Deep Blue

Living The Dream

The Greek temples of Agrigento

25 March 2012
Considered to be one of Southern Europe's most compelling archaeological sites, the 1300-hectare Valley of the Temples park encompasses the ruins of the ancient city of Akragas. Together with friends Dan & Judi, we decided to make a visit to see this UNESCO site for ourselves.

Arriving around lunchtime, we decided to spend our first afternoon at the archaeological museum. It was filled with hundreds of artefacts found in and around the area, some dating back to the 6th century BC. The coin collection there was also very well exhibited with sliding magnifying instruments to help you see the details on the coins.

We spent that night at Villa San Marco, a B&B situated in a perfect location (once you find it! - just follow the dirt track, going through the arch, right next to the museum) overlooking the Valley of the Temples, which was illuminated at night. Vicenzo looked after us very well and we enjoyed a lovely breakfast sat in the sunshine watching the resident peacocks strutting their stuff.

It was a perfect spring day to visit the site. The sun shone on the rich red stone and the deep blue sky made for some great photos. The Tempio della Concordia, one of the best preserved Greek temples in existence and model for the UNESCO logo, has survived almost entirely intact since its construction in 430 BC. There are several reasons for this, one being that it was converted into a Christian basilica in the 6th century and the main structure was reinforced. Another reason however is that the temple stands on a layer of soft clay that acts as a natural shock absorber, protecting it from earthquake tremors.

Tempio di Hera is perched on a high ridge offering magnificent views of the surrounding countryside. Much of the colonnade is still intact, as it the long altar, originally used for sacrifices. The traces of red on the stones however are most likely to have occurred during a fire during the Carthaginian invasion of 406 BC.

Tempio di Ercole is the oldest, dating from the end of 6 BC. But Tempio di Giove, would have been the largest Doric temple ever built had its construction not been interrupted by the Carthaginians. In the archaeological museum, we were able to see a cork reconstruction of the temple to get an idea of its size and beauty.

The drive there and back gave us a chance to see the different kinds of countryside there is here. Close to Marina di Ragusa are lots of greenhouses growing all sorts of vegetables. As you travel further west, towards Agrigento, the countryside becomes much greener with rolling fields and lots of vines.

Click HERE for the photos
Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK