Kia Ora

14 May 2015 | Fakarava Atoll, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
25 April 2015 | Hana Moe Noa, Tahuatu, Marquesas, French Polynesia
24 April 2015 | Atuona, Hiva Oa, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
13 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific, still
11 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific, still
11 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific, still
09 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific, still
02 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific
07 March 2015 | Galapagos, Ecuador
07 March 2015 | San Cristobal, Galapagos
05 March 2015 | Galapagos
01 March 2015 | Galapagos Islands
27 February 2015 | Galapagos Islands
27 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
26 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
26 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
26 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
23 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
18 February 2015 | Still in Las Perlas Islands
17 February 2015 | Las Perlas Islands, Panama

Vancouver!

29 May 2011 | Vancouver, BC, Canada
Julie
We left Thetis Island on Friday morning and crossed the 20 mile wide Strait of Georgia to Vancouver on Friday. What a great sail! Once we got out of the islands, the wind came up to about 15 knots and we sailed close hauled all the way to the city at about 8 knots.

We recently installed a Hydrovane and used it for the first time while crossing. For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, it is a unit that we use to steer the boat without using electricity (a valuable asset even WITH solar panels!) The Hydrovane worked well.

We entered English Bay and approached False Creek in downtown Vancouver just as a big hail storm hit! I’ve never been sailing in hail before. We couldn’t even see the front of the boat! Made for an exciting entrance when we were in a narrow, congested waterway.

We found a small spot to drop the anchor and then headed over to the welcome center to check in. You have to get a permit to anchor here but it’s free. You are allowed to stay for 2 weeks each 4 week period.

On Saturday we took our folding bikes to shore and biked all over Vancouver for 8 hours! We went everywhere. The farmers market, downtown, China Town, Gastown, the fishermans dock (where you can buy scallops, prawns and crab right off the boats) all around False Creek and its many parks. It’s a very bike-friendly city with lanes dedicated for bike use.

Today is Sunday. We took the bikes to shore again for a little more exploring. We can’t get a good internet connection on the boat so we are sitting at Starbucks using their free Wi-Fi. There is a supermarket across the street so we’ll do a little provisioning there.

There is so much to do here and the city is very friendly and extremely clean. I don’t remember it being like this. Did they clean it up for the Olympics?
Comments
Vessel Name: Kia Ora
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Seattle, Washington, USA
Crew: Julie and Ken Dausman
Extra: In the spring of 2011 we left Seattle and headed north. We spent 6 months circumnavigating Vancouver Island. We headed out again in the summer of 2012 and are now cruising in Central America.

Heading South

Who: Julie and Ken Dausman
Port: Seattle, Washington, USA