Bookmark and Share
The Delivery Guy
John delivers new catamarans mostly from Cape Town, South Africa, to various destinations around the world - follow his next trip from London, United Kingdom to Fort Lauderdale, USA.
And Into The Caribbean Sea We Go

On Monday morning at 11:20 (15:20 UTC), we crossed that line on the chart that divides the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea, when we sailed through the St Vincent Channel, north of the island of St Vincent and south of the island of St Lucia. There was no celebration other than to summon Louis and Greg to assist in repairing two of our reefing lines. Then, up with a double reefed main and off we went again, now tracking more north on a course for Sint Maarten, where we have to collect gear for the boat. We expect to arrive there on Wednesday.

On the day before, Sunday, we had our first fish since St Helena - three of the buggers within an hour! Two Wahoo where the first to take the lures and about three quarters of an hour later a nice sized Dorado decided to visit and partake in trying to eat our nice bright pink lure. Big mistake! He is now "chilling out" in the freezer whilst we pigged ourselves on one of the Wahoo for dinner. Photo above of Louis with his prize Dorado.

Whilst at sea I use the HAM Winlink system for my email. One of the things you can do with it is put in requests for information - one being the 30 closest HAM equipped boat closest to our last posted position. I requested the report this morning and noticed M0SAE (Oceans Dream) was in St Lucia. Oceans Dream is an Admiral 40 owned by Adrian and Jackie, which I helped to deliver to Trinidad about a year ago. I popped off an email to Adrian and an hour later he was calling me on the marine VHF. We had a brief chat and it appears they are enjoying the cruising life after they had spent many months with problems with the boat after arriving in Trinidad. Go for it guys - enjoy the boat and cruising life.

Our ship spotting competition came to an end about 100 nautical miles from Barbados. Louis made the top sightings with 20 ships, I came second with 18 ships and Greg last with 16 ships. So, Louis gets his bottle of Caribbean rum after we arrive in Tortola.

As I type this, we have just sailed past the island of Montserrat, which is spewing volcanic ash into the sky and with huge landslides of ash tumbling down the side of the volcano. It has been quite a sight for everyone as I am the only person on board that has seen a volcano before. At the end of the day it actually just means that we have to scrub the boat more as we are now covered in a fine grit - everywhere, including inside the sail covers.

Well, the washing will not be long off. We will arrive in Sint Maarten in the small hours of Wednesday morning and be able to do the boat wash and fill our water tanks. Oh, what bliss it will be to be able to shower ever day from now on. Remember, this is a charter boat and has no such luxuries as a water maker - all our water is in tanks and those were last topped up in St Helena.

Hope the above updates you in the delivery. Regards from Louis, Greg, Joy and myself, John.

The Northern Hemisphere

Over the past few days we have been slamming into oncoming seas, so much so that I have been worried that the banging may destroy the computer hard drive, and thus have refrained from normal computer use. Earlier today the wind, and thus swell, changed back from ahead to the beam and we are having a slightly smoother ride.

We crossed the equator on January 25 at 12:32 UTC whilst at 042 degrees 42.7 minutes west. That was at 09:32 local time and thus held off popping the cork of our bottle of bubbly until our dinner. This was Greg, Joy and Louis first crossing and all gave a tot of their bubbly to Neptune, as is the tradition.

Then it rained, and continued doing so for a full day. At the same time we crossed the ITCZ and have been having north easterly winds that have swung to come out of the north on occasions.

On St Helena, if you ask a child where milk comes from, they normally answer "out of a box". This because there are no milk cows on the island and all milk is imported. Well, our saga regarding fish is similar. Ask the crew where fish comes from and the answer will be "out of a tin". This has been my worst trip for fishing! Normally, we have to refrain from putting the lines out as we catch too much. Since St Helena, not one miserable fish other than a few dead flying fish on deck in the mornings.

Our bird life has been quite good with large numbers around the boat at all times. We have also had a few nights with a Noddy or two landing on board to spend a few hours clinging precariously to the rails. Then they fall off when we go over a large swell and start the landing process again, which can take some time if the wind is blowing.

Of course, the report would not be complete without mentioning the dolphin that come and keep us entertained for ages as they perform their antics off the bows. They really are quite marvellous creatures but do like human contact. Once the crew leave the deck, the dolphin are off to do some fishing, or whatever dolphin do when they are out in the ocean by themselves.

We are slowly closing on our waypoint just south-west of Barbados, which means that our ship spotting competition will be coming to an end. As the score stands, Louis has 19 ships, Greg has 15 and I have 16. With about two days to go, it will be interesting to see who gets the bottle of Caribbean rum.

As things are going, we should reach the channel between St Vincent and St Lucia sometime on Monday. Then it is about a two day sail up to Sint Maarten, where we have to pick up the boats load-gear before an overnight sail to our destination, Tortola. We should reach Tortola on February 5 or 6, depending on the winds we experience in the Caribbean.

I hope the above has brought you up to date on what is happening on board Moorings A1119. Regards from all aboard - John

The "Nothing to Report" Report

You most likely thought "now, what has happened to them". Well, nothing actually. The last week has really been a boring one with nothing really happening on board. I can summarise it in just a few words: No wind, no fish, no ships, lots of humidity, little energy . . . . . . Do I need to continue?

As I type this, things have changed a bit. We have a little wind, enough to sail by. We reached our waypoint off the Brazilian coast yesterday (Friday, January 22) and picked up the breeze, about 15 knots, and have had our twin head-sails up since. We also picked up the current off the coast and have been doing over 7 knots since yesterday morning, without the drone of the diesel. Ah, what bliss!

Now that we are off the Brazilian coast, we are also close to shipping lanes and we have been seeing plenty ships, ranging in size from fishing boats to super tankers. Our ship spotting competition is in full swing with Louis in the lead with 12 ships, myself second with 8 sightings and Greg tailing along with only 4 sightings. However, all can change very quickly. It is also an incentive to keep those eyes alert as we do not wish to be anywhere close to other vessels.

Our fishing is non-existent. Nothing has taken our lures and in desperation we changed them yesterday to see if we would have any luck. It worked, in a way. We lost a brand new lure and hook within an hour of the change - but still nothing landed! We really need to catch something to supplement our diet. Oh well, something must come along shortly.

As we have been drawing closer to the equator, the heat has remained relatively stable but the humidity has shot up dramatically. We are all suffering from the humidity but are slowly acclimatising ourselves to it. It also makes you drink lots of liquids but saps the energy out of us. Ah, for a nice cold larger!

We should be off our next waypoint, situated off the coast of a city called Fortaleza, by midday. We then turn about 10 degrees to starboard and start a long leg of about 1200 nautical miles to the next waypoint of Suriname before cutting up towards Barbados and then through the channel south of the island of St Lucia, where we enter the Caribbean Sea. The leg also takes us past the Amazon Delta and across the equator.

I will update the blog again during the coming week as we progress up the northern coast of South America. For now, best regards to all from the crew, Joy, Greg, Louis and myself, John.

Slow Progress

It is a week since we left St Helena and it has been rather a slow trip towards the Brazilian coast - we have had three days of motoring and four of actual sailing. Unfortunately, as I write this report, the diesel is being consumed to keep some form of progress as our wind died last night just before midnight. At first light this morning I downloaded the latest weather files for our region and it looks like at least three days of motoring ahead for us.

Over the past few days I have been reporting our position to Jack, AA3GZ in the US of A, which he logs and also posts on Shiptrak for us (link on the right of this page). We have also been monitoring the emergency radio traffic on the HF radio between the US mainland and the earthquake devastated Haiti, where the estimates are over 100 000 persons killed. It is really quite amazing how the HAM community comes together when there is a crisis and operates emergency radio communications to aid those in distress. At the moment I can hear the American Red Cross, Salvation Army and other aid organisations operating radio networks with traffic about medical assistance, aid and evacuation.

Today, other than being our eggs and bacon day, is also another time zone change day or double happy hour day. We will have crossed the 22.5 degrees west meridian sometime after lunch and thus, at 6pm local time, we put our clocks back another hour and suddenly it is 5pm again. Now, if we had alcohol on board, we would have a happy hour between 5 and 6 pm, which in our case would then equate to two periods of 5 to 6 pm. Mmm, pity we don't have a whole tray or two of nice cold beer as it is really getting hot as we slowly edge towards the equator. And just if you are wondering, by the time you read this we will be UTC-2 or 4 hours behind South African Standard Time. We will also only have another two time zone changes before we reach our destination of Tortola.

Joy is recovering quite well from her two broken ribs and is quite mobile around the boat again. She just has to watch herself and not do any more damage to the ribs that appear to be healing quite rapidly. She also has a curse in that she is a speed reader and can read an entire book in a day. The problem is that she has been through all the books we have on board and has run out of reading matter. We did manage to beg a few extra books from Mike on St Helena, but those have also been dealt with. I think that when I get back to Cape Town I need to organise a second hand book collection to take to St Helena to be used as a "book exchange". There are just no books available on the island to swop and Mike, owner of the radio station Saint FM and the St Helena Independent newspaper has promised to put a book rack up in his offices for "yachties" to be able to do a one-for-one swop. Old book donations gladly accepted - I will transport them to the island in March.

Our fishing has not been the best and we have caught nothing since departing St Helena. This is actually not that unusual as the first 1000 odd miles between the island and the northern coast of South America is not that great for catching fish. However, we are now entering Dorado territory and hope to hook one or two of these lovely fish in the next few days. We now have sufficient space in our freezer to stock up with fish. We just have to catch a few of the little (and sometimes not so little) buggers.

I normally run a competition on this leg of the delivery where the crew member who spots the most ships between St Helena and a waypoint near Barbados, gets a bottle of Caribbean rum in Tortola. We have not seen a ship for the last week and Louis struck lucky last night by spotting the first one. Well done to him!

Otherwise, life aboard continues with the watch-keeping routine rotating and life being a bit monotonous. The flying fish keep us amused with their antics but that is just about all the sea life we are seeing - no whales, dolphins or bird life around us at the moment. I am sure we will start seeing some more sea life as we get closer to the coast but I must admit that years ago we always had an abundance of life around us but very little nowadays. I am sure some scientists will blame global warming but, personally, I think it can be blamed on the over-fishing of the seas by the eastern block countries.

My thanks to fellow HAM Deon, ZS1ZL, for keeping me updated with what is happening back home and to the few HAMS that have taken the time to chat over the HF over the past week - Des ZS1YZ, Dennis ZS1AU and Gilbert ZR1ADI. Now if anybody can let us know what is happening with the cricket 5 day series between England and SA, it would be greatly appreciated.

Until something more constructive happens aboard, best regards from the motley crew, Joy, Greg, Louis and myself, John.

Moorings A1119 to the Rescue

Well, on Saturday afternoon we were all sitting ashore saying our goodbyes to friends on the island when we heard, on the handheld radio, St Helena Radio answering a distress call of a local fishing boat that was drifting off the island with loss of it's engine. There were two persons on board. Now, up to about two years ago the island had a small rescue launch but, due to costs, had not replaced the boat when it became too old for service. So, as we were a large boat with powerful engines, we were asked if we could assist in rescuing the folk on board and towing the boat back to James Bay.

So, instead of up anchor and departing St Helena, it was a quick ferry ride back to the boat, up anchor and off to Egg Island, a small island off the western side of St Helena. At 8 to 9 knots it did not take us too long but we did have difficulty trying to find the small boat as it had drifted a few miles offshore and was directly in the setting sun. However, after a short time we had the little boat visual and soon after two very happy faces were looking up to us and taking our tow line for the six mile ride back to James Bay.

The whole episode was covered by the local media and I am sure you will find some mention of it in the St Helena Independent newspaper if you go to after noon UTC on Friday 15 January 2010. You can then download the entire newspaper for free - it also makes a very interesting and humours read on what happens on a small island in the middle of nowhere.

So, as I type this blog report, we have already upped anchor (for the second time) and left St Helena for our next waypoint, which is just off the Brazilian coast and 1812 nautical miles away. Unfortunately, the winds have not set in as yet and we are motor-sailing. Hopefully we pick up the trades soon and have a pleasant downwind sail for the next two weeks or so.

Let me get back, briefly, to St Helena. It has always been my best destination and stop-over when delivering to the Pacific, Caribbean or Mediterranean. It is expensive to stop over but is worth every cent, dime or penny. It is an amazing island with amazing people who live a strange (to us outsiders) life. Stopping off there is like going back 50 or 100 years in time. It is unfortunate that the British Government have not invested more in the island to keep the fantastic historic sites and forts maintained and give the 3500 to 4000 odd inhabitants access to modern communications and transportation. The islanders have been promised an airport which is "on pause" until the world economy improves. This is something they really need to boost the economy with tourism, the only way for the island to survive in the long run.

So, while you folk go about your week, we will attempt to have a private chat to the wind Gods and get a gentle breeze to sail by. Regards from Greg, Louis, Joy and myself, John.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


John Titterton ZS1JNT
Who: John
Port: Cape Town
View Complete Profile »
SailBlogs Friends
In the Wind Allora 

Powered by SailBlogs