S.V Condesa Del Mar

23 meter Herreshoff Schooner built in Wilmington Boat Yard California 1970 onwards. Fit out completed mid 1990's. Mark and Jenny Gaskell purchased Condesa November 2011 and crossed the Pacific Ocean in 2012.

25 October 2023 | Keppel Bay Marina
19 October 2023 | Rescue Bay -Middle Percy Island
13 October 2023 | Hamilton Island
30 September 2023 | Wide bay Bar
06 September 2023 | Brisbane australia
24 August 2023 | The Panama Canal
19 August 2023 | Linton Bay Panamá
11 August 2023 | Bonaire
07 August 2023 | Bonaire par of the king do of the Netherlands
01 August 2023 | Dominica
26 July 2023 | Antigua, West Indies
10 February 2023 | Hobart
06 March 2022 | Brisbane River
08 December 2021 | Gold Coast Queensland
20 November 2021 | Southport Yacht Club
17 November 2021 | The Great Sandy Straights
13 November 2021 | Coral Sea
06 November 2021 | Keppel Bay Marina
28 October 2021 | Hamilton Island heading south
13 October 2021 | Hook Island

Doing the Hard Yards

25 July 2015 | The Yard Brisbane Ship Lifts Murarrie
Jennyg
Anti-fouling Condesa on the hard stand.

'The Yard' is the work-place in the Brisbane River for boats to be lifted out of the water. A dry dock where you can anti-foul several coats of thick black paint below the water line, replace all bollards and safety lines around upper deck, put on a new prop and reset the shaft, remove and fix a gear box, replace anchor plates, finish the bright work, sikaflex everywhere you see fit, buff and polish your paintwork above the waterline, cut back the portholes buff and make them gleam like never before! And just in case that is not enough to complete in the estimated time of seven days, let's add some gale forced westerly winds that near blow you from the top decks while you are perched high above the concrete attending to the above list.
Whilst it wasn't cocktails and sunsets.... it wasn't all doom and gloom except when sourcing parts for the 1960's gear box parts that had us stay elevated clinging on for our lives for another four days in a true blizzard. Brisbane only winter is a cutting westerly that sliced through 8 layers of clothing and that was in the full sunshine.
On the upside we had an experienced super yacht worker Lawrence who, like Mark ignored the 5 degree temperature and diligently went from one job to another knowing that the days of the week disappear like time travel whilst in a dry dock.
I was chilly inside the boat even with the oven going and heater on so I'd hauled the boys in for hot coffee alternating the breaks with a hearty soup allowing for some defrosting of fingers before they would brave it again. I at least had the option to find a nook behind the shed away from the wind where the sun tried its best to give warmth so I could continue to strip the old varnish off the louvered doors (that I wish I had never started).
All appeared to be on track after we extended an extra 4 days to complete the work, I continued running to mum and dad's place to seep and for some of the same warmth and support that I tried to bestow on the windswept and lip cracked workers back at the yard.
Finally our gear box was back together and Mitch kindly worked through the night with Mark to fit it back where it belonged (only a son or someone you paid mega bucks would do this). This operation required a halyard to act as a hoist to lift the heavy engine part high above the boat and drop it into place. I feared it may squash them like ants should anything go wrong so I stayed to oversee the procedure and lend a hand where possible (or call 000 if needed) and finally to make hot chocolates when it was completed.
The next day where we were set to be lifted back into the water only to find the westerly winds had another 4-5 more knots to blow. Condesa shuddered on her concrete blocks having the staff bring the cradle and slings over to support her, She being the only boat left in the yard waiting to be put back in the Brisbane River that day. The lift was cancelled due to the high winds, we were disappointed but still had plenty of varnishing and other jobs to complete so we spend another 24 hours finishing up.
Saturday in the yard was like a ghost town, the wind had dropped there was no work happening around the usually active yard, until the manager, his dog and little support team kindly turned up.
He single handily (with the help of his dog) operated the lift to launch us back into the river knowing we were overdue to get going.
We tested our reverse and forward once that was confirmed as working we headed on our merry way north for warmer weather. Cheers to our parents and Ben at The Yard you were the shining light in a week of hard knocks.
Ps I should have stowed that dog away on Condesa -he was a cracker.

ps the image was teh first day before the winds got up so don't be fooled by the shorts and t'shirts
Comments
Vessel Name: La Condesa Del Mar
Vessel Make/Model: Herreshoff Schooner 73 ft
Hailing Port: Southport Brisbane Australia
Crew: Mark & Jenny Gaskell
About:
Boat and water lovers from the east coast of Queensland. Both Mark and Jenny enjoyed an upbringing holidaying on the beautiful beaches of the Gold Coast where the smell of the ocean is ingrained at a young age. The passion grew with each vessel large and small over the years. [...]
Extra: Having conquered the east coast of Queensland Australia the biggest challenge and adventure was crossing the Pacific ocean in 2012 just months after purchasing. Leaving La Paz Mexico in March 2012 reaching for Australian waters October 2012. We love the simplicity and beauty of being live-aboards.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svcondesa
Social:
La Condesa Del Mar's Photos - Main
The return to our favourite spot in the Percy group. Two days was not enough but we will return 🤩
1 Photo
Created 5 July 2021
The surprise week with the kids in Musket Cove
38 Photos
Created 18 September 2012
Throughout Fiji Islands
20 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
Our Puddle Jump Celebrations on Moorea Island
20 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
Discovering Tahiti and family come to visit Condesa
20 Photos
Created 3 September 2012
This little escapade was one of my favorites maybe it was the great company we had
16 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
This is the river discovery as inthe blog Free Falling
19 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
Our stint in the remote beauty of Suwarrow
26 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
Our trek deep into the Cascades on Nuku Hiva
20 Photos
Created 18 June 2012
21 days at sea
22 Photos
Created 18 June 2012
Day 21 onwards !
3 Photos
Created 14 May 2012
Here are files of photos from purchase to preparation for the Puddle Jump
20 Photos
Created 12 April 2012
Captured as we worked
28 Photos
Created 12 April 2012
Our 6 weeks in La PAz we have has a ball and celebrated with the locals and the fleet. We have worked hard and will reep the rewards at sea.
22 Photos
Created 11 April 2012
When out and about I snapped a few styles of homes and buildings - enjoy
26 Photos
Created 4 April 2012
The word "carnaval". The general consensus is that it evolved during the middle ages, as part of the Roman Catholic ritual of lent. I hear it concludes on 'Fat Tuesday'???
20 Photos
Created 16 March 2012
The journey south from Guaymas to La Paz
20 Photos
Created 16 March 2012
From Day 1 - Day 7 The preparation to launch La Condesa Del Mar to sail the Sea of Cortez
18 Photos
Created 4 January 2012