Polite Compromise

Vessel Name: Compromise
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau/Oceanis 41
Hailing Port: Houston Texas
Crew: Karen and Ron Anderson
About: Married for 44 years. Kids grown and gone. Decided we wanted another adventure (like raising kids wasn't enough) and brag about it. The commodore and I are off on another one of our adventures.
Extra: I was once told that the secret to a successful marriage is polite compromise. I'm still not sure what is so polite about it.
Home Page: Facebook
05 April 2019 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama
26 January 2019 | Providencia, Colombia
17 October 2018 | Rio Dulce, MAR Marina
29 August 2018 | MAR Marina, Izabel, Guatemala
22 March 2018 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
13 December 2017 | Titusville, FL
28 November 2017 | Anchored just south of Brunswick, GA
08 August 2017 | Portsmouth, VA
19 July 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Marathon City Marina - Boot Key Harbor
03 March 2017
09 June 2016 | Galveston, TX
01 June 2016 | Pensacola, FL
23 May 2016 | Moving from Key West to Dry Tortugas
16 May 2016 | Marathon City Marina, Boot Key - Marathon, FL
06 May 2016 | Hope Town Harbour, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
16 April 2016 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
09 April 2016 | Cherokee Point, Abacos, Bahamas
Recent Blog Posts
05 April 2019 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama

Hello Panama

26 January 2019 | Providencia, Colombia

Another new stamp in my passport

It's time to move!! We left the Rio in late October, traveling for a while with Kemah friends, Tracie and Steve on "Saga Sea". Once we reached open water, they turned north to Belize and we went south to Honduras. The main areas of the Bay Islands of Honduras are Utilla, Roatan, Guanaja, and Cayos [...]

17 October 2018 | Rio Dulce, MAR Marina

Stuff Happens

There is really only one word to describe the Rio Dulce in August/September… HOT! It is the rainy season so you get wet at least once a day, but overall it is just miserably hot! No breeze to cool off with but you open the hatches anyway. Bugs are out and mosquitos are everywhere.

29 August 2018 | MAR Marina, Izabel, Guatemala

View from the Bow

Summer is racing past! It’s the end of August already and we are starting to make tentative plans for whatever comes next.

12 May 2018

Bienvenido a Rio Dulce Guatemala

We left Key West and motor sailed for three days, arriving in Isla Mujeres Mexico on April 14th. Trying to stay out of the Gulf Stream, we went south to get close to Cuba (about 10-20 miles offshore) and take advantage of a small counter-current. Once we passed Cuba and entered the Yucatan Straits, [...]

22 March 2018 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL

Good bye Bahamas

It has been a busy past few months! We left Titusville in early January and moved south, arriving in Fort Lauderdale on the 14th. We stayed just long enough to pick up mail, resupply the galley, take Ron to the dentist, and wait for that all important Weather Window. We pared up with another boat, [...]

Slow Boat to Texas

23 May 2016 | Moving from Key West to Dry Tortugas
Karen/Sunny and calm
Today Ron and I are leaving Key West and are heading to the Marquesas Islands and the Dry Tortugas. We are planning to meet up with some friends of ours from home. They are sailing as well so we’ll try to anchor out with them near Garden Key. We hope to spend a couple of days visiting, snorkeling, and exploring Fort Jefferson. The winds are extremely light this morning so we are again motoring under sail. It’s going to be about a 60 mile hop so it will take a full day to get there.

We are beginning our trek back to Houston. Ron has crossed the Gulf of Mexico quite a few times on drilling rigs, but this would be his first by sailboat. Going across the GOM is 700 miles, 6 days at sea, passing through the loop current (twice), just the two of us. He’s excited about it. Me - not so much. Yes, I love the idea of it - the adventure of it. Being all that brave and accomplishing it. But let’s be honest… I find the actual event scary as hell. The farthest offshore I’ve sailed has been about 70 miles. You lose cel phone signals at about 4 miles from shore. We have VHF radio that transmits about 25 miles. In an emergency you hope there is someone close enough to hear you. For listening to weather reports, I have a Single Side band Radio receiver. We do have all the normal safety gear - beacons, EPIRB, life raft etc. But we will still be pretty much on our own. (Can you feel my anxiety??) So we’ve decided on a compromise (get it?). We will stay offshore, but instead of going directly across, we will take a longer route and follow the coast in several large “hops” - staying close enough in that we can come into a harbour if we need fuel or have a problem. First leg will be from the Dry Tortugas to Santibel Island, staying about 65 - 70 miles out.

I bought a new inReach tracking device at the marine store this week. It uses a satellite signal and “pings” your boat position every 10 minutes to upload on a chart that can be seen by a couple of contact people (Brian/Jennifer). You can also send and receive a limited number of emails on it. For sending emails they have pre-set ones to choose from. Some of them are pretty cheesy - like “We are leaving now”, or “I’m okay”, or “Still having fun”. Since the system offers you the ability to create a few custom messages, I’ve written a few that say “Send help now!”, or “I love you very much”, and my favorite “I’m going to kill your father”. I’m sure these will be big hits with the kids. I’ll try to link the tracker to this website, so you can see it as well.

For those of you who have never been on a rocking sailboat, I want to give you an idea of some of the preparation that goes into a crossing over rolling water. First off everything has to be secured. Every drawer, hatch, cupboard, door, bin has to be closed and locked. If it can break - make sure it is put away. Dishes in the cabinet, pots & pans, groceries, bottles, electronic devices, books, everything. If you don’t - when the boat get bounced around everything falls out and can become a hazard. Basically, if it can move - secure it. Ron has been going over all the mechanical stuff, changing oil in the engines, changing filters, rechecking safety gear, looking at wear and tear on cables, ropes, standing rigging, sails, and running gear, etc. I’m trying to plan meals for the trip - understanding that at times it might be too rough to use the stove. So sandwiches/fruit/snack bars will be an option. I’ll make some more CRAP (candy, raisins, almonds, peanuts) for the night watches.

Speaking of night watches - let’s just say it out loud. I really hate them. Someone is at the helm at all times. As Ron likes to say, “There ain’t no rest areas to pull over into when you’re tired”. So we take turns. We will plan on 4 hour watches at night - and during the day I plan on stealing cat naps whenever I can. I’ve been told that you get used to the night watches on long trips and that it gets easier. I hope that’s true!

Keep your fingers crossed for good weather. You know… fair winds and following seas!
Comments
Compromise's Photos - Main
7 Photos
Created 4 March 2016
Deadline run from Sanibel to Marathon via the Florida Bay. Crab pots and all.
11 Photos
Created 21 December 2015
some pic of offshore sunsets and sunrises.
5 Photos
Created 3 December 2015
Sights as we travel along the ditch (GIWW)
19 Photos
Created 17 November 2015
8 Photos
Created 17 November 2015
Photos, Nov 8-11.
11 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
TRip from Galveston to Marathon
5 Photos
Created 9 November 2015
Pictures of sailing in and around the Texas Coast and ICW. Just havin' fun.
14 Photos
Created 6 October 2015

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups