S.V Condesa Del Mar

23 meter Herreshoff Schooner built in Wilmington Boat Yard California 1970 onwards. Fit out completed mid 1990's. Mark and Jenny Gaskell purchased Condesa November 2011 and crossed the Pacific Ocean in 2012.

25 October 2023 | Keppel Bay Marina
19 October 2023 | Rescue Bay -Middle Percy Island
13 October 2023 | Hamilton Island
30 September 2023 | Wide bay Bar
06 September 2023 | Brisbane australia
24 August 2023 | The Panama Canal
19 August 2023 | Linton Bay Panamá
11 August 2023 | Bonaire
07 August 2023 | Bonaire par of the king do of the Netherlands
01 August 2023 | Dominica
26 July 2023 | Antigua, West Indies
10 February 2023 | Hobart
06 March 2022 | Brisbane River
08 December 2021 | Gold Coast Queensland
20 November 2021 | Southport Yacht Club
17 November 2021 | The Great Sandy Straights
13 November 2021 | Coral Sea
06 November 2021 | Keppel Bay Marina
28 October 2021 | Hamilton Island heading south
13 October 2021 | Hook Island

Deep and meaningful

27 June 2012 | Mo'orea Island
Jenny g
"Pedro the carpenter" is a man of many talents and the person responsible for the work of art that is our platform at the stern of the boat. He... Pedro, has lived a life on the water from a very young age, doing boat deliveries all over the world with his father. I assume in such a family it was a natural progression to then love heading out to work salvaging boats, in a business his father headed up. This lifetime of blue water experience is a blessing and that day when he agreed to join us to be our crew back in Mexico we were happy, little did we know. We now know there is nothing he hasn't already witnessed when it comes to sailing, having recently returned from 3 years as a single handler sailing through Chilean Fjords and around the horn and beyond. I have seen these maps of the Chilean Fjords and it resembles a maze that I can't ever imagine how you could or better still, how you would want to sail those dark, rocky, cold, isolated and dangerous waters for pleasure. He arrived that fortunate day with the typical duffle bag over his shoulder, the sort you would expect from a sailor. Into our adventure, and he who hums was at the helm, called ahead to drop anchor and was halted mid-hum when Pedro disappeared off the side of the bow sprit, just as you would jump a garden gate. It appears this is how he likes to persuade the anchor to free it from the housing where we would normally reach for the boat hook. And... where one would lick ones finger to test the wind direction, he uses his whole face to feel and inhale the changes in the air ..... (as I now do thanks to watching this technique). He is conscientious ~ sailing clearly runs through his veins, he really comes alive when there is a change in the conditions especially when it means action. During night watches he would bolt upright almost sensing urgency and with one swift swipe of the face with his broad hand, like ridding himself from a cobweb; instead he was coming from deep sleep into a situation that needed his full attention, he was near ready. His sure footing took him straight out on the forward deck where it was not your "sure footing" territory. Without safety lines he disappeared into the black mass to front the elements and see what it had in-store. This could be a good 5-10 minutes of silent confrontation between he and "it". One day I will have a d & m with the atmosphere like that. That was then this is now.........
11pm we wake to the sound of rain and the occasional heavy drop blown in from the open hatch in our part of the Opunohu Bay anchorage as if a warning of what is coming. Within minutes the fierce wind clocked 30..... 35.... 40..... 45.... 50 and spiking at 57 knots in our part of the bay before dropping as the rain started, but at the same time we heard a call of distress come over the radio. A female voice panic stricken - she was drifting towards the reef and needed urgent assistance. The once quiet anchorage that welcomed the fleet from the Tahiti Pearl Regatta only yesterday was turned into a nightmare as 2 more boats broke anchor hold in the pelting rain and wild wind and were now adrift. Some boats feared heading for coral reefs and others getting tangled in neighbouring anchor chains to add to the mayhem. From deep sleep we and everyone else were grabbing our wet weather gear, turning on the spreader lights and heading out into the beating rain that partnered the powerful wind to see if we were still holding our anchored position and to fend off any breakaway boats that may be unwillingly coming our way. The flash of pelting rain eerily stopped at one stage as instantly as it started, but the wind and pandemonium didn't. Pedro our crew, was out for drinks this night but soon appeared out of the wild waters, rearing up in a dingy like he was riding on a brumby. Shouting clearly and precisely to he who wasn't humming but franticly tending to our safety, wanting only to be certain that we hadn't any problems or dragged anchor. Once he knew Condesa was still sitting securely he zoomed off and clambered aboard one of the disorientated boats that was now in the blackness if no man's land. The relieved couple accepted his miraculous appearance as if it was the norm, too frayed to even question. Both of them, just needing to be rid of the trauma, and aiming to be relocated away from this mass of confusion, somewhere.... anywhere and eventually into the quiet of the next inlet. This was a story that got around the anchorage quickly and grew to such heights that the nic-name "Super Pedro" was given and he was presented with his well deserved homemade super hero cape today much to his surprise. This is hanging in his cabin and ready to wear next time there is a need to swing on the halyards from boat to boat. Peace reins tonight and many a prayer of thanks that everyone was there at the gathering today to enjoy the sunset like nothing had happened.
Comments
Vessel Name: La Condesa Del Mar
Vessel Make/Model: Herreshoff Schooner 73 ft
Hailing Port: Southport Brisbane Australia
Crew: Mark & Jenny Gaskell
About:
Boat and water lovers from the east coast of Queensland. Both Mark and Jenny enjoyed an upbringing holidaying on the beautiful beaches of the Gold Coast where the smell of the ocean is ingrained at a young age. The passion grew with each vessel large and small over the years. [...]
Extra: Having conquered the east coast of Queensland Australia the biggest challenge and adventure was crossing the Pacific ocean in 2012 just months after purchasing. Leaving La Paz Mexico in March 2012 reaching for Australian waters October 2012. We love the simplicity and beauty of being live-aboards.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svcondesa
Social:
La Condesa Del Mar's Photos - Main
The return to our favourite spot in the Percy group. Two days was not enough but we will return 🤩
1 Photo
Created 5 July 2021
The surprise week with the kids in Musket Cove
38 Photos
Created 18 September 2012
Throughout Fiji Islands
20 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
Our Puddle Jump Celebrations on Moorea Island
20 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
Discovering Tahiti and family come to visit Condesa
20 Photos
Created 3 September 2012
This little escapade was one of my favorites maybe it was the great company we had
16 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
This is the river discovery as inthe blog Free Falling
19 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
Our stint in the remote beauty of Suwarrow
26 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
Our trek deep into the Cascades on Nuku Hiva
20 Photos
Created 18 June 2012
21 days at sea
22 Photos
Created 18 June 2012
Day 21 onwards !
3 Photos
Created 14 May 2012
Here are files of photos from purchase to preparation for the Puddle Jump
20 Photos
Created 12 April 2012
Captured as we worked
28 Photos
Created 12 April 2012
Our 6 weeks in La PAz we have has a ball and celebrated with the locals and the fleet. We have worked hard and will reep the rewards at sea.
22 Photos
Created 11 April 2012
When out and about I snapped a few styles of homes and buildings - enjoy
26 Photos
Created 4 April 2012
The word "carnaval". The general consensus is that it evolved during the middle ages, as part of the Roman Catholic ritual of lent. I hear it concludes on 'Fat Tuesday'???
20 Photos
Created 16 March 2012
The journey south from Guaymas to La Paz
20 Photos
Created 16 March 2012
From Day 1 - Day 7 The preparation to launch La Condesa Del Mar to sail the Sea of Cortez
18 Photos
Created 4 January 2012