Adventures of S/V Adoncia

13 August 2013 | Ketchikan
12 August 2013 | Anan Bay
11 August 2013 | Berg Bay
10 August 2013 | Berg Bay
09 August 2013 | St. John's Bay
08 August 2013 | Petersburg
07 August 2013 | Petersburg
06 August 2013 | Sandborn Canal
05 August 2013 | Sandborn Canal
04 August 2013 | Tracey Arm
03 August 2013 | Holkam Bay
02 August 2013 | Pybus Bay
01 August 2013 | Warm Spring Bay
31 July 2013 | Warm Spring Bay
30 July 2013 | Warm Spring Bay
29 July 2013 | Warm Springs Bay
28 July 2013 | Red Bluff Bay
27 July 2013 | Red Bluff Bay
26 July 2013 | Kake/Red Bluff Bay
25 July 2013 | Rocky Pass Anchorage

Staging for the Glacier

03 August 2013 | Holkam Bay
John/Sunny!!!
The next morning, after checking the crab pots (we had 2 keepers is all), we pulled anchor and headed for "No Name Bay" (a small inlet off Holkam Bay). This is the staging location for trips up into Tracey Arm. We fished along the way and had no luck. But like so many other days on this adventure there is always a surprise just when you thought you had seen it all. It turns out that we had a 25 mile straight stretch through Frederick Sound and into Stephens Passage, the sun was out and we had 13 knots of wind on the stern…time for the cruising spinnaker. This is the big sail that we purchased for Adoncia prior to the trip and it was just for these conditions that we bought it. So…we set the spinnaker and had the sail of our lives. We actually sailed on the same tack for 25 miles at around 6-7 knots and it was just amazing. Towards the end, Ruby caught us (though they were motor sailing whereas we were using no motor) and they circled us, filming the entire time. We cannot wait to see these pics as the weather was perfect, the mountains looking off towards Tracey Arm were spectacular and, by that time, we were sailing in 16 knot winds. We finally cruised past a few sizable icebergs into the "No Name Bay", set anchor, took showers and had a quiet dinner by ourselves followed by crib which John managed to win. What an awesome day, highlighted by a spectacular sail. Tomorrow is Tracey Arm day.
Comments
Vessel Name: Adoncia
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 41DS
Hailing Port: Gig Harbor, Washington
Crew: Deb and John
About: John was born in England and Deb was born in Seattle. They were both raised in Tacoma and make their home in Gig Harbor. They each retired in March of 2013 and look forward to many sailing and snow skiing adventures together. They purchased their 41 foot Hunter deck-salon style sloop in 2011.
Extra: Nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people (M Twain)

Who: Deb and John
Port: Gig Harbor, Washington