Different Drum Sailing Adventures

Educational sailing adventures for teens and young adults "Changing lives one adventure at a time"

06 March 2024 | Shroud Cay
06 March 2024 | Allen's Cay
19 February 2024
04 April 2019 | Westside Normans' Cay, Exhumas, Bahamas
06 March 2019 | Bahamas
05 March 2019 | Bahamas
05 March 2019 | Bahamas
03 March 2019 | Bahamas
02 March 2019 | Bahamas
02 March 2019
19 February 2019
12 June 2013 | Potomac River
12 June 2013 | Potomac River
18 April 2013 | Ship Channel Cay
18 April 2013 | Norman's Cay
20 March 2013 | Highbourne Cay
20 March 2013 | Highbourne Cay
20 March 2013 | Shroud Cay
20 March 2013 | Shroud Cay
20 March 2013 | Norman's Cay

Still having fun...

20 March 2013 | Allen's Cay
Capt. Jeff
As I sit down to write this, Nelly and Savannah are behind me in the kitchen making us a dinner of homemade pizza! They are on dinner duty tonight. Grace and Joey had breakfast today and Angie and I were on lunch duty.

Yesterday we made our way to Allen's Cay. We went to an island that has an endangered species of iguanas. This island is the only place in the entire world where they live. They run right up to you on the beach and then stop. Some of them are HUGE! We also went snorkeling at Octopus's Garden, which was wonderful. When snorkeling we are always in groups of 2 or more. Angie and I have been together and have come up with some great hand motions to get each others attention when we spot something worthy of showing. Grace and Joey have been partners and they were both born to be in the water! Savannah and Nelly are partners and they have gotten super good at diving under water and getting sand dollars, etc.

Today we went snorkeling again and saw so many sting rays! We saw two buried in the sand and Angie and I saw a baby one. We also saw a lot of sea cucumbers, sea urchins and tropical fish. We also went searching for conch today to make conch fritters, which are amazing. Grace and I were on a mission and found 5, but they were the wrong species so we can not eat them.

There was a navigation class today that the girls rocked. Tonight is the last night out in the ocean. Tomorrow we wake up early to sail back to Nassau, which is about a 7 hour trip. We will have lunch/dinner there, look around and hang out. We will go back to the boat to sleep. On Saturday we will be catching our airplane back to Dayton. This trip has been amazing, the girls have been awesome and I could not think of a better group of girls to spend Spring Break with.

Some words from the girls:

Joey says: "Today was all fun, but my favorite part was swimming in Grace's mermaid tail. hint hint mom and dad my birthday is coming soon. Were also planing a trip to MAINE THIS SUMMER!"

Nelly says: "Today was fun and I am burnt. But my favorite part was learning how to equalize so I could dive deeper to get things from the bottom of the ocean."

Savannah says: " I am not burnt and no one has gotten on my nerves. Best part of the day was seeing the orange sky in the morning. I also I am planning Miss. Carey's and Robi's wedding."

Angie says: "Hello all freezing parents/sisters, I do not miss you I only miss the horses, Addiegater, and Chase"

Grace says: "Hi! Like Nelly I also equalized and grabbed shells and sand dollars from the 20 foot deep part of the reef, and stayed down for 4-5 seconds! I also enjoyed seeing the iguanas from Allan's Cay. I put my hand down to pick up some sea glass, and here comes an iguana waddling its way over to my feet. And it wasn't one of those little tree lizards, it was a 1-2 foot lizard awkwardly staring into my eyes. Seeing another piece of sea glass, I reach down and here it comes; The Amazing Waddling Iguana. He is literally a couple inches away from me, so I freeze. He eyes my hand, so I think that he thinks I have food. If that made sense. So there he is, inching his way towards my hand, when he starts climbing my ankle to get to the invisible food in my hand. It was like playing with my dog, Charlie, but you could tell that these iguanas are even smarter because I played fetch with them! I threw invisible food (most likely a stick or something), he would awkwardly half sprint half waddle over to the stick and bring it back. I was laughing so much! Who knew I could easily train a wild iguana? Totally getting off topic, Joey and I swam under the boat from port side to star board in one breath! We did this multiple times and Captain Jeff owes us both two Cokes, one for each time we went under, two being the limit of Cokes. I miss everyone back in Dayton and I can't wait until i can see you all again! I've collected a ton of shells for everyone! but in the meantime, equalize, dive, and train an iguana, all in one breath."
Comments
Vessel Name: Boundless
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 462
Hailing Port: Chester Gap, VA
Crew: Capt. Jeff
Home Page: www.differentdrumsailing.com
Social:
Boundless's Photos - Main
Bahamas 2024
No Photos
Created 6 March 2024
NCS 5 day Chesapeake trip!
18 Photos
Created 13 June 2013
72 Photos
Created 19 May 2011