Deep Blue

Living The Dream

Atlantic Crossing - food

22 January 2016
Miles completed as of midday today 852

Cooking during a passage is quite a tricky thing when the boat is moving in a corkscrew like motion, you are tired and not feeling great and it is hot, but it is important to eat as well as you can. Anything that can simplify this task helps enormously.

Since we left Mindelo, although we are not eating our usual amounts, we've done pretty well with salads, soups, sandwiches and fruit during the day and our evening meal has been a freeze-dried meal to which you simply add boiling water (these have been courtesy of our friends currently rowing across the Atlantic). We've enjoyed a very spicy lamb tagine, chilli couscous with vegetables, and chicken curry with rice. Last night we started on the tinned food that we stocked up on in Gibraltar and had Morrisons Irish Stew (which was delicious and we wished we'd bought more).

Yesterday (Thurs) I decided to bake some bread. We had bought some ready made mixes and kicked off with a Oat & Linseed loaf. It turned out pretty good but was very heavy so at least we didn't eat it all in one go!
Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK