Curlew's Log

05 August 2016
04 August 2016 | Castine, Smith Cove
01 August 2016
31 July 2016 | Rockland Harbor
30 July 2016 | Rockland Harbor
29 July 2016 | Rockland Harbor
28 July 2016
26 July 2016
21 July 2016
19 July 2016
18 July 2016
17 July 2016
16 July 2016
15 July 2016
14 July 2016
08 July 2016
07 July 2016
05 July 2016 | Delaware Bay

Wooden Boat

05 August 2016
I sailed around Cape Rosier, down the Eggemoggin Reach and anchored near the finish line of the Camden to Wooden Boat race in 50 ft of water, The best places had already been taken by other boats and as I like my space I had to anchor in deeper water. I put out 150 ft of chain and waited for the boats to arrive. The last leg was downwind, so some boats entered the anchorage under spinnaker. Not every take down went smoothly, but that added to (my) enjoyment.

Famous boats in Castine

04 August 2016 | Castine, Smith Cove
Concordia 39 "Phalarope" at the start of the race

I left Pulpit Harbor on Tuesday for the short sail to Castine, where I anchored in my usual corner in Smith Cove. Usually there are one or two boats anchored in this area, but today there was a whole fleet. Several boats flew the Rockport Yacht Club burgee and were obviously part of a club cruise, but there were also several cruising sailboats with full cockpit enclosures (aka "oxygen tents") and other paraphernalia (aka "crap on the back") that normally don't venture this far north.

I received a message from my in-laws at home that George, my 95 year old father in law had fallen and was taken to the trauma center at UPenn. Not a good thing at his age.

The next morning, Wednesday, I went ashore and visited friends that I had met last year through Singles On Sailboats, Ann and her partner Charlie. They had invited me to attend the events surrounding the feeder race from Castine to Camden, leading to the annual Eggemoggin Reach Regatta. Ann's beautiful Concordia yawl was one of the participants, Preceding the regatta was a seminar organized by the Castine yachtclub about the S&S yawl Dorade and the replica schooner America. Dorade was docked at the Castine town dock and was open to visitors.

I could not help myself by taking a selfie in Dorade's cockpit:

John Rousmaniere was one of the speakers at the seminar and at the following cocktail party I had a brief chat with him. I told him that had I known that I would meet him here, I would have brought my Dutch 1981 copy of his book "Fastnet Force Ten" for him to sign! Finally, after a great dinner with Ann's family and friends in her house overlooking Castine Harbor, I returned to Curlew. It was a dinghy trip in the dark but with the help of the MX-Mariner app on my cell phone I found her without hitting any rocks.

Thursday was the start of the Castine to Camden race. It was breezy and it promised to be a great day for a race. The boats started in several classes. One of the conditions of this feeder race is that every boat tows a dinghy. So you see the boats towing the smallest and lightest dingy to minimize drag! I took several more pictures and will put them in the Gallery (at the top of the screen, under "Maine 2016"). We watched the start from Ann's friend's motorboat Kismet. Returning to Castine after all boats had started we noticed smoke coming from on of the little islands on the Bagaduce River. Some of the trees had caught fire but the fire boat was there pretty quickly to put out the fire.

Pulpit Harbor

01 August 2016
Pulpit Rock (a picture from my 2010 trip)

A short sail to Pulpit Harbor. I finally entered and anchored here under sail. The charter schooners always come in under sail, and some of the locals do too. It is a somewhat tricky entrance, you always have to tack once or twice once you are inside to avoid the rocky shoals around pulpit rock and the shoal opposite a little further in. It was something I always wanted to do but I chickened out on previous visits and entered under power. Not this time. I felt good!

More cell phone troubles

31 July 2016 | Rockland Harbor
Sunday I called my cousin Jean in Amsterdam for his 75th birthday. I did a few chores on board before I called my sister-in-law Jean. When I dialed her number, I got connected to Verizon with a recorded message. I checked the phone and noticed that I had lost the 4G signal. After a few more tries I gave up. Whatever number I dialed, I always was transferred to this Verizon recorded message. I went back to the Verizon store. It took them a long time to figure it out. "I have never seen anything like this; We've sold dozens of this LG model and have had no problems; We may have to replace your phone" were some of the comments the Verizon person made. Not what I wanted to hear. But when he went into my account on-line to see if there was anything else he could do before he had to replace my phone, he discovered that my account had been suspended. Everything back to normal after he re-activated my account. A sigh of relief. But no explanation as to why my account was suspended.

Then to my favorite marine store, Hamilton Marine. I bought line to replace two sections of the lazy jacks that I had not replaced when I changed the lower sections earlier.

A new cell phone

30 July 2016 | Rockland Harbor
First thing to do: BUY A NEW PHONE. It is amazing how much we depend on these things nowadays. Besides contacts I have a lot of weather and nav applications on that phone, and other apps that make life easier (such as the shopping list!). I also use it as a hot-spot to get internet on my laptop. The phone function is really only a minor benefit of this instrument. Lucky I have an LG tablet with 4G access that has the same functionality as my phone (except the telephone function), but it is too big to carry around in a pocket.

The Verizon store was across the street from the dinghy dock at Knight's and I told them what happened and that I needed a new, affordable, smart phone to replace my stolen HTC. I also mentioned that I used to have insurance, but that I had cancelled the coverage only 5 days ago as I thought it was not worth the $10 per month. Clearly one of my poorer decisions. They sold me a new LG phone for a little over $200. The HTC replacement for my "old" phone (I bought it in November of last year) would have been over $600. As the WiFi at the Verizon store was very slow (they told me that they don't have FIOS in Rockland, not even at the Verizon store!), I went to the local pub and used their WiFi to reload all my contacts and download and install the numerous apps that I needed. I don't recall how long I stayed at the pub, but it was at least two hours, if not longer. I ate a burger and nursed a beer. (It was shortly before noon when I walked in.) Later on board I played with the phone to arrange all the apps and configure them the way I wanted. Finally, dinner at the Pearl Restaurant. Bad meal, bad service. I don't know why I even go there. It had been the same ever since they opened a few years back.

A beautiful sunset ended the day.

Cell phone troubles

29 July 2016 | Rockland Harbor
It was foggy when I got up on Friday morning but it lifted around 10. So far it has been a sunny Maine, with very little fog. The Seaclearlies left early this morning bound for Bucks Harbor up in the Eggemoggin Reach. I left around 1030 for the short trip to Rockland. I had to pick up prescription medications at the local Rite Aid pharmacy that I had my doctor's office in Philadelphia call in earlier.

I anchored in Rockland at 1350 and went to the Rite Aid later that afternoon. After I picked up my medications I briefly checked the shopping list that I keep on my cellphone. Then I put the cellphone on a shelf to check that I had received the correct medications before I wandered further into the drugstore to see if there was anything else I needed. Fifteen minutes later, just after I had left the store, I realized that I had left my cellphone on that shelf. I rushed back; phone gone. A person who stood in line for the pharmacy said that someone had picked it up to take it to the main check out counter near the exit. Well, someone walked out with it. Stole it. Fortunately I keep the phone protected with a pin code. Later on board I reactivated an old 3G phone and called Verizon to report the phone stolen. They can remotely do a factory reset and wipe out all the data on the phone, but that does not include data that you have on an SD card. I have nothing on there that is sensitive, just pictures that I also have on my laptop. Tomorrow I'll go to the local Verizon store to buy a new phone. The spare phone's battery is almost dead and won't hold a charge for much longer than an hour.

Exploring Seal Bay

28 July 2016
I took the dinghy around Seal Bay and went ashore on a small sandy beach, or so it appeared at first. I was wearing flip-flops and when I stepped out of the dingy my feet sank several inches in the soft surface. I tried to take a few steps but it was not getting better. I struggled to get back in the dinghy and when I had rinsed off my feet and flip-flops I saw that I had cut one of my toes badly on the many sea shells that were buried in the muck. So much for this venture ashore.

Seal Bay with the Seaclearlies

27 July 2016
I was underway at 0700. The wind was non existent at first, but a light breeze sprung up a little after 1100. It was too light for just the yankee and staysail, so I set the drifter instead of the yankee, but left the staysail up. With 11 kt wind from the SSW we were making decent speed. I had texted June & Duane, the owners of Seaclearly, CR42 # 14, to find out if they were still in Seal Bay on Vinalhaven. They were, so I set course for one of my favorite anchorages in Maine to meet them. Around 1530 I turned the engine back on and motored the last hour and a half to get there by cocktail hour. I dropped anchor near them at 1655. They had been invited for drinks on a nearby anchored vessel (Dawnpiper, a Ron Holland designed Trintella 45) and I joined them there. It was good to see old friends again. Later we had dinner on their boat.

