Deep Blue

Living The Dream

Tobago Cays

04 June 2016
The Tobago Cays Marine Park is made up of five uninhabited islands sheltered from the Atlantic Ocean by the appropriately named, Horseshoe Reef. No trip to this part of the Caribbean would be complete without visiting this beautiful place.

In many respects, the Cays are best view from above, which is what we did a few days earlier during a stay on the nearby island of Mayreau. The view of the Cays from the church at the top of the hill was amazing. We waited for the winds to drop a little before we headed over.

As we approached Petit Rameau, the water changed colour from dark blue to deep green to turquoise with the gold and brown of the reefs all around. We dropped anchor and dinghies over to Petit Bateau where we climbed to the top of the hill for a close-up view of the Atlantic Ocean breaking over Horseshoe Reef. Back at sea level, we watched the official beach barbecues getting ready for the evening trade as we lay under a palm tree on the icing sugar sand taking it all in. A stroll along the shoreline and we saw rays, a baby shark, balloon fish and an iguana perched high in a tree. All this and we hadn't even been snorkelling yet.

With a forecast of a few days of windy weather, we decided to head back to Mayreau for better shelter and return once it had passed over. For our return to the Cays, we anchored over white sand which gave the impression that we were suspended above the water. Even though we are now in the quiet season, there were still quite a few boats there, all experiencing paradise together. Local boat vendors plied the anchorage selling ice, t-shirts, fish and taking bakery orders for the next day.

We were looking forward to snorkelling with the turtles around Baradel Island and taking the dinghy over to the reef to see what treasures were there. How lucky were we.

As it turned out, very unlucky, because that night, soon after we had gone to bed, our boat was boarded by two intruders who attacked us and stole money and mobile phones. Luckily, we were not seriously hurt but our dream destination had turned into a nightmare. The response from the Coast Guard and Police was quick and efficient and for the past week, we have been on Union Island dealing with the various authorities in charge of the incident. The staff of the Anchorage Yacht Club has made us feel like family and the local community has been very supportive and kind.

We feel as if we still have unfinished business at the Tobago Cays, after all we've still got turtles to swim with, but that will have to wait until next year as we begin the hurricane season and we need to be heading south.

For a full report of the incident, please click here...

CRUISERS NOTES
Marine Park charge EC$10 pppd
Mooring buoys are available

Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK