Deep Blue

Living The Dream

Fog on the coast....

04 September 2007 | Nazare
Left Leixoes in full sunshine for an overnight passage to Nazare and enjoyed calm seas, light winds and dolphins until dark.

At about 1am, we started noticing that the navigation lights on our friends boat, with Dave & Elaine onboard, kept disappearing from view for a few minutes even though they were less than 1/2 mile away. Within an hour, we were in the thickest fog you can imagine which is apparently a known hazard in this area in the summer, although we had no warning of it in the forecast before we left. Had we known, we would have stayed put.

Anyway, thank goodness for radar and chart plotters (how the ancient mariners managed without our electronic stuff, we cannot imagine!). Visibility was down to under 50m all the way into Nazare where we arrived at about midday tired but relieved to be here safe and sound.

It's a beautiful day here today and it's been a real surprise to see where we are! Tall cliffs with lovely old buildings on the top and a big beach full of local tourists.

Have just tried out our fold-up bikes and will add a photo to the website shortly. Plan to be here for another 24hrs before heading for Cascais, a suburb of Lisbon where we also intend to spend a few days at.
Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK