Deep Blue

Living The Dream

A ‘Traditional Greek Night’ & Othoni Island – the place where time stands still

05 October 2014
Separating mainland Italy from Corfu are the small, Greek islands of Othoni and Erikoussa. We were headed for Othoni but met up with Tony and gang again on the way. It was their last night and we rendezvoused at Taverna Nikolas in Agni for a traditional ‘Greek Night’ where we ate well, drank a lot, danced, sang, smashed plates and everyone finished the night doing the conga around the taverna, along the pontoon and back again. The next day was very low-key and we were a bit relieved that our partying with Tony was over, until the next time!

Our approach to the island of Othoni, 42 miles north-west of Corfu Town, was a little nail-biting. At 15m depth, we could easily see the bottom in the crystal clear water but the final approach, turning into the port, was a lot shallower with the sea breaking onto the rocky shoreline around us. The old fishing port has had EU money spent on it and can now be used by boats like ours. We tied next to one of the fishing boats and stepped ashore to explore.

This was to be our last night in Greece and Tony had recommended Taverna Babis for dinner. We walked the whole of the waterfront, it didn’t take long, it’s not that big a place but most places were closed as the season is only one month from the middle of July to the middle of August, when the Italians visit. We didn’t find the taverna but we did stop for Chris to look at an old Mercedes truck that dated back to the Second World War that someone was obviously still making good use of. The owner, a slightly built man with long hair tied back in a plait and wearing overalls, came over and chatted to us about the truck. He gave Chris a full demonstration and then asked Chris if he would help him load some beach umbrellas onto it, which he did willingly. As a reward, we were invited to join the guy with a glass of organic wine from his home town, in the middle of Greece. Together we sat under a tree, looking out across the beach and small bay, chatting away. A local man came up to him and started to talk to him in Greek. When he left, our friend explained that the man had said, ‘Babis, I’ve got some friends coming over from Italy, have you got any lobsters in your freezer that I can offer them? ‘Is your name Babis, I asked. ‘Yes, I’ve got a small tavern over there and lobster is one of my specialities’, he told us. The taverna was closed, by now it was October, but he turned out to be Tony’s friendly taverna owner! What a small world. He certainly knew Tony and as a friendly gesture, gave us the box of wine to take away with us. Now that’s Greek hospitality for you!


Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK