The Delivery Guy

John delivers new catamarans mostly from Cape Town, South Africa, to various destinations around the world - follow his next trip from London, United Kingdom to Fort Lauderdale, USA.

11 December 2012 | North Atlantic
08 December 2012 | North Atlantic
01 December 2012 | North Atlantic
23 November 2012 | North Atlantic
14 November 2012 | North Atlantic
05 November 2012 | North Atlantic
03 November 2012 | North Atlantic
29 October 2012 | North Atlantic
26 October 2012 | North Atlantic
23 October 2012 | Sines, Portugal
06 October 2012 | Brighton, UK
26 September 2012 | London
13 September 2012 | Cape Town
21 August 2012 | Indian Ocean
15 August 2012 | Indian Ocean
07 August 2012 | Nosi Be, Madagascar
29 July 2012 | Mozambique Chanel
27 July 2012 | Richards Bay, South Africa
05 June 2012 | St George's Harbour, Bermuda
28 May 2012 | North Atlantic

Closing on St Helena

23 November 2007
John
We (Shaun and I) have been chatting to a number of our fellow hams in Cape Town over the past few days and have been updated on the news on the home front. Thanks to all that have been in contact with us. I must admit that the news of the high winds and flooding in some areas of the Cape were expected after receiving the weather updates on a daily basis to see what we were expecting - remember that we are now well north and only a couple of days out of St Helena.

On the sailing front (this is supposed to be a sailing blog), there is not much to report. The wind we had has died down to 18 knots from the east-southeast and the seas have flattened a bit to permit us to sail with the spinnaker again. At our current daily runs we should make James Bay, St Helena, on Sunday afternoon. We have all made the decision that, due to arriving on a Sunday and not being able to undertake the clearing-in formalities, we are all going to get stuck in and try and service both engines and undertake the few repairs that need to be done on Sunday afternoon and that will leave the Monday and Tuesday morning to explore the island.

Getting back to radio, I have once again been helping Gilbert of the marine radio station on the island (St Helena Radio) with some message passing exercises to give his staff some practice. Although I have met Gilbert, I have never visited the marine radio station and thus do not know the people I talk to each day. This time I will make an effort to pay a visit and chat to the folk that run the station.

On the fishing front, we have had no lines out since catching the two large yellow-fin Tuna. However, we will put them out again on Sunday morning. Whatever we catch will be used as gifts when we reach the island.

As mentioned above, we are under spinnaker and making a good 8 knots. Due to a few squalls coming through we drop the spinnaker at night and sail on the genoa or a combination of the genoa and "iron sail" (55hp Yanmar). Our batteries are not keeping a charge as they should and doing a bit of motor-sailing at night is helping charge them properly.

The above photo was shot by Shaun earlier - note the overcast sky, which we are hoping will clear as we get closer to St Helena.

With 350 nautical miles to St Helena, that's all for now folks - see you in a day or two. Regards from all aboard.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ultima Life
Vessel Make/Model: Majestic 53
Hailing Port: Cape Town
Crew: John
About:
John Titterton has sailed over 350 000 nm in the years he has been delivering sailing vessels. He has sailed the Mediterranean Sea, South and North Atlantic, Caribbean Sea and Pacific with a bit of the Indian Ocean thrown in for luck! This blog follows his deliveries as they occur. [...]

John Titterton ZS1JNT

Who: John
Port: Cape Town