Deep Blue

Living The Dream

Terry & Sue visit us in Tenerife

15 November 2015
Marina Santa Cruz was a great base for us during a visit from UK friends, Terry & Sue, who were staying in nearby Los Cristianos. A rental car for the week meant that we saw all that the island had to offer.

First stop had to be the top of El Tiede. The drive up there was fabulous taking us along narrow, winding roads and lots of greenery. We passed cyclists who were doing the same as us and even a couple of guys who were roller-blading up (this is not a typo, they were going UP) the mountain. We planned to take a cable car to the top of El Tiede but with full car parks and long queues when we got there, we decided to take a stroll around the lunar landscape instead before heading off.

The Casa del Vino La Baranda in the north of the island is an old Canarian House that has been turned into a wine museum with a wine cellar, shop and restaurant. After learning all about wine-growing in Tenerife, we had a fabulous lunch on a large terrace overlooking the west coast with El Tiede popping out of the clouds to our side. We could have stayed there all day.

Most of the islands tourism is to be found in the south due to the better climate but is has come at a cost and it is here that you will find huge skyscraper blocks of apartments, lots of shops and restaurants all selling and serving the same stuff. Not really our kind of place but the beach at Los Cristianos looked beautiful. However, with Terry & Sue staying in an apartment, we were able to spend a lovely afternoon with them lounging around the pool, pretending we were on holiday. It was great.

One place that we did enjoy on the south coast though was Los Gigantes with its enormous sheer cliffs that plunge into the Atlantic. Around this area you find pilot whales and from high above, we did see some activity in the water, unfortunately, it was some distance away.

During their visit, it was Sue's birthday and therefore a trip to Tenerife Pearl was in order so that Terry could prove what a lovely husband he was by buying her a present there. He was very quick to say 'choose something else' when she pointed out the 10,000 euro necklace on display but she did leave with a beautiful bracelet and pair of earrings. I was also delighted to be given a belated birthday bracelet from them too that had caught my eye whilst we were there. Thank you. To round off the birthday, we ate at Casa Tagoro where the German chef cooked the most fantastic meal for us as we ate al fresco on the terrace enjoying the warmth of the evening.

As always, the week went by quickly and a final dinner aboard Deep Blue rounded off a great time together, though Terry & Sue might think otherwise as they tended to their mozzie bites the next day! Thanks for coming to visit us. We look forward to seeing you in the Caribbean!

CRUISERS NOTES
Marina San Miguel - approx. 30 euros/night incl. water & electricity
Small bar in marina is quite good and does great sangria. Bar above marina office not very good and does the worst sangria we've ever tasted.
Marina is prone to swell, especially with southerlies. This can be bad if on the breakwater wall. Try to get berth on the finger pontoon. The marina was very full during our stay with boats rafted together up to 3 deep on the wall. Not great.
Washing machines & dryer.
No big supermarkets walkable nearby for a big shop but smaller ones for day-to-day needs and they do offer an online shopping service.
Worth hiring a car if you intend to stay here and explore. Southern airport very close by.
Restaurant Casa Tagoro - c/Valle de Menendez, 28. www.casatagoro.com


Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK