Convergence

12 June 2017 | North of Gulf Stream
11 June 2017 | Bermuda
10 June 2017 | Bermuda
31 May 2017 | 31 51�' N 63 14�' W
30 May 2017 | 30 58�' N 60 26�' W
27 May 2017
25 May 2017
24 May 2017
22 May 2017
22 May 2017
20 May 2017 | 26 21' N, 24 55' W
17 May 2017
16 May 2017 | Lanzarote Canary Islands
16 May 2017 | Lanzarote Canary Islands
16 May 2017 | Lanzarote Marina Canary Islands
28 February 2011

Red Sea Wind

09 February 2011
Randy Repass
10Feb2011

Red Sea Wind

Within a few miles of the end of the IRTC and about 100 miles before leaving entering the Red Sea we spotted what looked like a skiff about a mile and a half off our starboard bow on course to cross near us. Skiffs are what pirates use to attack so we were concerned. This was the first non commercial vessel we had seen since leaving the Maldives. We didn't know if this was a pirate but I immediately put out a informational call on the VHF hoping that a war ship would hear it. A cargo ship answered and called for a war ship but none responded. We changed course to head in the opposite direction the skiff was traveling. As we watched closely we were relieved to see that the skiff held it's course. We think it was a fishing boat close to 100 miles from home.

Last night at 0300 we were very happy to leave pirate alley and enter the Red Sea at Bab El Mandab the 13 mile wide southern entrance knick named �"the gates of hell�". That name came about because winds funnel through the narrow entrance and can get quite strong. They went from 4 or 5 knots to 25 when we went through and caused us to drop our mizzen and sail only with a reefed main dead down wind. During that maneuver the shackle pin that holds the topping lift to the mizzen boon let go (ring ding came out and pin fell out) dropping the mizzen boom to the deck. Problems seem to happen at the most inopportune times!

We secured the boom, dropped the main and motored about 15 miles to the lee of an island just a few miles off Assab, the southern most of two ports in Eritrea. We briefly anchored at first light and fixed that problem and also replaced the worn fan belt for the Yanmar alternator and fresh water pump. Did it all in about 30 min which was good because as soon as we anchored a small boat came from shore and motioned that we had to leave right away. Maybe the island was a military base or a prison we don't know. We hurriedly finished and left as we could see a larger power boat about a two miles away heading our way. We raised the main and were gone in a flash.

Due to the predicted strong northerlies coming tomorrow (they have already arrived) and predicted to last for at least the next week plus, we are headed to Massawa, the northern most port of Eritrea. Although we were told there wasn't much in the way of supplies there I'm sure we will find something to eat and we understand that the local beer is good! Eritrea is not all Muslim, it is part beer drinking Christian too!

We get to experience Eritrean culture!

Randy

Photo of chef Joseph taking chess lessons from Kelly.

>
Comments
Vessel Name: Convergence
Vessel Make/Model: Wylie 65
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, California
Crew: Sally-Christine Rodgers, Kent-Harris Repass, Randy Repass
Extra:
For more information about the boat including photos go to: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BoatingExpertsView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&catalogId=10001&page=Randy-Repass-The-Convergence For information about "What Worked and What didn't" go to: [...]
Convergence's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.