Cruising with Grace

20 May 2018 | My kitchen, Needham MA
16 May 2018 | Mooring 831, Hewitts Cove, Hingham MA
04 May 2018 | Cape May harbor, off the Coast Guard base
25 April 2018 | Onancock Creek
10 April 2018 | Barefoot Landing Marina, which is free while they are closed
02 April 2018 | Turtle Island, just inside the border with South Carolina
26 March 2018 | St Augustine Municipal Marina, right next to the Bridge of Lions
22 March 2018 | ICW Mile 946
17 March 2018 | Old Bahama Marina, West End, Bahamas
11 March 2018 | Conch Marina, Marsh Harbor
04 March 2018 | Anchored off Russell Island next to Spanish Wells
24 February 2018 | Off Monument Beach, Stocking Island
18 February 2018 | Anchored off Stocking Island, across the harbor from Georgetown
11 February 2018 | Georgetown
04 February 2018 | Nassau Harbor Club Marina
28 January 2018 | In a slip at the Nassau Harbor Club Marina
19 January 2018 | Anchorage between Whale and Bird Cay
15 January 2018 | South of Frazier Hog Island
11 January 2018 | Browns Marina, Bimini, Bahamas
07 January 2018 | No Name Harbor, Key Biscayne

Heading South! (and a needed rest day)

05 October 2017 | Atlantic City
Sunny, with 15 kt S breeze
For the first 5 days, I've been mostly heading west - down Buzzard's Bay, and along Long Island Sound. But since Tuesday, my direction has been mostly south - where warm waters and weather lie, along with peaceful coves (or so I imagine).

Tuesday morning, I got up early, hoisted the dinghy onto the foredeck, and made my way through Hell's Gate and down the East River. I timed my passage for just after the current turn, and the water was mostly smooth. Lots of pics which I've uploaded. New York Harbor was very busy, with ferry boats and water shuttles everywhere. Then down New York Harbor, under the Verrazano Bridge, and out Amborse Channel to Sandy Hook. The seas got progressively rougher - which continued as I rounded Sandy Hook and headed down to Manasquan Inlet on the New Jersey coast. Motor-sailed most of the way, so I could arrive at Manasquam by 5:00. Tied up on the Brielle Yacht Club gas dock, as there was no one there, and I thought I might get a free night - no such luck as they arrived the next morning before I left - $96!

Yesterday, I headed out - destination Atlantic City. The day started out very nice - nice breeze from a good direction, and long smooth swells. But things started to go down after noon, when the wind picked up with gusts up to 20kts, wind direction changed so it was from dead ahead, and the seas got progressively rougher. I ended up motoring for the last 5 hours, slamming into waves, the bow pitching up and then coming down on the next wave with a 'crash'. There was another sailboat about a mile away going in the same direction, and I watched as he banged into waves. When you have conditions like this, there isn't much you can do except bear it. Uncomfortable moving around the boat, don't feel like eating - all you can do is sit and watch the waves - and it's very tiring. Progress was slow, and I didn't get into Atlantic City inless until 7:30, navigating by chartplotter and the light of the moon. I had to get the dinghy off the foredeck as we were carried forward by the tide, so I could get the anchor locker open.

I'm currently anchored in a bay surrounded by salt marshes inland from Atlantic City - the casinos are about 1 mile south of me. When I woke this morning, I was tired! Weather and sea forecast for today is like yesterday afternoon - same winds, same direction, somewhat worse seas. So I've decided to stay put for the day, and go to Cape May tomorrow. Today will be for reading, puttering on projects and getting rest.

I got the tracking map to work - although, it doesn't work the way I though it would. So you may still want to use this link.

ALSO - if you want to see the pictures - they aren't easy to find! At the top of the Blog, there is a yellow menu bar "Blog Map Gallery Profile". Click on the Gallery link, and then click on the album "Journey down to Florida".

I also want to give a shout-out to Ron and Jay, who text me encouragement and advice as I've made my way down here - Thanks!

I am looking forward to those warm, gentle breezes, water and picturesque coves!
Comments
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 320
Hailing Port: Needham MA
Crew: Alex Cullen
Extra: This trip will be my 'transition to retirement'
Grace's Photos - Main
44 Photos
Created 22 March 2018
From Dec 29th thru until March
100 Photos
Created 31 December 2017
September to December
93 Photos
Created 29 September 2017