Kia Ora

14 May 2015 | Fakarava Atoll, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
25 April 2015 | Hana Moe Noa, Tahuatu, Marquesas, French Polynesia
24 April 2015 | Atuona, Hiva Oa, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
13 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific, still
11 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific, still
11 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific, still
09 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific, still
02 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific
07 March 2015 | Galapagos, Ecuador
07 March 2015 | San Cristobal, Galapagos
05 March 2015 | Galapagos
01 March 2015 | Galapagos Islands
27 February 2015 | Galapagos Islands
27 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
26 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
26 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
26 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
23 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
18 February 2015 | Still in Las Perlas Islands
17 February 2015 | Las Perlas Islands, Panama

UGH

12 June 2011
We haven't had internet connection for about a week and thought we'd better post via the SSB radio before people sent out a search party for us!

We are currently up in Desolation Sound. We got here yesterday afternoon and found a small laundry facility with pretty bad washers and nearly not working dryers. Well... I guess it's better than nothing.

This morning as we were loading our garbage onto the 'garbage barge' (there are no trash barrels where we are) we spotted some people from our home marina who left about a month before us. We chatted for a while and then decided that we'd go on their recommendation of a good spot to anchor and had a great sail over.

It's very deep here and you have to drop your anchor and then tie your stern to shore. We've never done this before and it was obvious we were newbies when we made our attempt. We dropped the anchor just as the wind came up and pushed us sideways. Ken scrambled to get in the dinghy with the stern line and struggled to hold on to it while rowing to shore. (Lesson one: tie the end of the line to the dingy, don't try to hold on to it while somehow getting it wrapped around yourself) Ken got the line passed around a tree and started rowing the lines end back to the boat. (Lesson two: Don't cleat the other end of the line to the boat because Ken will have a hell of a time rowing back with the line holding him back. Oops, sorry Ken) Once we got back to the boat we took up all the slack in the stern line. Just as we started to relax Ken yells 'Start the engine, the tree broke!'(Lesson three: Pay attention to the tree that you are tying to. If it's dead, it may be weak!) Luckily our friends Tom and Jeanne were close by and could help get our now floating line to another tree. We usually like to watch the antics of others while they are having difficulties instead of providing the comedy but I guess we've got to take our turn in giving a show once in a while.

The wind is now blowing against our side. Something I'm not used to.

All is well here. The weather has turned nice again. I'm happy that we have clean laundry but not so happy that the only store available to us yesterday had $6.89 butter and $5.00 eggs. They DID have the much needed charts that I managed to forget to buy in Seattle so Woo Hoo! Happy Days.

Gillian, sorry that I missed your 14th birthday party today. I hope you had fun and enjoy your gifts!

To all who comment on the blog: I love to see the comments but can't usually reply to them. Sorry. Also, I don't get to see the comments until we have an internet connection. Keep them coming!

Posted by SSB radio.

---------- radio email processed by SailMail for information see: http://www.sailmail.com
Comments
Vessel Name: Kia Ora
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Seattle, Washington, USA
Crew: Julie and Ken Dausman
Extra: In the spring of 2011 we left Seattle and headed north. We spent 6 months circumnavigating Vancouver Island. We headed out again in the summer of 2012 and are now cruising in Central America.

Heading South

Who: Julie and Ken Dausman
Port: Seattle, Washington, USA