S.V Condesa Del Mar

23 meter Herreshoff Schooner built in Wilmington Boat Yard California 1970 onwards. Fit out completed mid 1990's. Mark and Jenny Gaskell purchased Condesa November 2011 and crossed the Pacific Ocean in 2012.

25 October 2023 | Keppel Bay Marina
19 October 2023 | Rescue Bay -Middle Percy Island
13 October 2023 | Hamilton Island
30 September 2023 | Wide bay Bar
06 September 2023 | Brisbane australia
24 August 2023 | The Panama Canal
19 August 2023 | Linton Bay Panamá
11 August 2023 | Bonaire
07 August 2023 | Bonaire par of the king do of the Netherlands
01 August 2023 | Dominica
26 July 2023 | Antigua, West Indies
10 February 2023 | Hobart
06 March 2022 | Brisbane River
08 December 2021 | Gold Coast Queensland
20 November 2021 | Southport Yacht Club
17 November 2021 | The Great Sandy Straights
13 November 2021 | Coral Sea
06 November 2021 | Keppel Bay Marina
28 October 2021 | Hamilton Island heading south
13 October 2021 | Hook Island

Australia on Show

07 January 2013 | Rivergate Marina
Jenny g
There have been mixed emotions around town. Anything from withdrawals, to some sadness and a few direct requests for me to pretend I have gone somewhere so I can keep blogging about what I see. And for a minute I thought it was a good enough excuse to untie the ropes and take He who hums off on another adventure. Then I realised that we have been out-and-about ever since we arrived back into Brisbane and I have got to say that if I was elsewhere I would have been telling you about where I had been.
So for now let's pretend I am a tourist again and let me tell you how proud I was to be Australian the day I took Pedro off to fulfill his dream to hug a koala and hang with the kangaroos while he was here, oh and to eat a Mexican meal.
For starters we had one almighty typical summer storms hit Brisbane on our third week home and that was perfect- as we had Pedro repair some porthole seals and we needed to test them to see if he had captured all suspected areas. Roll on in grumbling thunder and heavily laden rain clouds as if on cue. And what a stunning stormy exhibition it was. I can't remember seeing summer storms like that since I was a kid. Family and friends feared for us down here under the Gateway aboard Condesa. However, we were moving with the elements so didn't feel the brunt of it like the high rises and homes must have felt every shudder of that thunder and cracks of lightning. The wind gained momentum as the storm raced across the Brisbane sky and buffered the boats around slightly. However we were happy to be moored in next to some of the biggest Super yachts I have ever seen like Dragon Fly and Exlium. They both shielded us from the chaos and fended off the fetching river as it welled up in response to the temperature changes.
Then a week or two later we thank Dragon Fly again for the wonderful dock party that He who hums attended. I saw the catering and hospitality being set up as I departed for a weekend at Stradbroke island (another Qld gem) and knew there would be stories to tell when I got home. Well, no expense was spared! And you know you have wealthy neighbours when the owner brings his helicopter into the paddock next to the marina to attend his own party in a grand marquee with his crew and fellow invited boaties (us).
I can't tell you anymore these big boats like to be secretive.....how does that saying go……if I tell you, I would have to kill you? Or, it is not you I can't trust... it is the people you tell that we worry about.
Anyway back on the being proud to be Australian. Pedro got to see the gold coast in all its glory, with beaches that stretch for miles, cool smooth soft sand under foot. I am sure the bright lights and night life also impressed him. Although relaxing in a high-rise was all he needed and wanted, as he recovered from all it took to get across the pacific.
I took him off to Lone Pine and as we got out of the car we inhaled the fresh crisp eucalyptus tree air, just 15 minutes from the sleepy Sunday shadows of the CBD. I knew from that moment he was going to have lasting memories of our beautiful Australia.
Post rain, the walk through the lush green and darkened earth was a good start along with the busy bush turkeys weaving in and around all the 'as close to natural' home like enclosures for our native animals. Yes he got up close and personal with the Koalas and Kangaroos. We saw a fine specimen of our Emu and echidnas. The platypus ducking and weaving through the rock pools like there was no tomorrow. The little black Tassie Devil doing laps and the svelte dingo poised behind wire fence where they were in full view.
We sat enjoying the larger native bird show and distracted by the boxing kangaroos behind us. I had told him about this little habit of theirs on our way but never expected them to put on a free bout for us. We covered the sheep shearing demo just in case he should want a sea change down, he then knows what he is up for. The sheep dogs happily wrapped up their job and so we made our way to find the wombats. Stepping over the biggest lizards basking in the warm shallow puddles of sunshine was all part of the experience.
I couldn't have asked for a more perfect experience of Australian wild life if I set the scene myself. As we exited along the river bank under the tall shredded trunks of the gum trees we got one last hooroo from our laughing kookaburras. How perfect!
Is that not what you would want for a special visitor?
However, this was a few weeks ago but thought since there was a request for me to share more blogs, I best tell you how good Australia our home town is.
Comments
Vessel Name: La Condesa Del Mar
Vessel Make/Model: Herreshoff Schooner 73 ft
Hailing Port: Southport Brisbane Australia
Crew: Mark & Jenny Gaskell
About:
Boat and water lovers from the east coast of Queensland. Both Mark and Jenny enjoyed an upbringing holidaying on the beautiful beaches of the Gold Coast where the smell of the ocean is ingrained at a young age. The passion grew with each vessel large and small over the years. [...]
Extra: Having conquered the east coast of Queensland Australia the biggest challenge and adventure was crossing the Pacific ocean in 2012 just months after purchasing. Leaving La Paz Mexico in March 2012 reaching for Australian waters October 2012. We love the simplicity and beauty of being live-aboards.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svcondesa
Social:
La Condesa Del Mar's Photos - Main
The return to our favourite spot in the Percy group. Two days was not enough but we will return 🤩
1 Photo
Created 5 July 2021
The surprise week with the kids in Musket Cove
38 Photos
Created 18 September 2012
Throughout Fiji Islands
20 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
Our Puddle Jump Celebrations on Moorea Island
20 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
Discovering Tahiti and family come to visit Condesa
20 Photos
Created 3 September 2012
This little escapade was one of my favorites maybe it was the great company we had
16 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
This is the river discovery as inthe blog Free Falling
19 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
Our stint in the remote beauty of Suwarrow
26 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
Our trek deep into the Cascades on Nuku Hiva
20 Photos
Created 18 June 2012
21 days at sea
22 Photos
Created 18 June 2012
Day 21 onwards !
3 Photos
Created 14 May 2012
Here are files of photos from purchase to preparation for the Puddle Jump
20 Photos
Created 12 April 2012
Captured as we worked
28 Photos
Created 12 April 2012
Our 6 weeks in La PAz we have has a ball and celebrated with the locals and the fleet. We have worked hard and will reep the rewards at sea.
22 Photos
Created 11 April 2012
When out and about I snapped a few styles of homes and buildings - enjoy
26 Photos
Created 4 April 2012
The word "carnaval". The general consensus is that it evolved during the middle ages, as part of the Roman Catholic ritual of lent. I hear it concludes on 'Fat Tuesday'???
20 Photos
Created 16 March 2012
The journey south from Guaymas to La Paz
20 Photos
Created 16 March 2012
From Day 1 - Day 7 The preparation to launch La Condesa Del Mar to sail the Sea of Cortez
18 Photos
Created 4 January 2012