Boothbay Harbor

26 July 2016
Boothbay Harbor (an old picture)

I spent the past 6 days on mooring #6. I rode my bicycle around the peninsula and to the Hannaford's supermarket for food shopping. Funny, it seems that all the supermarkets here in the northeast (Hannaford's, Stop&Shop and Giant) are owned by Ahold/Albert Heijn, my old greengrocer in Amsterdam). There is not much else to report, besides that I ate and drank too much and that it is time to get out of here.

To Boothbay Harbor

21 July 2016
Jack and TD at the Carousel Marina

I left Gloucester Wednesday morning at 1050. There was no reason to leave early as I did not want to get into Boothbay Harbor in the middle of the night. I set all sails in the outer harbor and let the engine run for another half hour or so to charge the batteries a bit. It turned out to be perfect sailing, all the way to Boothbay Harbor the next morning. The wind was from between W and NW, form 10 to 15 knots most of the time. At 1845 I put in a reef when the wind picked up to 15 to 20 knot. A full moon at night, a lazy swell from the W and practically no wind waves. Just perfect. At 0250 Friday morning I shook out the reef. The wind then became quite light but as we had been making such good progress I let Curlew just ghost through the night for the rest of the trip. At 0545 on Thursday morning, inside the Bay leading to Boothbay Harbor, I turned on the engine, lowered the sails and at 0615 tied up at Jack Cogswell's Carousel Marina fuel dock. The fuel dock did not open until 0700 but Jack and Mike were already out to welcome me back. At 0725 I was on my usual mooring (#6). I ran the engine for an hour to charge the batteries and later I hoisted the Ampair wind generator. Twenty hours underway and only one hour of motoring. Finally good sailing. This was the kind of trip that reminds you why you own a sailboat. Finally drinks and dinner with Mike at the bar of the Whale's Tale. It feels like coming home.

To Gloucester

19 July 2016
The east going flood was running in the CC Canal until 1000. So I left early, at 0620, and motored through the canal and was at the east end at 0745. I raised the main, the yankee and staysail and turned off the engine. I had a nice sail until 1015 when the wind shifted from the NNW to the N and then died. I ran the engine until 1300 when the wind picked up again at 10 knots from the ENE. It became quite light later, but I was able to sail almost all the way to Gloucester. I tried to contact the harbormaster to find out if there was a town mooring available. No answer on either the VHF or the phone number that was listed in the pilots. When I got to the mooring field I picked up an empty mooring that looked sturdy enough to hold Curlew (some moorings seemed to be in a state of neglect). Someone in a launch stopped by for a chat and after a lengthy and convoluted conversation it became clear that I was on a private mooring, but that the owner was away cruising. So I stayed for the night and nobody bothered me.

To Onset

18 July 2016
I left MV at 0900 to catch slack tide at Woods Hole. Once through there I initially had a nice sail up Buzzards Bay. However, the SW wind increased much beyond what was forecast, and when I hit the full ebb in the approach to the Cape Cod Canal it quickly became real sporty. I took the main down timely and ran before the wind with the engine at low rpm through some very turbulent water. I had experienced something similar a few years back on the way south, but it was much worse then as I I had the wind and waves on the nose. This time I had the wind behind me. After some concentrated steering I dropped anchor in Onset at 1310. I did not bother to launch the dinghy as I planned to leave for Gloucester the next morning.
Vessel Name: Curlew
Vessel Make/Model: Cabo Rico 42 cutter
Hailing Port: Baltimore, MD
Crew: Thierry Danz
About: Hometown: Philadelphia, PA - Members SSCA, Cruising Association (London, UK)
CURLEW is a Cabo Rico 42, built in 2003. LOA 46' 10" 14.25 m LOD 42' 6" 12.95 m Beam 12' 8" 3.85 m Draft 5' 10" 1.80 m Displ 32,000 lbs. 14,500 k Mast height 58' 17.7 m Sail area (100%) 931 ft2 86.5 m2 Sail area (total) [...]
Curlew's Photos - Main
48 Photos
Created 8 September 2016
66 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
52 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
19 Photos
Created 29 August 2011
17 Photos
Created 13 August 2011
32 Photos
Created 2 November 2010
107 Photos
Created 14 July 2010
Friends and their boats who were/are important to me.
20 Photos
Created 7 May 2009
A picture gallery of our trip south in the winter of 2008 and 2009.
89 Photos
Created 16 March 2009
Pictures taken by the factury during Curlew's construction.
72 Photos
Created 17 February 2009
A picture gallery of our trip south in the winter of 2008 and 2009.
120 Photos
Created 17 February 2009
These are Thierry's previous boats (and his dad's and his grand-dad's)
14 Photos
Created 15 February 2009