Deep Blue

Living The Dream

So, you think we are mad……. meet The Atlantic Drifters!

30 November 2015
If anyone reading this thinks we are mad taking a boat across the Atlantic Ocean, how mad is rowing across???? That is exactly what Tom Brunwin & Dave Lambert are doing in a couple of weeks time as part of the Atlantic Challenge, billed as the world’s toughest rowing race.

We met Tom & Dave, from the UK, here in the marina where all the boats participating are getting ready for the 3000 nautical miles across to Antigua. There are single/double and quad rowers from all over the world and it could take anything up to 90 days to cross with the record being 42 days!

The guys are very fit and disciplined, being Army Air Corps, and have been planning this trip of a lifetime for the past 2 years. They aim to consume 6000 calories a day to maintain their pace of two hours on and two hours off, with all their food being dried (or posh pot noodle, as Tom calls it). They cannot take all the water they will need and have a small watermaker to do this. Right now, they are working out how their solar panels will keep up with their electronic equipment such as AIS, autohelm, VHF – sounds just like us!

They are a great couple of guys who are raising money for two charities close to their hearts. If you would like to read about their story or make a donation, then take a look at their website www.theatlanticdrifters.com
Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK