Kia Ora

14 May 2015 | Fakarava Atoll, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
25 April 2015 | Hana Moe Noa, Tahuatu, Marquesas, French Polynesia
24 April 2015 | Atuona, Hiva Oa, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
13 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific, still
11 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific, still
11 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific, still
09 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific, still
02 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific
07 March 2015 | Galapagos, Ecuador
07 March 2015 | San Cristobal, Galapagos
05 March 2015 | Galapagos
01 March 2015 | Galapagos Islands
27 February 2015 | Galapagos Islands
27 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
26 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
26 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
26 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
23 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
18 February 2015 | Still in Las Perlas Islands
17 February 2015 | Las Perlas Islands, Panama

Whales in the bay

19 August 2011 | Effingham Bay, Barkely Sound
Julie
We left Joes bay and sailed, yes SAILED, up to Pipestem Inlet and anchored with a stern tie in Cararact Cove. The next day we took the dinghy across the inlet to Lucky Falls. When you approach Lucky Falls it just looks like a small waterfall. You tie up on the rocks at the base of the falls and climb 20-30 feet up the rock face. As you climb over the top the view is amazing! There are clear pools of water and several more water falls. As you peek around the corner there is another set of tall falls and more pools. The pools look soooo inviting but are very cold! It took some time for me to get the guts up to take the plunge but in order to get back to the other falls and pools you have no choice but to swim across. It was so cold that I couldn't even get a breath of air! Once across, Ken helped me up the slippery rocks where we climbed through more falls to get to more pools where Ken couldn't resist but to jump in a couple of times then swim across so that he could explore further up the falls.

We had the whole place to ourselves for about 3 hours. When we were climbing back down to the dinghy some sailing friends were approaching so we said hello and decided to get together for dinner together later.

Great day.

We're now anchored in Effingham Bay. Shortly after setting the anchor a Minke Whale came into the bay and gave us all a rare show. He/she was feeding! Ken heard what sounded like a bunch of fish hitting the surface and looked toward the sound and saw a giant head coming out of the water with fish flying all over! He got my attention and we both watched as the whale made his way around the small bay and then dove down and then broke the surface with its giant mouth open wide! What a site and so close to the boat too. I was so stunned that I didn't get a picture of him/her feeding. Instead I just stood on deck with my mouth hanging open.

This morning we hiked a rather rugged trail over to a sandy beach. On our way back to the boat for lunch some other friends were coming into the bay so we went over to say hi. We have plans to have dinner with them tonight.

We plan to head up the Straight of Juan de Fuca on Sunday. We'll spend some time in the lovely city of Victoria.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kia Ora
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Seattle, Washington, USA
Crew: Julie and Ken Dausman
Extra: In the spring of 2011 we left Seattle and headed north. We spent 6 months circumnavigating Vancouver Island. We headed out again in the summer of 2012 and are now cruising in Central America.

Heading South

Who: Julie and Ken Dausman
Port: Seattle, Washington, USA