Adventures of S/V Adoncia

13 August 2013 | Ketchikan
12 August 2013 | Anan Bay
11 August 2013 | Berg Bay
10 August 2013 | Berg Bay
09 August 2013 | St. John's Bay
08 August 2013 | Petersburg
07 August 2013 | Petersburg
06 August 2013 | Sandborn Canal
05 August 2013 | Sandborn Canal
04 August 2013 | Tracey Arm
03 August 2013 | Holkam Bay
02 August 2013 | Pybus Bay
01 August 2013 | Warm Spring Bay
31 July 2013 | Warm Spring Bay
30 July 2013 | Warm Spring Bay
29 July 2013 | Warm Springs Bay
28 July 2013 | Red Bluff Bay
27 July 2013 | Red Bluff Bay
26 July 2013 | Kake/Red Bluff Bay
25 July 2013 | Rocky Pass Anchorage

Bears, Bears and More Bears

12 August 2013 | Anan Bay
Deb/Sunny!!
We left at 8AM for Anan Bay. Apparently, 60 permits are issued each day to see the bears. Sail Alaska was not able to secure permits prior to the trip, so our only hope was getting a cancellation. We were fortunate that we were out of the anchorage first and first to call for permits. There was quite a wait list but when we arrived, they had just received notice that 8 permits had been freed up, which apparently is very rare. So, lucky us, we barely put down the anchor and were notified that we were up for entry. With a short briefing (absolutely no food allowed, no screaming - yeah, right - would that be possible with Deb???), we hiked up the river to a set of waterfalls where salmon were returning to spawn. What a sight - black crowded masses of salmon trying so hard to make it up the waterfall! As we rounded the corner just up from the falls, there were 2 black bear (apparently, these get as big as grizzlies) eating salmon at the edge of the creek. Then, off to our left a bit, there were 2 brown bear running through the shallow water trying to grab fish. One of them was so cute - he just laid down on his back in the river and thrashed about with nothing - he looked like he was playing but we realize that we don't know what exactly "playing" looks like for these animals. It was hard to tear ourselves away from this spectacular sight but we were lucky we did. When we returned to the anchorage, the winds had kicked up to 15-20 knots and the boats did not appear solidly anchored. Quite a dinghy ride from shore out to the boats in 3 and 4 foot chop! After dropping Hal and Ellen off at their boat, we had to attach our dingy to the davits, remove the motor, raise the dingy on the davits prior to pulling anchor and getting out of there before some disaster occurred with all those boats anchored in such close proximity in all that wind. Anyway, it all worked out fine and we set off for Santa Anna Inlet. It was only about 18 miles and the bay was beautiful, a very pleasant setting on a nice, sunny afternoon. This was one of the rare times when Adoncia was 1st to arrive at a new anchorage and so we had the pick of the litter for a place to make our home for the night. A fellow stopped by from a beautiful, 80's style 47' sailboat - they apparently have lived aboard for over 20 years and a few years back had completed a 9 year circumnavigation. They were lucky to have hit the Mediterranean prior to the pirate problem so cruised through the Red Sea and Suez Canal. Very interesting folks - they invited us aboard for happy hour - a lovely boat, indeed. We will look them up on our trip to California this fall.
Comments
Vessel Name: Adoncia
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 41DS
Hailing Port: Gig Harbor, Washington
Crew: Deb and John
About: John was born in England and Deb was born in Seattle. They were both raised in Tacoma and make their home in Gig Harbor. They each retired in March of 2013 and look forward to many sailing and snow skiing adventures together. They purchased their 41 foot Hunter deck-salon style sloop in 2011.
Extra: Nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people (M Twain)

Who: Deb and John
Port: Gig Harbor, Washington