Convergence

12 June 2017 | North of Gulf Stream
11 June 2017 | Bermuda
10 June 2017 | Bermuda
31 May 2017 | 31 51�' N 63 14�' W
30 May 2017 | 30 58�' N 60 26�' W
27 May 2017
25 May 2017
24 May 2017
22 May 2017
22 May 2017
20 May 2017 | 26 21' N, 24 55' W
17 May 2017
16 May 2017 | Lanzarote Canary Islands
16 May 2017 | Lanzarote Canary Islands
16 May 2017 | Lanzarote Marina Canary Islands
28 February 2011

Pirates and Dolphins

07 February 2011
Randy Repass
7Feb2011

Warships and Helicopters

We have been transiting the IRTC for a day and a half and have 16 hours until we reach the Western end. We have been called on the VHF by two Coalition war ships and this afternoon. A war ship (Grey hull number 96) passed about 3 miles to starboard. While it was passing a helicopter took off the aft deck and headed west. After about an hour the chopper came back by and circled us probably taking photos and checking us out. It then headed in the direction of the ship.

It is good and reassuring to know that there is some protection out here to give the pirates something to think about. Even so within the past 30 days there was one unsuccessful attack about half way down the IRTC.

A vessel under attack is advised to immediately hail a EU/Coalition war ship which will dispatch a helicopter to deter the attackers. While there have been about 30 attacks (all to commercial vessels) in the past 30 days, 6 or so have been successful. I read somewhere that the odds of a commercial vessel being attacked are 1 in 300 while the odds of a successful attack (hijack) are 1 in 900. Things in Somalia (and many other countries for that matter) are tough and having hundreds of prizes worth ransom of $10 to $20 Million or more sail by each day is a big temptation especially when the penalty for being a caught pirate is light.

We have seen countless gigantic container ships, tankers, bulk carriers, two LPG ships and a few car carriers in the past day and a half all passing within 2 to 5 miles The world's appetite for �"stuff�" is great and many providers are efficient at delivering the stuff. Much of which soon ends up in land fills.

We have been motoring since we entered the IRTC as there has been very little wind. We have abut 8 knots from dead astern and we are making 9 knots so the wind crossing the deck is only about 1 knot. The 100 hp Yanmar engine has been running well and we sure hope it continues to! We are going through a fuel filter about every 24 hours though and have 5 more to go. We expect to be sailing within the next day so we think we have enough spare filters aboard to get us at least to Egypt. If not we will clean dirty ones an reuse.

About 300 miles to go till we get will inside the Red Sea and out of pirate territory. While on passage we have been a �"dry�" boat but once inside the Red Sea we will celebrate!

All is well aboard Convergence.

Randy

>
Comments
Vessel Name: Convergence
Vessel Make/Model: Wylie 65
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, California
Crew: Sally-Christine Rodgers, Kent-Harris Repass, Randy Repass
Extra:
For more information about the boat including photos go to: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BoatingExpertsView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&catalogId=10001&page=Randy-Repass-The-Convergence For information about "What Worked and What didn't" go to: [...]
Convergence's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.