Deep Blue

Living The Dream

Bequia Bound

02 May 2016 | At anchor off Princess Margaret beach, Admiralty Bay
St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) comprises 32 islands and cays shaped like a kite’s tail falling in a south-westerly direction. St. Vincent (SV), the largest island, is at the top, with Bequia, Mustique, Canouan, Mayreau, The Tobago Cays, Union Island, Palm Island and Petit St. Vincent being the main islands. We hope to visit these as we journey south.

Lying just 9 miles south of SV, Bequia (pronounced Beck-way) is the largest of the Grenadine islands at just 7 sq. miles. Whilst the island is small, there is plenty to see and do, so we anchored in the large and protected Admiralty Bay, just off Princess Margaret beach and made this our base.

The island has a long sea-faring history based around fishing, whaling, boat-building and navigation and even today yacht services are an important part of everyday life. In addition to sail makers and chandlers, there are several local who offer yacht-side deliveries of water, diesel, ice, groceries, bread, laundry and even lobster in season.

There is a much more laid-back attitude here, compared to the larger islands that we have visited, maybe it is something to do with the creativity here due to the talented artists and craftspeople. The main waterfront town of Port Elizabeth, which is mostly just a waterfront street, is easily reached from the anchorage either by dinghy or a stroll along the pretty Belmont Walkway that connects Princess Margaret beach to the town, along which you pass traditional buildings, restaurants and dive shops. The town has everything that you need for provisioning, plenty of eateries and a very good Tourist Office for advice about what is happening whether that is the Bequia Music Fest, Easter Regatta, Carnival or Christmas events amongst many others.

There are only two anchorages on the island, Admiralty Bay on the west coast and Friendship Bay on the SE, so whichever way the wind is blowing, there is always a spot to shelter.

I have a feeling we could be here for some time….

CRUISERS NOTES
Tourist Office has great travel guides & local info. Opposite main ferry dock.
Entry port for Customs & Immigration
Rubbish can only be disposed of at the collection point just after the Fish Market
Friday is a good day for fresh produce, which mostly comes over from SV on the ferry
8am Cruisers Net on CH68
Bank with ATM

Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK