness of many locals and cruisers who offered assistance.
Comments
Vessel Name: Complexity
Vessel Make/Model: Halberg Rassy 36
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA, USA
Crew: Jim, Barbara and Abi Cole
About:
We sailed from Seattle, USA to Port Stephens, Australia in 2008. Jim has since worked for Boeing at Williamtown Royal Australian Air Force Base on the Wedgetail airplane before retiring at the end of 2015. [...]
Extra: http://www.marinerescuensw.com.au barbara.cole@svcomplexity.com jw.cole@svcomplexity.com
Social:
Complexity's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 15 July 2017
September 2016
3 Photos
Created 16 September 2016
We spent months getting the boat and ourselves ready to go cruising again after living on the beach for seven years.
79 Photos
Created 7 May 2016
We took the summer of 2005 off from work and sailed to Glacier Bay, Alaska and back to Seattle. Jim and I made the whole trip. Meps and Barry cruised with us from Seattle to Juneau. Carol, Alex and Abby joined us for a week in Glacier Bay. Abby sailed the rest of the trip with us from Glacier Bay back to Seattle.
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 16 August 2005