S.V Condesa Del Mar

23 meter Herreshoff Schooner built in Wilmington Boat Yard California 1970 onwards. Fit out completed mid 1990's. Mark and Jenny Gaskell purchased Condesa November 2011 and crossed the Pacific Ocean in 2012.

25 October 2023 | Keppel Bay Marina
19 October 2023 | Rescue Bay -Middle Percy Island
13 October 2023 | Hamilton Island
30 September 2023 | Wide bay Bar
06 September 2023 | Brisbane australia
24 August 2023 | The Panama Canal
19 August 2023 | Linton Bay Panamá
11 August 2023 | Bonaire
07 August 2023 | Bonaire par of the king do of the Netherlands
01 August 2023 | Dominica
26 July 2023 | Antigua, West Indies
10 February 2023 | Hobart
06 March 2022 | Brisbane River
08 December 2021 | Gold Coast Queensland
20 November 2021 | Southport Yacht Club
17 November 2021 | The Great Sandy Straights
13 November 2021 | Coral Sea
06 November 2021 | Keppel Bay Marina
28 October 2021 | Hamilton Island heading south
13 October 2021 | Hook Island

Treasures

25 September 2012 | Muskett Cove
jenny g
Throughout this trip there have been "pearlers" of moments that you don't predict and it all adds to the journey of discovery of places and people. Our return to Muskett Cove after sailing back to Port Denarau to wave off the boys (and girls)... was meant to be. The wind prediction for the next week was 0 wind - gusting to 1!? So it was obvious there was no point in trying to sail too far. Oh well it was back to Muskett for us, just as the boys had tried to instil so we could continue with the festivities of race week. The week was wrapped up with a dinner party on the beach, the theme being 'colour'. We did just that and then made our way around the arc of still waters towards the colour party lights that had now come alive as the sun sunk behind the ocean. There we were tabled amongst other yachties, some annual racers and some whom we have got to know on the way or at that daily island bar happy hour. Anyway that is getting off the point - As an event planner myself, I was so impressed at the ease in which areas were transformed into venues and the catering for the 100-150 guests was created without being noticed. Any upright structure was dressed in braided palm fronts and bold coloured flowers and fine dining tables popped up out of nowhere surrounding the all-sand dance floor and angled at a modest stage. The traditional island dancing and singing were a gift to us all, as if the generous sponsorship or massive succulent pig on the spit was not enough. As we have approach most islands in the Pacific you note the sounds of tribal music beating in the hills, but here in Muskett you first hear laughter over any other activity. Everyone mingled as the night swoireed on, except for a young European couple who had taken out the dance competition the night before at the island bar. They I think were fresh graduates, and loving their new skills that kicked up the sand as they circled around and around the dance floor in between the gaps to the dance beats in their heads as we all boogied to the band. The little kids looked forward to this party too and arrived red eyed and tired from sailing or swimming and were subdued and star gazing barely able to enjoy the feast that they will wish they had eaten tomorrow. Two we know well spend their day retrieving buried treasures. The coordinates left by friends from last year, with map and shovel they hunted for their buried treasures. So it was left to the adults to party hard and they did with endless wine and a punch that punched you into a reveller upon arrival. All good things must come to an end and the week here was closing in a spectacular way. As it drew late guests started to drift off into the darkened palm tree path back to their floating abode. We filed out behind the Europeans out only to see them drop their bags under a tree and carve out one last routine before their night was up. However I didn't see them at the lunch time bbq on the coral cay that popped up in just enough time to have catering, shade and eskies installed yesterday. Perhaps the wet sand isn't sure enough footing to get a 2 step going, but there were good tunes there too that they could have worked. And there was plenty of dance floor as the tide slowly subsided and produced a perfect island setting . A unique daytime venue that then gets completely washed over every night so no need for cleaners once the tide is high. I think back of all the interesting people from all nations that we have met and appreciate the trade you do out here in getting help from one and returning it to another as the need and skills necessitate. Any assistance required is done with the care and attention as if it were one's own boat. It is a connection that links you and you don't forget these people even if it happens to be a one stop bonding over a dirty pump out of a generator, or a quick download session of the updated compendiums. But as we partied on here, one beautiful and quaint classical highly varnished 1960's timber boat is being lovingly restored ready to sail into Sydney Harbour later this year to be sold. The young sailor with work in progress got to enjoy the same festivities with us, as someone here is now lending him a hand to catch up on beautifying her, allowing him to sand and varnish his lifted floorboards on their house boat that is handily tied to the Muskett Cove dock. From mechanics to computer gurus, from provisioning to visual inspiration there is anything from an idea to a predicament shared every day in port and I dare say over the radio when we are all out to sea. Speaking of out to sea we too got some help from a (now) new friend as we drug anchor when the wind decided to change direction and lift to 25knots unpredicted in the placid bay engulfed by reefs. Luckily Captain Humming and I had just returned to Condesa for lunch. Having been securely anchored for the past 4 parting days and nights we didn't expect to do a drift towards the reef that was the lunch venue the day prior. However before we had absorbed and actioned all we needed to do there was a dingy right beside us offering help. Of course that kind of offer is never refused, although I spoke for the captain whose rapid thinking hindered his humming, just in case a third hand was needed. However we managed to haul ourselves back into bigger waters and as he left with a coldie for coming to our aide we ate our lunch with one eye on the anchor, one on the reef and talked about treasures around us.
Comments
Vessel Name: La Condesa Del Mar
Vessel Make/Model: Herreshoff Schooner 73 ft
Hailing Port: Southport Brisbane Australia
Crew: Mark & Jenny Gaskell
About:
Boat and water lovers from the east coast of Queensland. Both Mark and Jenny enjoyed an upbringing holidaying on the beautiful beaches of the Gold Coast where the smell of the ocean is ingrained at a young age. The passion grew with each vessel large and small over the years. [...]
Extra: Having conquered the east coast of Queensland Australia the biggest challenge and adventure was crossing the Pacific ocean in 2012 just months after purchasing. Leaving La Paz Mexico in March 2012 reaching for Australian waters October 2012. We love the simplicity and beauty of being live-aboards.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svcondesa
Social:
La Condesa Del Mar's Photos - Main
The return to our favourite spot in the Percy group. Two days was not enough but we will return 🤩
1 Photo
Created 5 July 2021
The surprise week with the kids in Musket Cove
38 Photos
Created 18 September 2012
Throughout Fiji Islands
20 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
Our Puddle Jump Celebrations on Moorea Island
20 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
Discovering Tahiti and family come to visit Condesa
20 Photos
Created 3 September 2012
This little escapade was one of my favorites maybe it was the great company we had
16 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
This is the river discovery as inthe blog Free Falling
19 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
Our stint in the remote beauty of Suwarrow
26 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
Our trek deep into the Cascades on Nuku Hiva
20 Photos
Created 18 June 2012
21 days at sea
22 Photos
Created 18 June 2012
Day 21 onwards !
3 Photos
Created 14 May 2012
Here are files of photos from purchase to preparation for the Puddle Jump
20 Photos
Created 12 April 2012
Captured as we worked
28 Photos
Created 12 April 2012
Our 6 weeks in La PAz we have has a ball and celebrated with the locals and the fleet. We have worked hard and will reep the rewards at sea.
22 Photos
Created 11 April 2012
When out and about I snapped a few styles of homes and buildings - enjoy
26 Photos
Created 4 April 2012
The word "carnaval". The general consensus is that it evolved during the middle ages, as part of the Roman Catholic ritual of lent. I hear it concludes on 'Fat Tuesday'???
20 Photos
Created 16 March 2012
The journey south from Guaymas to La Paz
20 Photos
Created 16 March 2012
From Day 1 - Day 7 The preparation to launch La Condesa Del Mar to sail the Sea of Cortez
18 Photos
Created 4 January 2012