Deep Blue

Living The Dream

The Art Café & Zaka masks

13 March 2016
You don’t need directions to find the Art Café – just walk along the Soufriere waterfront and you’ll see this brightly coloured building adorned both inside and out with colourful wooden masks made by Zaka, an English guy who has settled here. We stopped by on our way to the Diamond Falls and like it so much that it was the venue for our last night together. They will do dinner by reservation only and for US$35 pp we enjoyed a 3-course meal cooked by Lea, Zaka’s wife, and the French wine was a very reasonable EC$45 (elsewhere wine is very expensive, which is why Audra and I usually drank cocktails that were cheaper!)

The shop/café/dining room is a riot of colour with masks of all sizes filling the walls. Zaka explained that the idea came about as a way of using all the precious hardwoods that he found just lying around there. He now has several people working for him and exports around the world. Audra & Gavin bought a mask to take back as a memento of their first visit to the Caribbean and hopefully, not their last.



Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK