Bookmark and Share
The Delivery Guy
John delivers new catamarans mostly from Cape Town, South Africa, to various destinations around the world - follow his next trip from London, United Kingdom to Fort Lauderdale, USA.
Departed Mindelo
07/05/2011, North Atlantic

We actually departed Mindelo on Wednesday at noon but experienced gale-force winds, right on the nose for the first four hours at sea. We did not get very far in those four hours and eventually, I decided it was crazy to continue in the conditions. Thus, we turned around and it took us half an hour to get back to the marina and tie up again.

So, our second departure took place at 07:00 local time today, Saturday 7 May. As I write this blog report, we have about 20 knot winds out of the northeast with quite a lumpy sea. However, although we are bouncing about a bit, conditions are not as bad as I thought they would be. As we progress north-northwest towards the Azores, we will slowly loose the wind and the sea should calm a bit. We do have quite a bit of motor-sailing to do before we get close to Gibraltar in a couple of weeks time.

So, to try and not destroy my laptop with the continual pounding into the oncoming seas, I am going to keep this post short and wish you all well until things settle a bit and I can write a decent post.

Regards from all aboard - John.

Mindelo, Cape Verde Islands
03/05/2011, North Atlantic

Well, I decided that it was best to make for Mindelo and take on fuel as we had been doing a lot of motor-sailing. So, at 10:30 local time, we arrived at the Mindelo Marina and tied stern-too. There are not many boats in the marina at the moment and the rate charged is half that of the "in season" fee. We are staying two nights, giving the crew time to relax a bit and also do some maintenance on board.

The marina is quite modern with very clean ablution facilities, diesel at Euro 0.85c per litre and water, which works on a pre-paid meter. Security is pretty good with both the port police hanging around as well as a security company doing patrols. There is a floating bar, where we have all tried the local brew, which has quite a high alcohol content of 6.7 percent.

I plan to leave on Wednesday morning and start the leg up to Gibraltar - we will decide where we may stop next as we get closer to the entrance to the Mediterranean Sea.

Regards from Dave, Josh, Mathys and myself, John

Slow Progress
26/04/2011, South Atlantic

Since crossing the equator, we first experienced the thundershowers and lightning storms associated with the ITCZ. The only good thing about the ITCZ is that we were able to catch a lot of fresh water to do washing in - both ourselves and our clothes We have now broken out of the "zone" and are once again in favourable weather, but not the winds we need. So, we are doing some sailing when the wind angle allows it, but mostly either straight motoring or motor-sailing.

So, what do we do when motoring - simple, try and catch supper! As can be seen in the above photo, Josh and Mathys had some fun landing last nights dinner. I must admit, I have caught quite a few sailfish before on deliveries, but this one took the cake for size. And what a lovely dinner we had! Now we have our freezer near full and should not have to do any further fishing for some time.

Our next port of call should be Cadiz, Spain. However, we are consuming a lot more diesel at the moment than I had planned for, for this section of the delivery and if our wind angle does not improve in the next day or two, we will most likely have to stop briefly in the port of Mindelo in the Cape Verde Islands. Not something I really want to have to do. I will fire off another blog report in a few days to let you know what progress we are having and what our decision is regarding a Mindelo stop.

So, whilst you savour the above photograph, we will continue savouring the actual fish. Regards from all aboard, John.

The Invisible Line
23/04/2011, South Atlantic

On Saturday 23 April, at 05:01 local time (06:01 UTC or 08:01 SAST), we crossed that invisible line called the equator, whilst at 16 deg. 42.48 minutes west. There was no celebration as the only person awake at the time was Dave - it was his watch. However, I did have a bottle of South African "bubbly" in my cabin that we chilled for the day and at 5pm celebrated the event and gave a little to Neptune te ensure good winds and safe sailing in the Northern Hemisphere. Nothing like a bit of old sailors superstition to add to the event!

The last few days have involved a lot of motoring and not too much sailing as we are in what is known as the ITCZ or, using the old fashion term, the doldrums. There has been not enough wind to sail by but just enough of a breeze to keep us all from cooking. Today the thermometer only showed 30 degrees C, but coupled with the humidity, conditions are very uncomfortable. But, this is what I expected and we just have to acclimatise ourselves to it for a while.

The Cape Verde Islands are north-northwest of us (about 900 nautical miles) and we should pass them, leaving them to starboard, in about six days. I would only stop there if it was absolutely necessary as my previous experience there was not a pleasant one - lots of crime and drug addicts! So, at the moment our plans are to continue all the way to Cadiz, Spain, where we will re-fuel and take on some fresh water and provisions. A few weeks hard sailing lies ahead of us!

On board life is actually quite boring. Sleep, stand watch, sleep, play cards, eat, stand watch etc. Each morning at 06:00 we put out our fishing lines and hope for a nice fat Dorado. Nah, not today, only skipjack, which is not the tastiest of fish. Josh did manage to hook a nice big Dorado yesterday, but as he was struggling to land it on the boat, the fish gave one final leap out of the water, straight into Josh, knocking him back onto the deck and at the same time the hook came out and we now have the story of "the one that got away". Oh well, we just hope for some more to take the lure in the days to come.

After departing Ascension I started our "Ship Spotting Competition", which runs until we are about 100 nautical miles from Cadiz. The score card is still blank - we actually have not seen another ship since about half way to St Helena. The prize for the person spotting the most ships on this leg is still to be decided. However, it will most likely be a good bottle of some fine Turkish plonk!

Our email has been down for the past 48 hours and thus our latest positions did not show on ShipTrak. However, this has now been rectified by the Winlink team and all appears to be back up and working.

Hope you all are having a fine Easter weekend with lots of bunnies bringing chocolate eggs - we had a packet of mini Bar One chocolates to celebrate, which Mathys promptly depleted during his watch.

Until the next blog report, regards from Josh, Dave, "Bar One" Mathys and myself, John

Ascension Island and Onward
20/04/2011, South Atlantic

We arrived at Ascension Island on the Sunday morning, as noted in my previous blog report. After anchoring we had a good breakfast of bacon, eggs and sausages and then spent the day doing a bit of cleaning and resting. On Monday morning we organised a lift ashore with one of the work boats (there is no ferry service and we do not have a tender), did our clearing with the port control office and then customs and immigration at the police station.

Kitty George is the manager of the Port Office and she directed us to the local hotel where we had to hire a car and go to the airport to try and find our parcel from England. Let me explain that Ascension is a volcanic island with very few "main" roads - it is hard to get lost! Well, we did not get lost - we passed the USAF base, turned right into the airport and ended up at the administration office of the RAF. They phoned around to try and find who was handling our parcel and after about an hour we received a message that the person responsible had taken it to the Port Office whilst we were at the airport. Back at Kitty George's office we found our parcel waiting.

Back on the boat we installed the new display and, with a borrowed cordless drill and bits, made the necessary holes in the deck and mounted the new GPS unit - all a neat job, if I say so myself. And everything worked perfectly when I threw the circuit breaker!

On Tuesday morning we had a walk round Georgetown, the capital of the island. Let me explain that Georgetown is not a city, not even a town. It is a village with a few houses, some shops with limited goods for sale, a police station, court building and a fire station. Oh, and there are a few old ruins to visit. Not too exciting!

After handing back the hired car we arranged a lift back to the boat and prepared for our next leg of our journey - all the way to Cadiz, Spain if all goes well. At 12 noon (UTC) we raised our mainsail and our anchor, bid the port control farewell and started off in a fair breeze, heading north.

The past two days have been good sailing but accompanied with many rain showers. We are now two degrees south of the equator and motorsailing in only a light easterly breeze. I expect a few days of this type of condition as we pass through the ITCZ or "doldrums". We should cross the equator sometime on Friday evening. Our course should then take us north-northwest, through the Cape Verde Island chain towards the Azores. However, well south of the Azores we should be able to tack and then slowly head east-northeast towards Cadiz. Let's see if that is how things pan out!

With a few more fish in the freezer, I bid you well and regards from the crew. John.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


John Titterton ZS1JNT
Who: John
Port: Cape Town
View Complete Profile »
SailBlogs Friends
In the Wind Allora 

Powered by SailBlogs