S.V Condesa Del Mar

23 meter Herreshoff Schooner built in Wilmington Boat Yard California 1970 onwards. Fit out completed mid 1990's. Mark and Jenny Gaskell purchased Condesa November 2011 and crossed the Pacific Ocean in 2012.

25 October 2023 | Keppel Bay Marina
19 October 2023 | Rescue Bay -Middle Percy Island
13 October 2023 | Hamilton Island
30 September 2023 | Wide bay Bar
06 September 2023 | Brisbane australia
24 August 2023 | The Panama Canal
19 August 2023 | Linton Bay Panamá
11 August 2023 | Bonaire
07 August 2023 | Bonaire par of the king do of the Netherlands
01 August 2023 | Dominica
26 July 2023 | Antigua, West Indies
10 February 2023 | Hobart
06 March 2022 | Brisbane River
08 December 2021 | Gold Coast Queensland
20 November 2021 | Southport Yacht Club
17 November 2021 | The Great Sandy Straights
13 November 2021 | Coral Sea
06 November 2021 | Keppel Bay Marina
28 October 2021 | Hamilton Island heading south
13 October 2021 | Hook Island

Free Gifts along the way

01 September 2014 | Nara Inlet
So now we can tick the blue waters of Hamilton Island Race Week! What an awesome experience where the island and all of the staff added to the beauty as much as the race courses around the Whitsunday Islands. There have been so many treasures along the way I couldn’t begin to do justice in a story. Memories of those incredible whales and dolphins that joined our venture, the fresh tuna and massive sweet mud crabs that were caught and shared, the underwater coral discoveries, the schools of fish that swam with us in the thousands, the massive groper who let us pat and feed him, the trillions of butterflies that surrounded us as we walked the islands. There are the friends (furry and human) that we have made both on and off the water, kindred spirits of the older classic boats that were moored side by side. The nights we became part of the band aboard the 1930’s Pearl Lugger creating camaraderie during those post race hours. He who hums toe tapping and hip slapping the shakers in time with the tambourine I played and the songs we sang as if we had heard them all before. The unexpected invitations to dinner, drinks and events from people we had only just met. The pomp ceremony, colour and experienced of the other 178 yachts that raced in all of their glory speed and skill on the water who cocooned us every day in the bustle and fluster of getting to the start line for our own category start. The memories of their lightweight sails flicking and whisking across our vision close enough for me to almost touch and the remarkable moments where He who hums and I were in absolute sync and tacked like we knew what we were doing in time with all others on the course was exhilarating stuff!
However there was a small but significant moment in time during this trip that I will never forget. We had sailed many nights and have anchored in many islands, inlets and marinas that have been memorable for one reason or another. We have had peaceful nights of sleep as well as some not so perfect anchorages of restless waters where “bullets” of wind escalate as they run over the hills and through the valleys of the islands that tried to take us for the ride.
The one night in the deep valley of Nara Inlet (Whitsunday Islands) we were surrounded by the sheer cliffs of true blue Australian bush-land mixed with tall wooded areas of dark green pine trees. We had trekked to the caves that were up in the hills and enjoyed the aboriginal art from hundreds of years ago. The waters were glassy and stilled and we knew were in for a magnificent night of peaceful sleep. With all of our experiences we had learnt to check any item that was a chance to move, shake rattle or roll and so lines were secured and tied off so as not to “ting” against the mast when the wind lifted during our sleeping hours. There was one slight movement of our boat that night that found a minuscule squeak as the davit hardware moved a millimeter back and forth and it was just enough to be heard in the deafening silence and was not letting up. I took it upon myself to attend to this one as he who hums clearly could not hear it for his own deep sounds of slumber. Besides I think I owed him a few night checks anyway.
I climbed up out of our cabin to the wheelhouse and carefully stepped out on to the back fishing platform and into the dark of night. As I reached out to catch the small but squeaky culprit I saw something I could never have imagined in all of my wildest dreams. The zillions of stars hung like LED lights in the night sky and in direct reflection to the stars were just as many Bioluminescences that lit up the deep narrow and dark inlet waters. I was spellbound by the luminous green of living plankton that surrounded not only our boat but others and for as far as I could see. I was standing alone in the void totally spellbound with the beauty of nature’s incredible Phosphorescence gift. It was such a delicacy I dared not wake He who may not appreciate “it” or being woken. So I savored it all to myself for I did not want to taint the moment with words or actions.
I headed back to bed with that vision seared into my memory, a gift from heaven that I added to the list of wonders that this planet offers us.
Comments
Vessel Name: La Condesa Del Mar
Vessel Make/Model: Herreshoff Schooner 73 ft
Hailing Port: Southport Brisbane Australia
Crew: Mark & Jenny Gaskell
About:
Boat and water lovers from the east coast of Queensland. Both Mark and Jenny enjoyed an upbringing holidaying on the beautiful beaches of the Gold Coast where the smell of the ocean is ingrained at a young age. The passion grew with each vessel large and small over the years. [...]
Extra: Having conquered the east coast of Queensland Australia the biggest challenge and adventure was crossing the Pacific ocean in 2012 just months after purchasing. Leaving La Paz Mexico in March 2012 reaching for Australian waters October 2012. We love the simplicity and beauty of being live-aboards.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svcondesa
Social:
La Condesa Del Mar's Photos - Main
The return to our favourite spot in the Percy group. Two days was not enough but we will return 🤩
1 Photo
Created 5 July 2021
The surprise week with the kids in Musket Cove
38 Photos
Created 18 September 2012
Throughout Fiji Islands
20 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
Our Puddle Jump Celebrations on Moorea Island
20 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
Discovering Tahiti and family come to visit Condesa
20 Photos
Created 3 September 2012
This little escapade was one of my favorites maybe it was the great company we had
16 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
This is the river discovery as inthe blog Free Falling
19 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
Our stint in the remote beauty of Suwarrow
26 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
Our trek deep into the Cascades on Nuku Hiva
20 Photos
Created 18 June 2012
21 days at sea
22 Photos
Created 18 June 2012
Day 21 onwards !
3 Photos
Created 14 May 2012
Here are files of photos from purchase to preparation for the Puddle Jump
20 Photos
Created 12 April 2012
Captured as we worked
28 Photos
Created 12 April 2012
Our 6 weeks in La PAz we have has a ball and celebrated with the locals and the fleet. We have worked hard and will reep the rewards at sea.
22 Photos
Created 11 April 2012
When out and about I snapped a few styles of homes and buildings - enjoy
26 Photos
Created 4 April 2012
The word "carnaval". The general consensus is that it evolved during the middle ages, as part of the Roman Catholic ritual of lent. I hear it concludes on 'Fat Tuesday'???
20 Photos
Created 16 March 2012
The journey south from Guaymas to La Paz
20 Photos
Created 16 March 2012
From Day 1 - Day 7 The preparation to launch La Condesa Del Mar to sail the Sea of Cortez
18 Photos
Created 4 January 2012