Kia Ora

14 May 2015 | Fakarava Atoll, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
25 April 2015 | Hana Moe Noa, Tahuatu, Marquesas, French Polynesia
24 April 2015 | Atuona, Hiva Oa, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
13 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific, still
11 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific, still
11 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific, still
09 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific, still
02 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific
07 March 2015 | Galapagos, Ecuador
07 March 2015 | San Cristobal, Galapagos
05 March 2015 | Galapagos
01 March 2015 | Galapagos Islands
27 February 2015 | Galapagos Islands
27 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
26 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
26 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
26 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
23 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
18 February 2015 | Still in Las Perlas Islands
17 February 2015 | Las Perlas Islands, Panama

Pierre's Echo Bay Marina

05 July 2011 | Echo Bay
We came into Echo Bay with the plan to anchor out in the bay. There turned out not to be enough room for swinging around the bay. As we were deciding (arguing) about what to do a pretty little bird landed on our lifeline. A sign of good luck?? There was a lovely marine on our port side so we called them on the radio and asked for a slip assignment. What a great place to mistakenly tie up for a night or two! We were greeted on the dock by Pierre and Mike with handshakes and introductions all around. When we went up to register at the store, Faye was kind enough to take the time to explain all that the area has to offer and even handed us a nice paper that answered all of my questions (where is the laundry facility, how much is it, what are the store hours, how do I access the internet…) How nice it feels to have people actually care that we are here for the day!

Here’s where the helpfulness of this place REALLY counts… We have been having battery problems again. The house batteries, which are a month old, wouldn’t hold a charge. After growling and trying to figure out what to do we mentioned our problem to Jerome. He lent his load tester and helped us confirm that we probably bought bad batteries back in Vancouver. We were trying to figure out what to do. Leave in the morning and take the 8 hour trip over to Port McNiel? Deal with the bad batteries for a while and just continue to charge them with the generator? Hmmm….. Jerome told us that Pierre was making a provisioning trip to Port McNiel in the morning and that we could just order new batteries through him and he’d pick them up for us. What a deal!! Pierre returned early this afternoon and Ken installed the new batteries. Unfortunately, when tightening down the last terminal clamp, the darn thing broke! No spare on board and none for sale in the store. Ken and Jerome went on a hunt for a solution but couldn’t find a spare so Ken asked Mike if he had one and he did!! I love how boaters help boaters.

Jerome, Mike and Pierre are our heros! Thanks guys!

After the installation was complete, Mike came over to check on our progress. Ken had noticed that Mike had gone out fishing by himself the day before and had caught a 32” Ling. Ken asked if he could join him and Mike said sure! They are going to head out at 7 tomorrow morning. Good luck to you both!

This morning as we were waiting for parts, Ken and I hiked over to Billy Proctors Museum. Billy has been collecting stuff for most of his life and has it all displayed in a small building. It’s a collection of odds and ends from bottles, to native arrowheads, to old logging equipment. It was fun to look though the artifacts. He’s even built a one person loggers cabin and has it authentically furnished right down to period magazines and newspapers.

I know that it’s worrying my mom so I’ll try to make this the last time I mention bears but after we returned to the boat a couple who had gone over to the museum by dinghy (instead of by trail) saw a bear swimming across the bay. They turned around and came back to the marina. Don’t worry Mom, bears are common around here. Problems with them aren’t. We’re aware of them, we make lots of noise on the trails and they are very fat and happy.

On a less threatening note: we had a mink walking around on deck last night. We woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of little feet running around. They kind of hop like rabbits so it was obvious that it wasn’t a bear! Ha ha. Sorry, Mom. He made a circumnavigation of the cabin top and then moved on.

Even though we’ve had a hassle with the battery problem, Pierre’s has made our stay a stress free and happy event. The 5 pm cocktail/bullshitting sessions on the dock help too!

Oh! And Ken just reported a patch of blue sky. I hope that patch grows because I'm tired of the grey!
Comments
Vessel Name: Kia Ora
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Seattle, Washington, USA
Crew: Julie and Ken Dausman
Extra: In the spring of 2011 we left Seattle and headed north. We spent 6 months circumnavigating Vancouver Island. We headed out again in the summer of 2012 and are now cruising in Central America.

Heading South

Who: Julie and Ken Dausman
Port: Seattle, Washington, USA