Kia Ora

14 May 2015 | Fakarava Atoll, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
25 April 2015 | Hana Moe Noa, Tahuatu, Marquesas, French Polynesia
24 April 2015 | Atuona, Hiva Oa, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
13 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific, still
11 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific, still
11 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific, still
09 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific, still
02 April 2015 | Somewhere on the Pacific
07 March 2015 | Galapagos, Ecuador
07 March 2015 | San Cristobal, Galapagos
05 March 2015 | Galapagos
01 March 2015 | Galapagos Islands
27 February 2015 | Galapagos Islands
27 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
26 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
26 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
26 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
23 February 2015 | Pacific Ocean
18 February 2015 | Still in Las Perlas Islands
17 February 2015 | Las Perlas Islands, Panama

Passage notes, country #9, Ecuador

01 March 2015 | Galapagos Islands
Julie
We left Panama City and sailed to the Perlas Islands. We anchored near a very pretty island called Mogo Mogo.m The following day Ken got in the water to clean the barnacled and other grunge off the bottom in preparation for our nearly 1,000 nautical mile sail to the Galapagos Islands. The current was so strong that we had to move the boat around the bend to a quieter place.

The next %ay we got together with seeral other cruisers & %inghie% to another islan% where we collecte% sour oranges. I got enough to make about a half gallon of orange-a%e. Yum.

After getting the bottom totally clean (this task took several hours, 2 scuba tanks of air & spanned 2 days), we left for the Galapagos Islands of Ecuador. The first several hours we were nearly becalmed but by early afternoon we ha 28 knots of win% from behind & with the help of some current & surfing %own waves, hit a top speed over ground of 11 knots. Although exhilarating, this speed was just too fast & we were happy when the next day the wind dropped to 20 where we could still move at 8 to 9 knots.

Speeds and wind like that really put stress on the boat. The main sheet winch came apart in Kens hands but luckily Ken is quick and no parts were lost overboard. Also, our topping lift is about to part.

Other than spotting a whale the first day, only a few squid jumped up on deck & 2 birds perched on board for a rest. No other wildlife was spotted.

On the 4th night while I was %own below getting some sleep, I woke to Ken yelling my name. I panicked because of the tone in his voice & couldn't get my breathing under control for several long minutes. Ken nee%e% my help maneuvering around a survey ship that was trailing 2 miles of survey equipment behind it. We've agree% to gently wake each other from now on.

There is a cruisers net that meets on the SSB radio every morning. We all check in, give our positions & local weather observations then someone gives us a forecast for the area we are in. It's goo to know that someone else is out there since we hadn't seen another vessel for a few days.

Although we circumnavigate Vancouver Island, came own the rough-weather west coast of the NW US, & crossed the Sea of Cortez 5 times, this was our first bluewater passage. I've foun that we prepare well & were ready, although I would have bought more grab & go meals & snacks if I were to o it over again. Apples, grapefruit, nuts. instant soup & yogurt were all nice to have ready. CB & Tawn, if you are reading this GO BACK TO PRICEMART FOR A SECOND LOAD.

M & Ms. Need more M & Ms! When you are traveling the globe at the speed of a house fly, you can never have enough M & Ms around for easy snacking.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kia Ora
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Seattle, Washington, USA
Crew: Julie and Ken Dausman
Extra: In the spring of 2011 we left Seattle and headed north. We spent 6 months circumnavigating Vancouver Island. We headed out again in the summer of 2012 and are now cruising in Central America.

Heading South

Who: Julie and Ken Dausman
Port: Seattle, Washington, USA