Polite Compromise

Vessel Name: Compromise
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau/Oceanis 41
Hailing Port: Houston Texas
Crew: Karen and Ron Anderson
About: Married for 44 years. Kids grown and gone. Decided we wanted another adventure (like raising kids wasn't enough) and brag about it. The commodore and I are off on another one of our adventures.
Extra: I was once told that the secret to a successful marriage is polite compromise. I'm still not sure what is so polite about it.
Home Page: Facebook
05 April 2019 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama
26 January 2019 | Providencia, Colombia
17 October 2018 | Rio Dulce, MAR Marina
29 August 2018 | MAR Marina, Izabel, Guatemala
22 March 2018 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
13 December 2017 | Titusville, FL
28 November 2017 | Anchored just south of Brunswick, GA
08 August 2017 | Portsmouth, VA
19 July 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Marathon City Marina - Boot Key Harbor
03 March 2017
09 June 2016 | Galveston, TX
01 June 2016 | Pensacola, FL
23 May 2016 | Moving from Key West to Dry Tortugas
16 May 2016 | Marathon City Marina, Boot Key - Marathon, FL
06 May 2016 | Hope Town Harbour, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
16 April 2016 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
09 April 2016 | Cherokee Point, Abacos, Bahamas
Recent Blog Posts
05 April 2019 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama

Hello Panama

26 January 2019 | Providencia, Colombia

Another new stamp in my passport

It's time to move!! We left the Rio in late October, traveling for a while with Kemah friends, Tracie and Steve on "Saga Sea". Once we reached open water, they turned north to Belize and we went south to Honduras. The main areas of the Bay Islands of Honduras are Utilla, Roatan, Guanaja, and Cayos [...]

17 October 2018 | Rio Dulce, MAR Marina

Stuff Happens

There is really only one word to describe the Rio Dulce in August/September… HOT! It is the rainy season so you get wet at least once a day, but overall it is just miserably hot! No breeze to cool off with but you open the hatches anyway. Bugs are out and mosquitos are everywhere.

29 August 2018 | MAR Marina, Izabel, Guatemala

View from the Bow

Summer is racing past! It’s the end of August already and we are starting to make tentative plans for whatever comes next.

12 May 2018

Bienvenido a Rio Dulce Guatemala

We left Key West and motor sailed for three days, arriving in Isla Mujeres Mexico on April 14th. Trying to stay out of the Gulf Stream, we went south to get close to Cuba (about 10-20 miles offshore) and take advantage of a small counter-current. Once we passed Cuba and entered the Yucatan Straits, [...]

22 March 2018 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL

Good bye Bahamas

It has been a busy past few months! We left Titusville in early January and moved south, arriving in Fort Lauderdale on the 14th. We stayed just long enough to pick up mail, resupply the galley, take Ron to the dentist, and wait for that all important Weather Window. We pared up with another boat, [...]

To Infinity and Beyond

13 December 2017 | Titusville, FL
Karen/Morning - sunny and cold
When we left Savannah we began the next curvy and winding part of the ICW - transversing some really shallow areas with cute names like “Hell Gate” with warnings to pass through during rising tides only. We never got stuck, but there were a few nail-biting moments!

Even from the water you can tell it’s Christmas time! Lots of the private piers were decorated with lights and wreaths, and the towns we passed through were all lit up. We spent a weekend in St Augustine, the oldest continuously occupied settlement in continental United States. I wanted to do some sightseeing, tour the old fort (Castillo de San Marcos), and go Christmas shopping in the town center. We were also in time to see their beautiful holiday celebration, Nights of Lights. A few days later we were near Datona and anchored for the night - sitting on the deck of the boat, watching the sunset - and we realized we had accidentally anchored next to the staging area for Datona’s Christmas Lighted Boat Parade! There dozens of them, all playing music and having a great time. The parade was mostly power boats, so we cheered extra loud at the sailboat entries. My photos didn’t turn out well, but the boats were beautiful!

The Space Coast! Ron and I have been married for forever and a day - and while I’ve always known that he liked the space program, I did not realize what a true “space geek” he was! We grew up in the 60s and 70s during the Gemini and Apollo programs, and our kids watched the Space Shuttle launches. Walter Cronkite described the launches on our black and white TV, and Houston had it’s own “Cadet Don” on a Saturday morning TV program (well, it was HOUSTON after all!) We even talked our Mom into buying us Tang to drink so we could be like the astronauts! And we all loved to watch Larry Hagman and Barbara Eden in “I Dream of Jeanie”. So it was no surprise when Ron decided to delay our sailing dates so that he could watch a launch from the Kennedy Space Center.

We arrived in Titusville, FL, a few days ago intending to watch a scheduled December 4th NASA launch. However, weather has become an issue and the launch has been delayed until the 15th. So we have taken a mooring ball at the Titusville Municipal Marina - a really friendly, comfortable place with very nice facilities. I rented a car for a couple of days so that we could run errands and spend a day at the Kennedy Space Center. We arrived at the center just after it opened at 0900, and we did not leave until they started closing the gates!! For Ron, the best part of the day was spent at the Saturn launch facility, looking at the early days of the space race. The size of everything and all the equipment was amazing. For me, it was the Space Shuttle display with Atlantis as the center of the exhibit. The memorials for the Challenger and Endeavor tragedies were especially moving.

There were quite a few groups of school kids going through the exhibits. When we went to the Mission to Mars exhibit, it began to make sense. NASA has a schedule to put people on Mars beginning in the 2030s. They figured out that the personnel needed for that timeframe would be today’s 5th graders - so they have active programs to get that age group involved. One NASA guide even told me that they talk to local schools and will even send out the NASA buses to pick up interested kid’s tour groups. Very cool. (I’m sure Ron wishes he was one of those 5th graders…)

We learned that the scheduled launch we are waiting to see will be a Military one so the closest we can get is around 5 miles. We figure we will have a fine view from our mooring ball. In the meantime, there is work to get done on the boat - plus laundry to do and a grocery store run to make. I have made plans to fly to California next week to visit with kids and grandkids for Christmas. I hope everyone gets to spend the holidays with people they love and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Karen.
Comments
Compromise's Photos - Main
7 Photos
Created 4 March 2016
Deadline run from Sanibel to Marathon via the Florida Bay. Crab pots and all.
11 Photos
Created 21 December 2015
some pic of offshore sunsets and sunrises.
5 Photos
Created 3 December 2015
Sights as we travel along the ditch (GIWW)
19 Photos
Created 17 November 2015
8 Photos
Created 17 November 2015
Photos, Nov 8-11.
11 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
TRip from Galveston to Marathon
5 Photos
Created 9 November 2015
Pictures of sailing in and around the Texas Coast and ICW. Just havin' fun.
14 Photos
Created 6 October 2015

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups