SailBlogs
Bookmark and Share
The Delivery Guy
John delivers new catamarans mostly from Cape Town, South Africa, to various destinations around the world - follow his next trip from London, United Kingdom to Fort Lauderdale, USA.
Slow Progress
John
21/11/2010, South Atlantic

At the moment we are about two hundred miles south of the island of Ascension, making very slow progress towards our waypoint off the coast of Brazil. Normally, at this time of the year the trade winds have just filled in but, we have been unlucky and they are yet to arrive. Although we have been sailing with our Gennaker, we have been having very slow daily runs in very light airs.

Before leaving St Helena I realised that a leak had developed somewhere in the plumbing for the starboard side fresh water system. I even delayed our departure to try and find it and thought that I had - I found a number of pipe joints not fully tightened. However, the leak persisted and we found fresh water accumulating in the starboard rudder compartment. I could not find it and sent Dylan, my first mate, to sit in the compartment and re-check the pipe fittings. He was not there for more than 30 seconds when the only large swell of the day came along and broke into the open hatch. The result was a very wet Dylan but, fortunately, we both saw the funny side of the incident.

This incident lead to me finding our leak! I also received a bit of a wet down and went across to the stern basin to wash the salt water out of my deck shoes. When pulling the tap mechanism out of its holder, I found fresh water spraying out of the spray head joint, which had come loose. The problem has now been solved with a spanner and plumbing tape. I estimate that we lost about 75 litres of fresh water before solving the problem, something we can ill afford as our water maker does not work!

Yesterday I had two fishing lines off the back of the boat and had a big strike on the one line, but no fish. We are now in Dorado waters and I cannot wait to land one of these fine fish. We still have one large tuna fillet in the freezer, which is going to be on our plates soon if no Dorado takes the lure. Normally we catch few fish for a few days after leaving St Helena but as soon as the water temperature reaches 24 degrees Celsius, we tend to find both Dorado and sailfish showing interest in our lures. Whilst on the subject of sea life, I have noticed a total lack of dolphin and sea birds since leaving St Helena. We did, however, spot a fine Orca whale a few days before St Helena, something I have never seen before on the first leg from Cape Town.

I have started my "Ship Spotting Competition" and both Dylan and Conrad have one ship each. The AIS system spoils the competition a bit but it still keeps the crew awake and keeping a good watch. The prize of a bottle of Caribbean rum normally goes down well once we have reached our destination, which is Chaguaramas on the island of Trinidad.

At the moment we are a bit in a dead area for HF radio transmissions and I am using a station in Switzerland to send and receive our email. That station is slowly fading away as we progress towards the west. I have been able to also make a connection with one in Nova Scotia, but it is still a bit weak and will take a few days before I can make reasonable connections via it. As we head further west and slowly creep towards the equator, the stations in the Caribbean and US will become more "readable" and our email transmissions should improve. It is a pity that there are no stations on the South American continent.

Well, that's about all the news from aboard Ultima Life for now - basically we are all board and reading lots of books when off watch. Long passages like this one are very boring as life becomes a bit monotonous. So, I bid you well until my next posting - greetings from Dylan, Conrad, Juan and myself, John.

The Big IF
John
16/11/2010

IF this post gets onto the blog, it is the result of some rather good soldering whilst on St Helena - let's see what happens! It means that the HF radio is now working and we can send and receive email.

It appears the crew enjoyed their short visit to St Helena and had a good break and a few beers. We departed the island on Tuesday morning, about 16 hours after I had scheduled to. This was due to trying to find a leak in the plumbing of our starboard fresh water tank. I think we have found and repaired a bad joint, but we will have to see that we are not leaking more water over the next day or two. We need every drop and cannot afford wastage.

The wind prediction for the next five days is not very good - around 8 to 10 knots out of the south east. We really need 15 to 18 knots to keep us moving at a reasonable speed. There does appear to be a bit more wind more towards the Ascension Island sector and thus I have chosen a course quite a bit north of our normal route to the Brazilian waypoint, which is between the South American mainland and the island of Fernando De Noronha. Let's hope that we do actually get a little more wind than the forecasters predict.

Okay, I am going to try and post this and see what happens. Regards from all aboard Ultima Life - John.

Cape Town to St Helena
John
15/11/2010, South Atlantic

We departed the V and A Waterfront marina on Saturday October 30, just after 13:00 local time, this after spending the entire morning in as boat number three to tank up with diesel at the duty free fuel dock - yep, three catamarans all leaving at the same time and more or less on the same route. There was a 46' Leopard charter boat leaving for Tortola with Karl and Maria on board (delivery skipper friends of mine), Scolamanzi, a private 46' Leopard owned by Dr Scholtz and us. The charter cat was not going to stop off in St Helena but Scolamanzi and ourselves intended to.

On board is myself, Dylan Le Roux as first mate, and crew members Conrad Smit and Juan Dormehl. This is to be Dylan's first Atlantic crossing, together with Juan. Conrad has done the trip before.

The first couple of days out of Cape Town we had good winds and were sailing with our genoa only, making reasonable speeds. However, on day three the wind died and we thereafter had very light winds for the next five days - all very frustrating as we had to motor-sail to keep the boat moving, using up precious diesel doing so. Ah well, at least the batteries received a good charge!

The following two days we experienced head winds as a front moved across our sector of the south Atlantic. We were able to do some sailing but found we could not raise the main sail fully, due to a faulty halyard block - we thus had to sail with one reef in the main, loosing the full power that this sail could provide. Another problem we encountered was the locking nuts on our hydraulic steering rams both came loose and we lost steering on two occasions - once on the port rudder and once on the starboard rudder. The first incident happened at 02:00 in the morning and I had to spend over an hour in the small rudder compartment, repairing the problem as best as I could. The next day the same thing happened with the starboard hydraulic ram, but fortunately during daylight hours.

The result of the above ram failures was that we could not properly align the rudders and they remained in a toe-in position for the remainder of the leg, basically acting a breaks. However, we have now repaired the problem whilst at anchor in James Bay, St Helena. We have also pulled the main halyard and replaced the halyard block with one that is locked and cannot twist the halyard, preventing the full hoisting of the main sail.

When departing Cape Town, I had not fully installed my HF radio, as we simply ran out of time. I intended to complete the installation the first day or two after departing. However, this was not possible as I found a break in the antenna co-axial cable and thus had to wait until we arrived in St Helena, where I could repair the cable and complete the installation. This has been done and we should have some updates to the blog and daily position reports posted to the shiptrak.org site from now on. Lets hope it all works properly as I cannot properly test the HF radio whilst in James Bay as the high cliffs of the island do not allow me to get a good transmission to the Winlink stations. If it does not work, we will just have to continue using the expensive satellite phone for basic updates to our family members and friends.

I am typing this on Monday morning, November 15. The crew are off on a quick tour of St Helena and, as soon as I have posted this, I will be going ashore to collect a few loaves of bread and some rolls, clearing out with emigration and then we should be ready to set sail around 15:00 once the crew have returned from their tour and brought some drums of fresh water back to top up our tanks.

So, for now, regards from Dylan, Juan, Conrad and myself, John

The Journey Continues
John
10/10/2010, Cape Town

Since delivering Ultima Life to Cape Town, she has been used buy the owner and his family on a regular basis. I, on the other hand have been pottering around at home and doing some boat work for owners at the various marinas in and around Cape Town. My last project was to assist the Australian owner of the new Leopard 46 "Scolamanzi" prepare his boat for the first big sail - crossing the Atlantic from Cape Town to Chaguaramas, Trinidad. Scolamanzi is really a fantastic boat and now well fitted and equipped. She is due to depart Cape Town at the end of this month (October).

At the same time as Scolamanzi departs, I should be departing on the same route with Ultima Life - Cape Town to St Helena to Chaguaramas.

As I write this blog entry, Ultima Life is being used by the factory as a "show boat" on the Cape Town International Boat Show in the V&A Waterfront Marina, which ends later today. From next week I will start to get her prepared for the delivery and slowly provision her for a 4-up crew. At the moment I have to still find a fourth person to help on the delivery, which I should have sorted out by the end of next week.

So, that is what is happening in this part of the world at the moment. More updates closer to the departure date of 1 November.

The Last Leg
John
21/06/2010, Cape Town

Port Elizabeth is not my favourite port to stop in - it is dirty and we arrived to find that there had been a big storm in February, which had destroyed most of the marina. Due to this we tied up against a few fishing boats that are used for squid fishing. In the long run this was not too bad as you then do not have to pay for mooring fees. The yacht club was operating well and a new caterer has been appointed since my last visit about a year ago. They offer a much better service and it was great to be able to relax on the deck with a beer and some decent food.

We waited out the front that eventually passed on the Tuesday afternoon and through the night. At 08:30 on Wednesday we took our lines off the fishing boat and called port control to get permission to depart, which was granted with no delays. Then out to a very bumpy sea for a few hours until we were able to start heading west after rounding Cape Recife. We now also had the wind and swell on the port quarter, making conditions a lot smoother.

It was a pleasant sail at first, then some motor-sailing as the wind slowly died, followed with a lot of motoring again. I knew that a large front was again heading in from the south Atlantic and we monitored its progress each morning and evening. It appeared to slow down a bit and as we approached the most southern tip of Africa, Cape Agulhas, I decided to try and beat the front to Cape Town - a good decision as the front was big and we did manage to get into Cape Town just after 07:00 on Saturday morning.

So, Ultima Life is now in the V&A Waterfront, in front of the Cape Grace Hotel. The owner is still to decide when and where he wants the boat eventually taken. In the mean time it will be used for local sailing with family and friends.

Until the next delivery - John

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]

 

 
Powered by SailBlogs