Bookmark and Share
The Delivery Guy
John delivers new catamarans mostly from Cape Town, South Africa, to various destinations around the world - follow his next trip from London, United Kingdom to Fort Lauderdale, USA.
The Last Leg
21/06/2010, Cape Town

Port Elizabeth is not my favourite port to stop in - it is dirty and we arrived to find that there had been a big storm in February, which had destroyed most of the marina. Due to this we tied up against a few fishing boats that are used for squid fishing. In the long run this was not too bad as you then do not have to pay for mooring fees. The yacht club was operating well and a new caterer has been appointed since my last visit about a year ago. They offer a much better service and it was great to be able to relax on the deck with a beer and some decent food.

We waited out the front that eventually passed on the Tuesday afternoon and through the night. At 08:30 on Wednesday we took our lines off the fishing boat and called port control to get permission to depart, which was granted with no delays. Then out to a very bumpy sea for a few hours until we were able to start heading west after rounding Cape Recife. We now also had the wind and swell on the port quarter, making conditions a lot smoother.

It was a pleasant sail at first, then some motor-sailing as the wind slowly died, followed with a lot of motoring again. I knew that a large front was again heading in from the south Atlantic and we monitored its progress each morning and evening. It appeared to slow down a bit and as we approached the most southern tip of Africa, Cape Agulhas, I decided to try and beat the front to Cape Town - a good decision as the front was big and we did manage to get into Cape Town just after 07:00 on Saturday morning.

So, Ultima Life is now in the V&A Waterfront, in front of the Cape Grace Hotel. The owner is still to decide when and where he wants the boat eventually taken. In the mean time it will be used for local sailing with family and friends.

Until the next delivery - John

The First Section

We departed Durban at 15:00 local time after Graham Walker, a fellow delivery skipper, very kindly drove me to the port authority building to do our clearance. After clearing the channel, we slowly nudged our way offshore, through the counter current that runs up the coast, to the continental shelf where we picked up the main Agulhas Current that runs strongly down the east coast of South Africa. It took just over 5 hours to pick it up with our speed changing from 4.5 knots to just over 7 knots within a matter of minutes. No wind so one of the iron spinnakers assisted pushing us southwest.

On Tuesday we were off the Transkei coast and lost the current for a good 12 hours - basically I came a little too close to the coast so we again nudged Ultima Life to about 18 nautical miles off the coast and picked up the current again. It is now Wednesday morning as I write this blog entry and at first light this morning we had the port city of East London on our starboard beam.

Every day we monitor the weather broadcast by Cape Town Radio on the VHF and I also do a couple of downloads via the Winlink email system. At the moment there is a cold front approaching the Cape. So, we are making for the Algoa Bay Yacht Club in Port Elizabeth, where we will wait for the front to pass. I will then also be able to do a better analysis of the weather for the next few days and see if we can make Cape Town in one section or if we have to do another stop. We should make Port Elizabeth in the early hours of Thursday morning.

Otherwise our trip is quite boring with just a lot of shipping thrown in to give it a little bit of interest. I will post another update from Port Elizabeth in a day or so. Regards from Willem, Dylan and myself, John.

Ultima Life

I am currently in Durban, South Africa, aboard a 53 foot catamaran called Ultima Life. I have been here since Wednesday 26 May, with my First Mate, Willem Greeff and crew member, Dylan Le Roux, getting the boat ready for delivery from Durban to Cape Town, a trip of about 850 nautical miles. When we get to Cape Town, the boat will be prepped for a further delivery to a destination the owners are still to decide - most likely to the Mediterranean.

We should have all in order later this morning (Monday, 31 May 2010) and depart Durban as there is a pretty good "weather window" for the next few days. Let's hope the weather stays favourable so that we can, at least, get down to Port Elizabeth.

More as we progress - regards Willem, Dylan and myself, John.

Withdrawn From Delivery
17/04/2010, Cape Town

It is sad to say that I am no longer going to undertake the delivery to Belize. This is due to personal reasons and I have decided to take a bit of a break from deliveries and will be "pottering around" at home in Cape Town. However, I will be out sailing again later in the year and will then start the blog again.


Back in Cape Town

Hi folks, sorry for not updating the blog sooner but after arriving in Tortola I had to do a quick dismantling of my com's equipment and get stuck into cleaning the boat and getting it handed over a couple of days before it was scheduled for handover. TUI needed the boat for charter as they had overbooked and were short of a boat. So, whoever was the charterer, they had a new boat in good condition.

We also had to get back to Cape Town and had to juggle our flights a bit due to one flight being cancelled due to one of the aircraft having technical issues in San Juan and then had to overnight in Atlanta (with no luggage), due to delays caused by the severe snow storms crossing the northern sector of the USA. Oh, cannot leave out the fact that Joy and I were detained in San Juan by the Homeland Security folk as Joy had been issued a business visa for the US instead of a tourist visa. Both Louis and Greg had the same visa but had no problems. Obviously the Homeland Security fellows we had to deal with were board and had to create some work for themselves. It took some time for them to sort out their internal problems and release us to continue our journey.

I am not going to expand on the trip but thank all concerned for their help and assistance when the occasional thing went wrong.

So, what is ahead, you ask. Well, A1128 is a Leopard 46' charter boat to be launched around March 23. Handover is around March 29 and I expect to depart Cape Town for the TUI base in Placentia, Belize, around 10 April. It is a trip of just over 7000 nautical miles and I will be doing the trip four-up. Renier Grobbelaar, who did a delivery with me to the Seychelles last year, is 1st Mate - and a very capable one too! As crew there will be two young lads, Cuan Nicolay, who has some sailing experience in South African coastal sailing, and Stavros Yiannakis, who we will teach how to sail within the first 24 hours out of Cape Town - he has no sailing experience but has some experience with power boats. Our route will be to St Helena and then to St Vincent before the final leg to Belize.

Join me and the crew in April as we wend our way north west and through the Caribbean Sea to the worlds best barrier reef (sorry to those "down under" - yours may be bigger but it's not better!) and the land of Maya ruins. I will update the blog a few days before departing so, until then, keep well and thanks for following my adventures. If anybody wishes to drop me an email, they are most welcome to do so - the email link is near the top of the right-hand links column. Regards, John.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


John Titterton ZS1JNT
Who: John
Port: Cape Town
View Complete Profile »
SailBlogs Friends
In the Wind Allora 

Powered by SailBlogs