Deep Blue

Living The Dream

Water water everywhere - not

17 August 2009
We have to carry on board all of our water supplies and have a 400l tank for this purpose. We try to top it up whenever we can when we are cruising around islands.

During the winter, we bought two 15l collapsible water containers to put into the rucksack whenever we went ashore. So far we have found water at public showers and public taps (though there are not many of these in Croatia) and it was proving a little tricky to find on Molat.

However, on our walk into town, we found a disused well and next to it a tap. A little too far to carry back to the dinghy, we were in luck to also find a small trolley that looked quite new, abandoned underneath a tree. So, we borrowed the trolley and took it up the hill to the tap where we were able to fill up with 30l of water. We decided that it was too good an opportunity to miss so we put the trolley back under the tree, went back to the boat, put the water in the tank and then returned to get two more containers. We turned on the tap, nothing. We can only assume that either a) the water was only turned on between certain hours or b) it wasn't a public tap afterall and someone had seen us and turned off the water.

Next day, we thought we'd try again however, the abandoned trolley was not under the tree where we had left it, not that it mattered as the tap was still dry!! Please remember this tale the next time you turn on a tap at home!!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK