Deep Blue

Living The Dream

Crossing the Millau Viaduct

10 March 2013
Opened in 2005, the brainchild of French engineer Michel Virlogeux and designed by English architect Lord Norman Foster, the Millau Viaduct spans a total distance of 2,460m over the Tarn River. It holds the world record as the tallest bridge, with its highest pylon towering 343m above the valley and we crossed over it on our journey through France!

Resembling the mast and sails of a boat, the viaduct has a gently slope and slightly curving trajectory and only touches the ground at nine points. It has become one of the Great Sights of the Midi-Pyrennes region, a region famous for the Knights Templars and Roquefort cheese, not to mention some UNESCO World Heritage sites. Unfortunately, February is not the best time to visit due to the weather but it is certainly an area that we hope to explore further in the future.

And so, having driven for more than two hours at over 3000 feet through the region, we started to make our descent to the South of France.
Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK