Bookmark and Share
The Delivery Guy
John delivers new catamarans mostly from Cape Town, South Africa, to various destinations around the world - follow his next trip from London, United Kingdom to Fort Lauderdale, USA.
Life Abounds Around Us

On Wednesday morning we reached our waypoint off the Brazilian coast and a lot of things started to happen. Firstly, we have had birds sleeping on the boat each night - sometimes they fall off when we get hit by a big wave but mostly they manage to hold on tightly. They then fly off around about 05:00, just as there is the faintest bit of light showing on the eastern horizon, heralding the new day. We also now have an abundance of birds around the boat during the day, carefully monitoring our fishing lures when we put them out.

Then we have had pods of dolphin arriving in groups of about thirty to fifty at a time, spending some time showing off at the bows and then moving on to, most probably, forage for food in the form of flying fish. There are millions of these little fish around us each day, taking off as the boat approaches them in huge "squadrons" to get out of our way. They most probably think we are a big flying fish eating monster trying to attack them.

And then we cannot forget the humans and their machines - ships! For over 1800 nautical miles we saw not one ship and had not one squeak out of the VHF radio. Then on Tuesday evening our world came alive with fellow seafarers around us. All shapes and sizes of ships from huge oil tankers to small fishing boats are being spotted each day and our ship spotting competition is in full swing with Hardy taking the lead at the moment. The VHF is also keeping us informed that there are a lot more ships out there than we can see, as we hear watch keepers on ships calling each other deciding how they are going to pass each other.

Our first day off the coast we managed to have a noon to noon run of 188 nautical miles, which is not too bad for a 38 foot boat! Our second noon to noon run has been 199 nautical miles - again quite a reasonable run. Let's see what the next few days bring. We have had wind ranging from 15 knots to 35 knots, which has churned up the sea and made conditions quite bouncy at times but the conditions do flatten out quite quickly once the wind drops below 20 knots. Fortunately, the wind is from behind and we are running with the wind and sea.

I mentioned the fishing lures above. Our freezer is now full of Dorado and Tuna so we have stopped putting out our fishing lines for a few days, until we have eaten at least some of it. Andries is the fish cook and has kept us well fed on some well prepared fish dishes with Hardy using the Yellowfin Tuna he caught for sashimi, which is not my favourite food - I prefer my fish cooked!

And a quick addition to the above - whilst sleeping this morning after my night watch, Andries wanted some fun and put out the lines again. The result is three more Yellowfin Tuna and more sashimi for the lads for lunch.

As we get closer to the Caribbean the conditions for email via the HF radio are improving with stronger and clearer signals. Hopefully I will be able to include a photograph every now and then to add to the blog reports as the signals get better.

Thanks to those folk who have taken the time to read my ramblings and to the few folk who have posted comments. My thanks also to a fellow HAM in Cape Town, Deon (ZS1ZL), who lets me know if there are any comments and keeps us updated on what is happening "news wise" back home.

Until next the next blog entry, regards from all three of us aboard A4001. John.

The Weekend That Was

In my last blog entry I stated that we had entered Dorado territory and hoped to catch one of these fine fish. Well, on Friday afternoon we did just that. A fine specimen took our lure and before long it was being filleted and bagged. Unfortunately it was caught too late for Friday dinner but we had a great meal of fish and salad on Saturday night. But, not only did we bag one on Friday, but another on Sunday, together with two Marlin that decided that our lure was a tasty morsel to be eaten. We kept the Dorado but released both Marlin as they are really such pretty fish, although they also make a fine meat.

We have done a lot of spinnaker sailing over the weekend as well and have had the boat moving along at a good pace in a moderate breeze. She sails extremely well under this huge sail, keeping a good track and not fish-tailing like some boats I have sailed with a spinnaker.

Our "Ship Spotting Competition" is going along well - we all have an equal score of zero ships spotted! Yep, in the last 1800 nautical miles we have not seen one other vessel. I cheat sometimes and tune my handheld radio into the AIS frequency to see if any ships are transmitting their AIS reports, but that has all been quiet with nothing heard. We are, however, getting close to our first major shipping route since St Helena and should see one or two ships in the next two days. Thereafter we will be in the shipping lane which goes up the northerly coast of South America and competition should be good - Hardy has already stated that he will win the bottle of rum, which is the prize.

We have suddenly started seeing more life around us in the form of birds. Gavin, aboard a 46' catamaran about 200 nm ahead of us has reported seeing a number of whales - we have had no whale sightings since the African coast. On Sunday night we had two "hitch-hikers", of the feathered variety, sleeping on the bows. How they did not fall off during the night baffles me as we were really bouncing along at about 7 knots!

At the moment there are six Leopard catamarans all heading in the same direction and spread over about a 1000 nm distance. Every couple days we SMS each other to get positions and weather updates. All the skippers know each other and there is a bit of competition involved to see who is catching who. It's good to know that our boat, although running behind all the others, is actually keeping pace with the 46' ahead of us. We must be doing something right.

By the next blog entry we will have reached our next waypoint off the South American north coast. We then have to try and stick to the continental shelf to pick up and make the most of the strong current that flows up towards the Caribbean. If we are successful in finding it, we should have a few days of over 200 nautical miles per day. Lets hope we find the current as soon as we hit the waypoint!

Hope you all had a great weekend - we did. Regards from the motley crew, Andries, Hardy and myself, John

Going With The Breeze

Over the last few days we have been blessed with wind - from the right direction as well. We have had the gennaker up and managed to get 12.8 knots in 15 knots apparent. Not bad! When we sail with the gennaker, we make sure that it comes down when the wind reaches 16 to 17 knots apparent, as we do not want it to reach our next waypoint a day or two before the boat! Otherwise, the sea has built up a bit with the strengthening wind and we currently have a 2.5 meter swell from the east-southeast and just over 20 knots from the same direction.

One thing that we had not seen in their abundance were the large schools of flying fish. Normally we encounter them before reaching St Helena but this trip we have only started seeing them now, at latitude 10 degrees south. The water must be too cold for them so they most probably have been migrating to the warmer waters north of us. We have also not put our fishing lines out for a few days but need to do so from tomorrow as we are slowly entering Dorado territory and there is nothing better than a nice fillet of fresh Dorado baked with butter, herbs and a bit of sweet onion. Let's hope we can bag one or two over the next few days.

Before St Helena we had birds around us each day. Now we occasionally see a little storm petrel dipping in our wake, picking up the small sea life churned up in our wake. It will be another week before we get our daily dose of birds coming to have a "look-see" at us. Also, the last dolphin we saw was also before reaching St Helena. Strange that this section of the Atlantic Ocean is so devoid of sea life.

So, what do we do each day, you may ask. Well, we have a number of books with us which are slowly being read. However, there are only the three of us on board and we run a 24/7 watch system. This means that we need to try and catch up on lost sleep whenever we can. Then there is the preparation of our main evening meal. Last night we had baked macaroni cheese and tonight we are having sirloin steak with pepper sauce, baked potatoes with cream cheese and some sweet gem squash. Hopefully our meal tomorrow evening will be baked Dorado! If not, something on the chicken line will have to do.

Then Hardy and Andries have a few hundred DVD's and a portable DVD player. I must admit that I am not a movie fanatic and have not joined them watching any of the movies. But, they enjoy a movie every second evening or so and it keeps them occupied.

Now, on a subject totally different, I have been delivering yachts for a number of years and before each trip I brief the crew about having strange dreams. Each crew member has been having them on this trip as well - dreaming about subjects that are totally unrelated to sailing and sometimes quite disturbing. The other night Andries was having a really bad one and was shouting out in his sleep. He did not remember it when we spoke about it the next morning, which is quite unusual as, mostly, the crew tend to remember the dreams. Don't know if other cruisers experience this whilst undertaking long passages but I am sure some professor of sleep at some university would love to come on a delivery to monitor the crews dream patterns. It should make an interesting study.

Well, that's it from aboard Moorings A4001 for now - regards from Andries, Hardy and myself, John.

Weather and Other Things

The weekend was quite interesting. The forecast was that we should have a light breeze of about 10 knots from the southeast. Well, that did not materialise and we had light variable airs from everywhere except from the southeast! However, we have 100 percent overcast sky today with 10 knots slowly developing out of the east-southeast - let's hope it continues to develop into some useful wind to sail by.

As mentioned above, the sky is overcast with thick black clouds. We could also do with a good downpour of rain to wash the Namibian desert dust off the boat that has imbedded itself into every conceivable nook and cranny - as well as the layer of salt that is slowly building up on the boat. And then, if it is a good downpour, a good wash in fresh water for ourselves would go down a treat as well.

Things are much warmer now that we are slowly getting closer to the equatorial region. When we departed Cape Town we were all freezing and went about our watches in multiple layers of clothing with heavy foul-weather gear on top of that. Now it is down to T-shirts and short pants, although there is still a chill in the air at night. However, once we reach the equator and further north, I am sure we will all be complaining that it is too hot - just can't win, can we.

Yesterday (Sunday) we had a really flat sea and Hardy ventured up the mast to inspect all the rigging and fastenings. He found that two small bolts that hold the VHF antenna had worked themselves loose and did a quick repair job, right on the top of the mast. Andries, being a young strapping lad, did the winch work whilst yours faithfully did the supervision and gave instruction - lazy sod I am!

We also managed to catch two sizable Bonito yesterday. Part of one was consumed, pan fried in lemon butter, for dinner. Pasta was on the menu tonight (Monday) and Hardy is going to try his hand at fish cakes tomorrow evening. I must add that Andries is really learning how to cook - he made flapjacks on Saturday and baked two great loaves of bread and the fish dinner on Sunday.

Until later in the week, regards from Andries, Hardy and myself, John.

St Helena and Onwards

Our stop in St Helena was the shortest one I have ever made. We arrived in the anchorage at 10:30 and had to wait on the boat until 15:30 for the islands Medical Officer to come out and check that we did not have Swine Flu. What a waste of time! We then had half an hour to visit immigration, port authorities and customs to clear in and out at the same time.

Whilst en-route to the island we noticed that two bolts had come out of our furling drum and disappeared overboard. One of our missions on the island was to source replacement bolts and this was sorted out even before we managed to get ashore. Bruce (ZD7VC), a local radio HAM, called me on the radio shortly after we had anchored and I asked him of the availability of the bolts. He kindly left us a packet of assorted bolts with Jose, the man who was storing our diesel for us. My great thanks to him for his assistance - the bolts will be returned to you as soon as I get back to Cape Town.

We then had a quick beer and went down to the customs shed to collect our diesel that Gavin, one of our other delivery skippers, had left for us the day before. Then back to the boat to repair our furling drum and re-hank the genoa, top-up our diesel tanks and we were ready to sail. Not a very exciting visit for Hardy and Andries, who have never been to the island before.

The weather forecast for our region is for light east-southeast winds of around 10 knots, increasing to around 15 knots tomorrow (Sunday). Well, the forecaster who predicted those winds has a lot to learn. Through the night until this morning we had flat seas with a variable maximum 4 knots of wind. This afternoon we have had a northerly breeze of maximum 5 knots and, to slow us down even more, we have had a slight counter-current. We are motoring at the moment! Let's hope that the winds do fill in and we can put up some serious sail and make this a "sailing boat", as it should be.

This leg between St Helena and the northern Brazilian coast is a pretty quiet one as far as ships are concerned. We may see one or two around until we cross one of the shipping lanes just before reaching the next waypoint, just over 1800 nautical miles away. However, I have started a competition - the person who spots the most ships between St Helena and a waypoint just south of the island of Barbados, wins a bottle of good Caribbean Rum at the end of the delivery. More on this as we progress.

Hope you folk are having a great weekend. Regards from John, Andries and Hardy.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


John Titterton ZS1JNT
Who: John
Port: Cape Town
View Complete Profile »
SailBlogs Friends
In the Wind Allora 

Powered by SailBlogs