The Delivery Guy

John delivers new catamarans mostly from Cape Town, South Africa, to various destinations around the world - follow his next trip from London, United Kingdom to Fort Lauderdale, USA.

11 December 2012 | North Atlantic
08 December 2012 | North Atlantic
01 December 2012 | North Atlantic
23 November 2012 | North Atlantic
14 November 2012 | North Atlantic
05 November 2012 | North Atlantic
03 November 2012 | North Atlantic
29 October 2012 | North Atlantic
26 October 2012 | North Atlantic
23 October 2012 | Sines, Portugal
06 October 2012 | Brighton, UK
26 September 2012 | London
13 September 2012 | Cape Town
21 August 2012 | Indian Ocean
15 August 2012 | Indian Ocean
07 August 2012 | Nosi Be, Madagascar
29 July 2012 | Mozambique Chanel
27 July 2012 | Richards Bay, South Africa
05 June 2012 | St George's Harbour, Bermuda
28 May 2012 | North Atlantic

The Northern Hemisphere

06 December 2010 | Northern South American Coast
John
As the title says, we are now in the Northern Hemisphere, having crossed the equator on Friday night (3 December), at 20:10 (23:10 UTC). We crossed at 042 degrees 25.8 minutes west. As it was night, we held off our small crossing ceremony until Saturday and fun was had by all.

At the moment we are experiencing light winds from the east and sometimes from the east-southeast. This boat does not like to sail in light winds just aft of the beam, but accelerates brilliantly when the wind is on the beam or just forward of the beam, so the result is that we are plodding along most of the time between 5 and 6 knots and flying every now and again when the wind angle changes to the occasional east-northeast. Such is life when delivering yachts!

Every day we have been having pods of dolphin visit us and play around the boat. This has kept the crew occupied with something to do. The only person not going through books at an alarming rate is Dylan, who spends many hours studying to write his next skippers exam. I must admit that he has really mastered the art of navigation - the proper way with paper charts that is.

As I write this blog report, we have about a week to go before arriving at our destination. I say "about" as this is sailing and relying on making the most miles every day with the winds that we have. Sometimes it is really frustrating when you look at the speed log and see that we are barely moving, whilst at other times a person gets a great thrill to be able to achieve 7 or 8 knots with hardly any wind.

I am not going to keep this a long report as I am in watch and have to pop out to the helm every now and again to check that we do not sail in front of the occasional ship that passes us, so I bit you well until the next posting - regards from Dylan, Juan, Conrad and myself, John.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ultima Life
Vessel Make/Model: Majestic 53
Hailing Port: Cape Town
Crew: John
About:
John Titterton has sailed over 350 000 nm in the years he has been delivering sailing vessels. He has sailed the Mediterranean Sea, South and North Atlantic, Caribbean Sea and Pacific with a bit of the Indian Ocean thrown in for luck! This blog follows his deliveries as they occur. [...]

John Titterton ZS1JNT

Who: John
Port: Cape Town