Different Drum Sailing Adventures

Educational sailing adventures for teens and young adults "Changing lives one adventure at a time"

06 March 2024 | Shroud Cay
06 March 2024 | Allen's Cay
19 February 2024
04 April 2019 | Westside Normans' Cay, Exhumas, Bahamas
06 March 2019 | Bahamas
05 March 2019 | Bahamas
05 March 2019 | Bahamas
03 March 2019 | Bahamas
02 March 2019 | Bahamas
02 March 2019
19 February 2019
12 June 2013 | Potomac River
12 June 2013 | Potomac River
18 April 2013 | Ship Channel Cay
18 April 2013 | Norman's Cay
20 March 2013 | Highbourne Cay
20 March 2013 | Highbourne Cay
20 March 2013 | Shroud Cay
20 March 2013 | Shroud Cay
20 March 2013 | Norman's Cay

SMS in the Bahamas

21 February 2012 | Nassau
Jeff
(Josephine- Sophomore at St. Margaret's- Sailing on Boundless) After leaving Virginia with two feet of snow on the ground at 4:30 Monday morning, the six of us, plus Mrs. Armor and her daughter, flew out of Richmond to Atlanta. In Atlanta we had a three or four hour layover which we spent traveling the concourses, eating, people watching and desperately fighting to stay awake. The flight from Atlanta to Nassau was around an hour and a half, and twenty minutes prior to landing we began to spot islands surrounded by bright blue water. Upon arrival, we were directed through the shockingly simple security procedures of the Nassau airport. Apart from the lighted resort billboards, and moving baggage claim, the airport is absent of the invasive technologies and machines that fill American airports. Instead of sliding our bags through a machine programmed to detect any weapons or items prohibited from entering the country, we were asked the simple question; "Are you carrying any tobacco, weapons, or fresh fruit?" and with that we were sent on our way. Much to the native limousine driver's dismay we took a taxicab to where Mr. Armor had parked the "dingy", the small launch that would take us to the anchored 46 foot sailboat. The taxi driver took us through the streets of Nassau which despite the Hilton resort and the luxury retailers quite resembles a third world country. We met Mr. Armor at the launch and from there piled our bags and sailed out to the middle of the harbor where the boat was anchored. After boarding, we set down our bags and had lunch, while going over some of the basics of the boat. We then unanchored ourselves, pulled up the dingy and set sail out of the harbor to a less crowded location. After about an hour of sailing we anchored across from Rose island. After much needed power naps, and a dinner of hamburgers, macaroni and cheese and fruit we played "the envelope game" (a typical getting to know each game involving basic questions) and settled down for bed at around eight. As for sleeping locations, no one seemed to be feeling the crowded "V birth" so Caroline and Abbie packed into the corner cushions along the table with Hannah across from them on the cushioned bench and Grace, Thea and I opted for the cockpit. After a 7 o'clock wakeup call, we all changed, put away pillows, sheets, sleepbags, and our luggage and sat down to a breakfast of cereal and instant hot chocolate. We then had our morning cockpit meeting, going over statistics for the day such as wind conditions and battery usage. Shortly after we checked the oil, started the engine and set sail. As of now, we are sailing to the Exumas with Hannah steering, Thea and Abbie preparing lunch and Caroline and Grace on Deck.

Capt. Jeff here! The group arrived excited but VERY tired after going to bed at 1am and up at 4am to catch the plane. We are on one of our longer passages for the week heading for Norman's Cay. There we'll snorkel on a coral reef and a sunken airplane! I think everyone's looking forward to another great night of sleep and hopefully, by tomorrow, everyone will be feeling like themselves again. I'm hoping to spear some fish and lobster while at Normans's to supplement dinner! The weather looks great for this week although some light winds may have us motoring more than sailing. All for now....Capt. Jeff
Comments
Vessel Name: Boundless
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 462
Hailing Port: Chester Gap, VA
Crew: Capt. Jeff
Home Page: www.differentdrumsailing.com
Social:
Boundless's Photos - Main
Bahamas 2024
No Photos
Created 6 March 2024
NCS 5 day Chesapeake trip!
18 Photos
Created 13 June 2013
72 Photos
Created 19 May 2011