Curlew's Log

01 August 2016
31 July 2016 | Rockland Harbor
30 July 2016 | Rockland Harbor
29 July 2016 | Rockland Harbor
28 July 2016
26 July 2016
21 July 2016
19 July 2016
18 July 2016
17 July 2016
16 July 2016
15 July 2016
14 July 2016
08 July 2016
07 July 2016
05 July 2016 | Delaware Bay
30 June 2016 | Chesapeake Bay
30 April 2016 | Baltimore

Block Island

23 July 2010 | Block Island, RI
Thierry
Tuesday July 20 to Thursday July 22
In the morning I moved CURLEW to the fuel dock to top up the diesel tank. Tom and Barry, the crew for the first part of the trip to Block Island, came on board and we left at 1015, at high tide to benefit from the south bound current down the Delaware River. The Delaware (River and Bay) must be one of the most boring stretches of water you can imagine. It is completely featureless (except, perhaps, for the Salem Nuclear Power Plant) and is very shallow outside of the channel. It almost always involves lots of motoring, and this time it was no different. We motored all the way down the Bay and around Cape May and did not get any wind until 0545 on Wednesday morning when a gentle breeze (10/12k from the SW) sprung up.

We set sail and turned off the engine. During the morning and early afternoon the wind shifted around a bit and dropped below 10 k for a while before it increased again and settled at SW 15/18 k in the late afternoon. That resulted in quite a few sail changes. First: main to SB on a preventer, and jib to port on the telescoping whisker pole. The whisker pole has its own fore and after guys, an extension control line and a topping lift, so including the jib sheets and the jib furling line there are 7 lines that control this set up. After the wind had shifted and we had sailed with the wind over the SB quarter for a while I decided to jibe. This goes as follows: Change course to port to bring the wind on the port quarter, release the boom preventer, winch in the main sheet, do a controlled jibe, reset the boom preventer, furl the jib, take the whisker pole down and move it to SB, reset all the lines and jib sheet and unfurl the jib.

This involves quite a lot of work on deck, so while you do all this juggling you wear a safety harness that allows you to move around while being attached to the boat with a tether. I admit that a safety harness and tether is important, but it also restricts your movements. It often just comes up short or ends up wrapped around some piece of deck hardware, or it somehow wraps itself around one leg and you have to untangle yourself before you can finish the job at hand.

After an hour or two the wind had become so light that I decided to furl the jib and hoist the big drifter (aka "Code Zero") to SB. This is set on its own halyard and has a removable furler with a continuous furling line. Of course it has its own set of sheets, so we just added 4 more control lines to the mix. Within an hour the wind started to shift and after a while I decided to jibe again and set the drifter on the whisker pole to port.

Around 1700 on Wednesday the wind started to increase and we furled and lowered the drifter and put the jib back up. The wind continued to increase and at 1950 we put in a reef. On the radio we had heard of severe thunderstorms in the New York and Long Island area, and after nightfall we could see cloud cover building from the west. They hit us around 2300 but seemed to have lost most of their punch. We got some gusts and sudden wind shifts besides rain, but I don't believe the gusts were over 35k. We had already furled the jib, and out of precaution I lowered the mainsail, but it was all over in 30 minutes. We were left with no wind and a confused sea. We turned on the engine and set the main (with one reef) to stabilize the boat a bit.

At 0215 on Thursday the wind had picked up from the northwest. We turned of the engine and set the jib. The weather forecast was for wind increasing to 15 to 20k, with gusts to 25, so I left the reef in the main. At 0420 the wind had increased to 18/21k and gusty, and we furled the jib and set the smaller staysail instead. At 0820 we were able to set the jib again and at 1045 I decided to take out the reef. Two hours later the wind picked up again to 19/22k and we put the reef back in. On 1445 on Thursday we entered the Great Salt Pond at Block Island and dropped anchor after 53 hours underway.

It was a very successful trip with some great sailing. Most of Thursday was broad reaching under jib and main with one reef; it does not get much better than that.

Despite some quirks the AIS box was informative (although it lost its GPS signals twice for no apparent reason) but we did not have to hail any other vessel on the VHF.

We saw dolphins, 2 pilot whales (briefly), shearwaters and stormy petrels.

Today (Friday) we are are spending a lazy day at anchor in BI (it's raining anyway).
Comments
Vessel Name: Curlew
Vessel Make/Model: Cabo Rico 42 cutter
Hailing Port: Baltimore, MD
Crew: Thierry Danz
About: Hometown: Philadelphia, PA - Members SSCA, Cruising Association (London, UK)
Extra:
CURLEW is a Cabo Rico 42, built in 2003. LOA 46' 10" 14.25 m LOD 42' 6" 12.95 m Beam 12' 8" 3.85 m Draft 5' 10" 1.80 m Displ 32,000 lbs. 14,500 k Mast height 58' 17.7 m Sail area (100%) 931 ft2 86.5 m2 Sail area (total) [...]
Curlew's Photos - Main
48 Photos
Created 8 September 2016
66 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
52 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
19 Photos
Created 29 August 2011
17 Photos
Created 13 August 2011
32 Photos
Created 2 November 2010
107 Photos
Created 14 July 2010
Friends and their boats who were/are important to me.
20 Photos
Created 7 May 2009
A picture gallery of our trip south in the winter of 2008 and 2009.
89 Photos
Created 16 March 2009
Pictures taken by the factury during Curlew's construction.
72 Photos
Created 17 February 2009
A picture gallery of our trip south in the winter of 2008 and 2009.
120 Photos
Created 17 February 2009
These are Thierry's previous boats (and his dad's and his grand-dad's)
14 Photos
Created 15 February 2009